Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
Sep 24, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #377 of 482

Quote:

Nice they are offering OCC wires! I like this, you will love the Ref5....I loved mine very much.  

Forgot to edit my post... Actually I switched my order to a REF7 at the last minute
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #378 of 482

Quote:

Nice they are offering OCC wires! I like this, you will love the Ref5....I loved mine very much.  

loved? as in you don't love it any more since you sold it? 
tongue.gif
 Or do you still have it tigz?

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #380 of 482

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Reference 5 with tube amps? It seems a good match with the roc, however, does it go well with tubes? Thanks!

I much preferred Ref5 with LD IV SE than Auditor with HD600. Imo Ref is too analytical for SS amps, especially for those which are more analytical.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #381 of 482
That's interesting to hear regarding the LD mk iv.

I was looking at the LD mk vi and wondering if this will be a good pairing? I have not heard it, but I was just looking for a good tube amp.

Or any other tube amp that anyone would recommend?

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #383 of 482
Depends on what you like, the DSP1 is dead neutral and brings to the table some additional wrinkles the DF1704 simply isn't capable of (the DSP1 can be manipulated via DIP switches on the pcb module itself controlling a number of options, like dithering,OS rate, stop band attenuation rate, bit depth, etc all of which makes the DSP1 module far more flexible). The DF1704 has no such provision AFAIK and is somewhat uneven in voicing with a detailed yet tipped up upper mid.high region. The difference is subtle yet noticeable according to reviews here. There are other notable differences but the bottom line is......

the DSP1 simply outclasses the DF1704 in every respect worth mentioning. Have a look a slim.a 's excellent comparison between the DAC19 MK III DF and the DAC19 (MK IV)DSP1 for some spot on observations related to the DSP1.

Peete.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #384 of 482
Quote:
musico said:

That's interesting to hear regarding the LD mk iv.

I was looking at the LD mk vi and wondering if this will be a good pairing? I have not heard it, but I was just looking for a good tube amp.

Or any other tube amp that anyone would recommend?

I have the Re5-LD MKVI-HD800. I like the combo just fine.  I think the Re5 with its low output impedance and natural voicing will work with most amps whether SS or tube, so it comes down to what you like.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #386 of 482
Just a quick heads up... Kingwa just posted on the Audio-GD frontpage that all PCM1704UK models will be discontinued in a few months. I´m glad I got mine just in time. Soon R2R chips will be officially gone from the market it seems :/

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #388 of 482
Wow, glad I got my REF5 in time. There probably is a good alternative for R2R like that Sabre, but I've been searching so long for acceptable digital sources, I'll just stick with my beloved REF5 until one of us dies.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #390 of 482
This makes me want to think one of two things.

My first instinct was to drop my hopes of getting the nfb-1 (or nfb-7) and immediately get a ref-5 since window of opportunity is closing.

After I thought about it, and after IPodPJ pointed out the PCM1704UK are still being produced, I began to wonder why Kingwa would do such a thing. Does he believe his new line of sabre dacs offer better value? Could there be any other reason? I think it would take quite a bit to base his entire line-up of dacs around these sabre32 chips. Who knows, they just might meet our expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back