Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
Sep 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #391 of 482
It´s most likely a cost issue. The PCM1704UK has been getting more expensive and harder to find in good quantities, and it´s more expensive to implement than the Sabre32 too as it requires a separate expensive digital filter. Especially the code for the DSP-1 probably hasn´t been very cheap to produce either.. My guess is that the price would have to go up soon, combined with the fact that the Sabre32 is a good chip too. Not to mention cheaper and more cost-efficient to implement. 

Disclaimer: I don´t mean that the PCM1704UK is superior to the Sabre32 in sound quality. I have no idea about that! Personally I went for the PCM1704UK because it´s such a legendary chip I wanted to be able to try it before it´s no longer possible at a sensible price point
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #392 of 482
Maybe the thread title needs to be changed to "Reference 5 -- Going soon"? 
biggrin.gif

That's likely it though -- if he can make as good a DAC for much less, he isn't going to sell a much more expensive version with a different DA chip.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #393 of 482
Hi guys, quick question:

I just placed my order for the Reference 5 DSP-1 as I've been lusting after one of Kingwa's designs for quite some time and my window of opportunity seems to be limited as he is moving away from the 1704 entirely. This will be my first DAC and it will be paired together with a pair of HD650s. I have yet to purchase a headphone amp (that will be my next purchase, I'm leaning towards a WA6SE w/ PP) and won't be able to afford one for some time. Will I be able to drive my headphones properly connected directly to the DAC (presumably using some type of RCA -> 1/4" connector)? Will I run into any potential issues, and is there any risk of damaging or putting undesirable stress on my new DAC? Obviously the sound quality will be suboptimal but that's something I'm willing to accept until I can afford my ideal amp.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I did some preliminary research and couldn't come up with much, I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #394 of 482
Get a cheap amp. Starving student is still being sold in the amp section for cheap I believe.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #396 of 482

Quote:
Hi guys, quick question:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I did some preliminary research and couldn't come up with much, I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback.

That doesn't sound a good idea to me.
I think technically you could drive them, but getting a decent sound....
confused.gif

The problem is the output impedance of the DAC: I don't know the specifications but it will be definitely too high to drive the headphones.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #397 of 482

Will I be able to drive my headphones properly connected directly to the DAC (presumably using some type of RCA -> 1/4" connector)? Will I run into any potential issues, and is there any risk of damaging or putting undesirable stress on my new DAC?

You will be able to drive your headphones but not properly. RE-5's output stage will be stressed, but unlikely that it will be permanently damaged. You will have limited volume range with 2V RCA output and 300Ω headphones.

All this is my estimation. Ask KingWa for proper answers.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #398 of 482

Quote:
I'm leaning towards a WA6SE w/ PP) and won't be able to afford one for some time.

I'm sure you can manage a 50$ cmoy since you placed an order for a 1k DAC.
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #399 of 482
I know someone who connected his HD650 to the balanced outputs of a Lavry DA10 and he was happy with the sound. No damage was done to the DAC or the headphones - he said:)

However I used once a pair of AudioTechnica ES7 with an adapter directly fom RCA outputs of a DAC and I think there was some audible distortion.I liked the headphones better from a little Bravo Amp.

You should try it.. I doubt you will damage your gear.

PS:
Since you bought a balanced DAC you should be after a balanced Amp. If I remember correctly KingWa said that in SE mode Ref5 = 19DSP.

Quote:
Hi guys, quick question:

I just placed my order for the Reference 5 DSP-1 as I've been lusting after one of Kingwa's designs for quite some time and my window of opportunity seems to be limited as he is moving away from the 1704 entirely. This will be my first DAC and it will be paired together with a pair of HD650s. I have yet to purchase a headphone amp (that will be my next purchase, I'm leaning towards a WA6SE w/ PP) and won't be able to afford one for some time. Will I be able to drive my headphones properly connected directly to the DAC (presumably using some type of RCA -> 1/4" connector)? Will I run into any potential issues, and is there any risk of damaging or putting undesirable stress on my new DAC? Obviously the sound quality will be suboptimal but that's something I'm willing to accept until I can afford my ideal amp.

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #400 of 482
The way I understand the Ref5 is the output stage is similiar to the DAC19.  My DAC19 couldn't drive a soundcard input with 500 ohm impedance (large 3rd harmonic distortion.)  So based on that I doubt the ref5 would do a much better job driving 600ohm headphones,  it certainly wouldn't be at its best.

Just invest a few bucks and build a couple Jisbos's.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #401 of 482
I really appreciate the advice everyone. I know what I was asking was far from optimal but thank you for putting things in perspective.

I know I will be under-utilizing my new DAC without using it in a balanced configuration, but I'm fine with that until I can afford something better. The DAC was kind of a long-term investment in my eyes and I'm OK with not being able to take full advantage of it right from the start.

Does anyone have any experience with the AudioGD C2? It looks like a nice little amp and would match my other gear nicely, plus I could take advantage of the ACSS connection. I've made a thread in the headphone amp section here (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516320/audiogd-reference-5-dsp-1-on-the-way-need-a-good-entry-level-amp-hd650) and I appreciate any further input you guys might have.

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #402 of 482
I would deter you from getting the C2 if you are going for the Ref 5. Just use any amp you have available, even an mp3 player with dac line-in, until you can afford a roc SA (slightly sweet) or roc (neutral).

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #403 of 482

Quote:
I would deter you from getting the C2 if you are going for the Ref 5. Just use any amp you have available, even an mp3 player with dac line-in, until you can afford a roc SA (slightly sweet) or roc (neutral).

I disagree.  He should have an amp in the meantime, and when he has more saved up he can sell the C2 (there will always be someone who wants to buy one) and purchase a Roc or something higher up the chain.  The C2-C was a very very good budget amp (yes, I listened to it) and the C2 is supposedly better.  Go for it wompa.  If you send me a PM I can put you in touch with two people that owned one so you can get first hand opinions.

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #405 of 482
Ipodpj makes a valid point, but keep in mind you will be losing a little money reselling the C2 if you upgrade later on. But the good thing is you don't have to recable your headphones to fully utilize the C2, and hearing audio-gd's neutral acss in single-ended is a good starting point and will make it easier to decide if you need to upgrade amp further than C2, or which amp you want to upgrade to in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back