Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
Jun 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #347 of 482
To me it just sounds like whining. We'd have to change the firmware, and that would be hard! I'm not impressed. I'm willing to bet that Jkeny's battery powered Hiface, with a total cost less than the Legato, sounds the same or better at 44.1, and of course will sound infinitely better at 88, 96, 176 and 192 as the Legato produces no sound at those frequencies. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #349 of 482
Checked the MIDI setup utility this morning, and it looks like my Ref 5 has the older chip. Only 16bit is available :frowning2:

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #352 of 482
Okay some feedback regarding ref 5. Since 2 days ago I finally believe it is completely burned in. Bass has become reeeeaaaaallllly good on a subwoofer, I thought the sub was below average but now its amazing. Its been almost 2 months since I received it(listening for about 4 hours per day every day) and at first the only big disappointment was the bass which was almost non-existent.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #353 of 482
If RE-5 is anything like RE-1, treat it with some power filtering/conditioning, nice power cable and perhaps some simple kind of vibration control. Nothing extravagant or expensive: old server UPS with or without batteries, self made power cable, sorbothane feet... stuff like this. RE-1 rewarded each care step with slight or not so slight SQ rewards.

Good digital cable and power filtering being not so slight ones.

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #354 of 482

Quote:
If RE-5 is anything like RE-1, treat it with some power filtering/conditioning, nice power cable and perhaps some simple kind of vibration control. Nothing extravagant or expensive: old server UPS with or without batteries, self made power cable, sorbothane feet... stuff like this. RE-1 rewarded each care step with slight or not so slight SQ rewards.

Good digital cable and power filtering being not so slight ones.

Thanks for the advice. Any tips on power filter/strip? There's not many options available in Slovenia. I was looking at Supra power strips with filter but they are not "star" wired and thus am not sure if it is the best budget choice.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #355 of 482

Quote:
"In order to avoid costly compromises needed to accommodate multiple sampling rates the Legato operates only at 44.1 kHz."

I'm sorry, but that's a really weak argument. What, they couldn't spend $10 for a second 48kHz clock? And even with only one, why can't it operate at 88.2 or 176.4? That doesn't seem like sound engineering to me at all. If you can't even get it to play high-rez files without "compromise", what good is it?

Weak, eh? Design one yourself. Then tell us how weak that is.

This is why I try to avoid these forums. Everyone is an expert, yet no one has actually ever designed anything. You have no comprehension into the amount of work it takes to get it right.

Pat

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #356 of 482
Just wanted to say my Ref5 arrived friday. First impressions, not burned in, are very positive. Once I got the balanced cables, do some tweaking and got 400 hours on it I'll be able to form more permanent impressions. But even now, it beats my last three sources; The Havana, The Stagedac and the Rega Apollo.

One more thing though, am I the only one who feels this thing would look much better with black or brass screws?

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #358 of 482

Well good point on both accounts.  I thought people knew that AudiGD is probably the world's best analog DAC designer but his digital section work is average.  I've yet to find a designer good at both,  the analog section is 90% of the sound when mated to a good transport anyway.  Its like asking your optomistist to look fic your bloodpressure.   If you want it all you are going to have to shell out big big talked $8 to $15K.

Quote:
To me it just sounds like whining. We'd have to change the firmware, and that would be hard! I'm not impressed. I'm willing to bet that Jkeny's battery powered Hiface, with a total cost less than the Legato, sounds the same or better at 44.1, and of course will sound infinitely better at 88, 96, 176 and 192 as the Legato produces no sound at those frequencies. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Okay some feedback regarding ref 5. Since 2 days ago I finally believe it is completely burned in. Bass has become reeeeaaaaallllly good on a subwoofer, I thought the sub was below average but now its amazing. Its been almost 2 months since I received it(listening for about 4 hours per day every day) and at first the only big disappointment was the bass which was almost non-existent.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #360 of 482
Thanks, if I can't find the screws myself I'll give Kingwa a mail.

My balanced cables arrived today; I installed them and the difference is instantly audible: a more authoritive sound, more powerful, explicit, beter defined bass, larger soundstage, more speed and swing but also harder treble, the slight but pleasant roll-off is gone.

It has become more matter-of-fact, less impressionistic...not always a good thing but in general I love it.

Since my DAC is not yet fully burned in nor -after that- carefully tweaked that might either take some getting used too or it will go away. I wonder if the amp has got to get on speed? It has been used single-ended for 10 heads...anyway, the slight rough edge sounds like a typical burning-in artefact and despite that I already enjoyed a few hours of I-forgot-how-great-that-sounds and I-never-heart-that-before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back