Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
May 20, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #183 of 482

Quote:
Reference 5 DF arrived today!!!! YEY!  I am not listening to it until I let it run for 48 hours+ :)  I will post first impressions at that time, including comparing ACSS cables to the XLR. The cans I will be using are Beyer dt880's (600 ohm) rewired/balanced with blue dragon cable.  For the heck of it I will throw in my impressions of the 7506's also.  

Congrats on your new DAC. I'm very curoius about your findings, in particular ACSS vs balanced. I have a DAC19 (which I contemplate upgrading at one point) and the ROC, running on single ended RCA in between, but balanced via headphones.

There is one thing, however, which holds me back from Ref5 and a second which draws me closer.
First - REF 5 doesn't seem to output balanced signal through ACSS, but single ended, as it carries only 2 modules. For balanced operation it should need 4.
Second thing is the fact that I'll probably have to sell my entire dynamic headphone system in favor of my new Omega2 & KGSS (save the magical K501). And these two will need a balanced source down the road.

May 20, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #184 of 482
^ There are 4 ACSS modules in the Ref5. The other 2 modules are 'hidden' underneath the digital input & DSP-1 PC boards.

May 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #185 of 482
I don't know about that, I doubt it.

The ACSS output connector on REF5 has only 2 wires, just as my single ended DAC19.
On the other hand the fully balanced ROC has a 3 wire affair on the ACSS input.

May 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #186 of 482
Quick question for the Audio-GD dac owners: I'm playing some hi-res music, but I have some problems with 88.2khz files.
My Ref.5 is connected to a pc though optical and this frequency is not supported by the sound card, so I have to resample to 96.
In a few days I'll buy a m2tech hiface, and I'm wondering if the ref.5 will play those files without any resample.
The max frequency is 96khz, but what about 48khz and 88?

May 20, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #187 of 482
My Ref-1 plays 88khz files from HDTracks fine (with the Ref-3 now and with the  Bel Canto 24/96 convertor I had). Don't know if it resamples them or plays them native- all sound beautiful. Should be the same with the Ref-5.

May 20, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #188 of 482
Quote:

The ACSS output connector on REF5 has only 2 wires, just as my single ended DAC19.

ACSS on the Ref5 has 3 wires, the GND is connected with the XLR output.

May 21, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #189 of 482

Quote:
My Ref-1 plays 88khz files from HDTracks fine (with the Ref-3 now and with the  Bel Canto 24/96 convertor I had). Don't know if it resamples them or plays them native- all sound beautiful. Should be the same with the Ref-5.

The USB input on the Ref.3 is up to 48/16, so I guess it will first downsample to 44/48 and then upsample to the user selected output (48, 96, 192). You should be able to play them with the Ref.1 but you'll loose the recording information.
The Bel Canto USB link on the other hand supports input rate of 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96kHz, so you were playing hi-res files natively.

May 21, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #190 of 482

Quote:

Email Audio-gd and ask to confirm whether or not the ACSS is balanced. Anyway, with the Stax amps I imagine you'll be using XLR anyway, which is undoubtably fully balanced.

Quote:
Quick question for the Audio-GD dac owners: I'm playing some hi-res music, but I have some problems with 88.2khz files.
My Ref.5 is connected to a pc though optical and this frequency is not supported by the sound card, so I have to resample to 96.
In a few days I'll buy a m2tech hiface, and I'm wondering if the ref.5 will play those files without any resample.
The max frequency is 96khz, but what about 48khz and 88?

Don't see why it wouldn't, but you may as well email them to confirm.  I have 88.2k files and they work with the Ref 1 without any problems (with Amarra automatically switching the computer's output to 88.2k when they are played).

May 23, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #192 of 482

Quote:
Quote:

ACSS on the Ref5 has 3 wires, the GND is connected with the XLR output.

I just had a close look at the RE5's ACSS wiring and indeed it's only using pins 2 and 3 (pin 1 and 4 are jumper-ed together in my RE1/Phoenix for GND lead) I guess Kingwa decided that the GND line was unnecessary with the RE5. Not to worry though it's still balanced operation since pin 2 is + and pin 3 - IIRC. * In the DAC19 the pins used are the GND and + (1 and 2) which is single ended. The C2 ACSS input will be single ended (using pin 1 and 2) obviously.

* I think however the single ended wiring scheme might be inverted using pins 1 and 3. I seem to remember from rewiring the single ended and acss/xlr I/O of the RE1 and the Phoenix I had to invert some connections to gain correct phase response. After looking at the C2 and DAC19 ACSS connection pics it looks as though they are inverted (pins 1 and 3). I hope I have those right. I'm sure Kingwa will chime in If I've made an error.

I know this sounds like I'm confused somewhat (maybe a little...
bigsmile_face.gif
)..at any rate maybe this post has helped a smidgen.

Peete.

May 23, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #193 of 482
Quote:
I just had a close look at the RE5's ACSS wiring and indeed it's only using pins 2 and 3 (pin 1 and 4 are jumper-ed together in my RE1/Phoenix for GND lead) I guess Kingwa decided that the GND line was unnecessary with the RE5. Not to worry though it's still balanced operation since pin 2 is + and pin 3 - IIRC. * In the DAC19 the pins used are the GND and + (1 and 2) which is single ended. The C2 ACSS input will be single ended (using pin 1 and 2) obviously.

* I think however the single ended wiring scheme might be inverted using pins 1 and 3. I seem to remember from rewiring the single ended and acss/xlr I/O of the RE1 and the Phoenix I had to invert some connections to gain correct phase response. After looking at the C2 and DAC19 ACSS connection pics it looks as though they are inverted (pins 1 and 3). I hope I have those right. I'm sure Kingwa will chime in If I've made an error.

I know this sounds like I'm confused somewhat (maybe a little...
bigsmile_face.gif
)..at any rate maybe this post has helped a smidgen.

Peete.

The Ref5 ACSS connector does have 3 wires. The GND wire isn't very visible on the Audio-gd Ref5 page. The GND wire color is black, that makes it even more difficult for us to see it, especially with poor lighting used when Kingwa took those pics. I can take a few pics of the ACSS wiring in the Ref5 if anyone wants to see it. 
regular_smile .gif

Edit:

May 24, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #194 of 482
Well guys,

I cheated a little and listened for like 1 hour to my system, I did not want to stop listening but I forced myself lol.  (this is only like 60 hours burned in)

As a preview to my review of the Reference 5 - DF,  I can tell you that this is probably the end of my amp and dac searching.... The best setup I have ever heard/owned period.  

Also from quick A/B- ing between acss and XLR, the ACSS has the xlr beat for balanced.  When listening to ACSS it seems I am hearing more of the reverbs and the details, and trailing off of sounds compared to the XLR, dont get me wrong they both sound fantasic... but I find myself going to ACSS and staying there.  

I also used my moon audio 4-pin to 1/4" adapter to compare to SE'd and WOW..... lol.... NIGHT and DAY compared to Balanced cans with 4-pin.  There is just no contest the balanced destroy the single-ended.  

My Beyer 880 (600ohms) are sounding absoutely amazing with this setup, I am very excited.  

I will post details with albums listened to etc, probably in a new thread... because I want everyone to know how awesome this sounds,  I am tempted to buy another ref5 and roc just as backup !!!!! lol  Or a Ref 5 and one of Audio-gd integrated amps w/ ACSS for my audiophile speaker rig.    

more to come....KINGWA for the win!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #195 of 482
Sounds interesting. Now to figure out if it is worth the extra cash to get the Ref 5DF over the DAC-19 DSP. Planning on just using RCA to my MAD Ear+ HD and maybe use ACSS with balanced headphone (DT880 most likely) on the Audio-GD Roc (buy much later down the road I presume). I am looking forward yo your review 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back