Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
May 12, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #166 of 482

Quote:
Any comparisons between Ref. 5 and DAC9Mk3? This would be very VERY interesting. They're pretty much in the same price class.

According to Kingwa, the 9mk3 has a softer, more musical sound. Greater dynamics, wider sound stage and a darker background. He told me that even with the DSP, the ref 5 is still not as good as the 9mk3. I nearly wanted to get the 9mk3 but decided on the ref 5 DF instead due to budget constraints.

May 13, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #172 of 482

Quote:
Patu, I have a Ref 5 on the way...we should have a mini-meet.

Interesting. Are you coming to Helsinki anytime soon? :)

Quote:
According to Kingwa, the 9mk3 has a softer, more musical sound. Greater dynamics, wider sound stage and a darker background. He told me that even with the DSP, the ref 5 is still not as good as the 9mk3. I nearly wanted to get the 9mk3 but decided on the ref 5 DF instead due to budget constraints.

Ok. I'm not sure if I want any softer sound but DAC9Mk3 surely interests me now. How do you select inputs on the DAC9Mk3 when there's no switch on the front panel? Also I wonder if it's possible to get more inputs there. RCA + BNC isn't enough.

May 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #173 of 482

Quote:
That's reasonable. Though the DAC9 has no USB and optical input and I don't know how it works with lower end transports.
Having said that If I had the money I'd have chosen the Ref.7 :)

You can add those in (definitley the optical, not sure if Kingwa will add USB but you could get a HiFace for that).
Ask Kingwa if he thinks the 19 with DSP would be better than the 9 w/o it.

May 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #175 of 482
Hello Patu

I have a 9Mk3 with PDM100 DF, and it sound marvelous i have a DAC19MK3 for my office rig and the 9Mk3 is much more analog sounding, i prefer it to LP's, it has a darker background and sound really impressive with HDCD.

In the 9MK3 the BNC input has priority over RCA

May 14, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #176 of 482
Yey! both my blue dragon'ed dt-880s and my Ref 5 DF have shipped today!  I will post my impressions once I get em next week :D

May 18, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #178 of 482
Reference 5 DF arrived today!!!! YEY!  I am not listening to it until I let it run for 48 hours+ :)  I will post first impressions at that time, including comparing ACSS cables to the XLR. The cans I will be using are Beyer dt880's (600 ohm) rewired/balanced with blue dragon cable.  For the heck of it I will throw in my impressions of the 7506's also.  

May 19, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #179 of 482

Quote:
Hello Patu

I have a 9Mk3 with PDM100 DF, and it sound marvelous i have a DAC19MK3 for my office rig and the 9Mk3 is much more analog sounding, i prefer it to LP's, it has a darker background and sound really impressive with HDCD.

In the 9MK3 the BNC input has priority over RCA

Any more thorough impressions? Sounds very interesting.

How do you keep both inputs connected? Or does it activate BNC only when there's active signal? 

Thanks

May 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #180 of 482

Quote:
Any more thorough impressions? Sounds very interesting.

How do you keep both inputs connected? Or does it activate BNC only when there's active signal? 

Thanks

BNC has priority, unfortunally i have to shutdown the component connected to BNC in order activate RCA.

The DAC9Mk3 it's a wonderful sounding DAC, lots of details, huge stage and darker background, it's very analog sounding, it's like LP's without the clicks and pops. I can hear it for hours (even days) whitout fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back