Audio-Gd Reference 10
Dec 16, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #361 of 431
IYAshike,

it'd be interesting to hear how you like LCDs 2 because FWIW they were somehow too dark for me. It was probably caused by slightly darker Reference's DAC. Maybe that is why Reference matches quite well with HD800.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #362 of 431
  IYAshike,

it'd be interesting to hear how you like LCDs 2 because FWIW they were somehow too dark for me. It was probably caused by slightly darker Reference's DAC. Maybe that is why Reference matches quite well with HD800.

Hello PiNa.cz,

l don't know which version of LCD-2 you listened to. As far as l have understood, the last LCD-2, the 'fazor' version, is not as dark as previous models. This model is supposed to have a slightly more extended high frequency, like it sounds a bit brighter than previous versions (still, always within a dark sound signature, l believe). 

l wish l could give you my impressions today but, unfortunately, l can't! The LCD-2s are my wife's Christmas present (as l said in my previous post), so l can't listen to them until Christmas day 
frown.gif
 (amm... which doesn't mean l strictly stick to that 'rule'... l have had an initial listening and... today, l took them again for an hour... but keep the secret! 
cool.gif
).

l also got the HD-700, which is supposed to be a very bright HP so... that might help me determine how dark the LCD-2s are... Again, l haven't listened to them, either (this time, not at all
size]
). 

l will get back to you when l have had enough listening time with them, ok?  

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #365 of 431
  @IYAshike how are the lcd2 and hd700 coming along with the ref 10.32?

Hello,

lt's a bit difficult to answer at the moment 
smile.gif

My LCDs had a manufacturer defect (fazor misaligned) so l shipped them back, and l'm still waiting for my new pair... l was happy with them, but l was missing that 'amazing bass' everyone seems to love about them. As it was a defective pair, l better don't speak about the sound until l get the new one. 

When it comes to the HD-700, l was really enjoying them. l said "l was", because l sent the cable to have it reterminated to XLR last Friday. lt's been a week already without them and l really feel their absence. l really enjoy their sound. From time to time, you come to a song that has a 'weirdly' recorded treble, and the 700s will let you know. ln any case, most of the times, it does not bother me, at all. l really enjoy their sound.

By the way, the 700s are really good for movies. They provide a very good soundstage and imaging, and enough bass to feel explosions, etc. in movies.

Given the circumstances, l had to recover my Fidelio X1 and HE-400. l don't enjoy any more the former, whereas l'm (positively) rediscovering the latter. 

lf you have a specific question, let me know 
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #366 of 431
i'm enjoying the 10.32, but the instructions on audio-gd.com are really gibberish

does someone know what the default DSP settings are, and what the heck does this mean (what's the debug switch on the back for?):

Quote: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Reference10/RE10EN_Use.htm
 How to choose the settings in Reference 10.32 :
Select  the "Debug" switch on rear to setting with / without memory function .

is there a manual in actual english?

i emailed audio-gd a couple of days ago but had no response yet, guess i'll have to learn to write in chinese :wink:

@IYAshike thx for the feedback, hope you get the lcds soon, and drop some impressions, especially since you have the hd700 which is  quite complementary to the lcds, cheers!

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #367 of 431
got an answare, nothing mindblowing tho :D

when restarting the device (i guess unplugging?) if 'debug' switch is 'on' it will remember the volume settings for each input

another thing i would like to know is what is the extra green firmware IC for? i read there are two, one black(inside the 10.32?) and one green(supplied in the package?) ?

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #368 of 431
seems it's just an extra firmware ic

funny it has 32/384 usb while it only support up to 192kHz playback?

anyway, sound is very refined as an dac/amp, seems it never gets out of balance

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #372 of 431
I think most of us who bought this are done to be honest.   There are no great improvement past this point.  You got one of the best dac/amp combos going.  Any differences are going to be very small past this point.   
If you a person who  buys amp/dac combo you are probably  willing to compromise a little  on sound for the convenience (in reality you are probably not compromising)  so if you are sensible you are done.

Unless they suddenly come out with a codec that improves the interpretation of  the sound, changing amps/dacs might alter the sound a fraction.

Only my opinion, probably got ****ty hearing.   

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #373 of 431
there's one in the FS forum for sale...thinking about it. been wanting to listen to a good implementation of the 1704UK chip...i imagine it'll mate well with my hd800 and th900?

only concern is i'm set on using USB out from my computer and i hear that the 10.32's USB implementation isn't very good. problem or not?

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #374 of 431
  there's one in the FS forum for sale...thinking about it. been wanting to listen to a good implementation of the 1704UK chip...i imagine it'll mate well with my hd800 and th900?

only concern is i'm set on using USB out from my computer and i hear that the 10.32's USB implementation isn't very good. problem or not?

l have used both SPDI/F and USB inputs. Currently, l am on USB. l do not notice any difference between both inputs. However, l admit l haven't done an exhaustive A/B comparison but, the little one l did revealed USB input sounding a bit louder than SPDI/F. 

Now, USB used to cause BSOD on my PC (that's why l swope to SPDI/F). However, wanting to fix the problem, all l had to do was to plug the USB cable on a USB 3.0 port of my PC (instead of 2.0, obviously). l have never again had a BSOD. l don't know if what made sorted the problem was simply 'swapping USB ports' or 'using a 3.0 port'.  

When l used the SPDI/F input, it was via the sound card Asus Xonar Phoebus.

l have no experience listening to any of those HPs you mentioned. l am tempted to buy the HD-800 but, at the moment, l am trying to get familiar with my HD-700 before l buy the other ones. So far, l am truly enjoying the 700s (balanced). ln any case, if you 'search the thread' you'll see how many people love the pairing between the Reference 10.32 and the HD-800s. Even Mr. Kingwa, when l asked about a HP recommendation, suggested the HD-800. As far as l know, you would want to use the 'balanced out', instead of the SE.

l don't have great experience with other DAC/amps (other than my Fiio X3, sound card or a Maverick Audio 'combo' l had in the past) but, l can't be happier with this unit. The more a develop my listening skill, the more l appreciate this great device.

Hope you manage to get it! Best of luck!
Emoji_1F320.png

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #375 of 431
i believe that was the reference 10, with issues, while the 10.32 added 384kHz/32bit usb (but max input supported is still 192kHz, go figure) and firmware chip upgrade with new drivers, windows works for me, no problems, and mac os x also (os x doesn't need agd drivers), tho i have the latest ref 10.32 with all the upgrades applied

Users who are viewing this thread

Back