Audio-Gd Reference 10
Jun 24, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #406 of 431
  It seems that USB32 days are numbered. New DACs will have an option of Anamero Combo 384 board instead of USB32 if needed. According to Mr. Kingwa, the Anamero module Anamero Combo 384 should be available for separate purchase in September and it will be possible to replace the USB32 interface in older DACs with Anamero board without any soldering.

i'm not up to date on this...what improvements will the anamero combo boards offer above the older usb32 boards? thanks...

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #407 of 431
i'm not up to date on this...what improvements will the anamero combo boards offer above the older usb32 boards? thanks...

Taken from another thread - we probably need to wait till September for some head to head comparison:

Amanero combo384 is a great board, well regarded in the DIY community. It is used in my Yulong DA8 and I have yet to have a single issue with any file. 24/48/96/192, DSD, DXD all work flawlessly.

I wonder if Audio-GD will offer the board as an upgrade for previously purchased DAC's? I know I would upgrade my NFB-1DAC to the Amanero in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. The USB32 board has been pretty solid for me so far, the only issue I have had with it is it does not like the USB2.0 ports on my X58 Motherboard, USB 3.0 works perfect though.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #408 of 431
I very much look forward to that. Can't come soon enough. Had nothing but trouble with the USB32 chips.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #410 of 431
I've tried literally everything to solve the issues... Different cables, drivers, reinstall, etc... I've just come to the conclusion that it does not like my motherboard so I am looking forward to the Anamero

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #411 of 431
I'm reviving this old thread to see if there are any Ref 10/10.32 users still around willing to try the upcoming DSP V7 firmware update. I'm aware this is already being discussed in the M7/M11 threads, but then thought it might be better to post our experiences/impressions about this specific model here.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #412 of 431
Hey Strife,

l had no idea about the apparently coming V7 firmware (l'll take a look in the thread you mentioned), so l'm happy you decided to comment on it. 

When it comes to updating, as l don't know anything at the moment, l'm not sure if l'd be interested (it would mainly depend on the 'easiness' VS 'difficulty' of the process, plus the outcome, of course).

Thanks for reviving the thread! 
smile.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #414 of 431
Ok, l read both links. When it comes to difficulty, l think l'd manage it fine. But, when it comes to decide whether update or not... it doesn't seem clear to me. At the moment, l'm inclined to 'leave things as they are.' However, l have the feeling the moment l 'investigate' the M7/M11 thread you suggested, l may change my mind and decide to update 
rolleyes.gif

In any case, my Ref.10 is packed and waiting for me back home in Switzerland. So l have until June next year to think about what to do 
biggrin.gif

Keep up posted!

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #415 of 431
I will perform the upgrade when I'm back from travel.

The DSP upgrade should be a significant improvement. The design of the original DSP was probably ****ty (channel imbalance in the digital domain is a sign of this), so anything that improves timing in the FPGA is welcomed.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #416 of 431
I will perform the upgrade when I'm back from travel.

The DSP upgrade should be a significant improvement. The design of the original DSP was probably ****ty (channel imbalance in the digital domain is a sign of this), so anything that improves timing in the FPGA is welcomed.

Another compelling reason to update is that it opens up the possibility to upgrade to the Amanero Combo384 USB interface. This has been confirmed by Kingwa via email but he has yet to provide any details about the cost and installation procedure.

Edit: Just got a quote from Magna Hifi, the Amanero kit should be around € 89 + shipping. Soldering wires/components is no longer required.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #417 of 431
Upgrade to the new FPGA firmware was performed last night.

This is a MUST HAVE.

The sound takes a big step forward in clarity and sound-staging!
The bass is much less gooey and is more distinct (read: tight but still plenty impactful. Just not as fat and sluggish as before).

Mind you, this doesn't turn the Reference-10 into a lean and shouty sabre DAC, but it's a significant step towards a more neutral sound.
I always found the built-in DAC too dark (much like the Reference 5.32). While the DAC remains on the warmer side, the increase in focus and details makes it more of an all-rounder now.

Follow the procedure in the link above.
This USB blaster did work for me: http://www.ebay.com/itm/401158753382?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
You can download the Quartus 12.1 programmer on Altera's website. It's free and much smaller than the full blown Quartus that audio-gd shared (which is not needed).

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #419 of 431
is a reference 10.32 still worth around 1000 bucks used in 2018 (almost 2019 lol)? any worthy upgrade, more musical and big sound stage and "analog" sounding dac thats around 1000 bucks with newer technology?

i picked up an audeze deckard last week and very happy with it. but still itchy to get something balanced to see that make the sound bigger.

i saw one for sale that has the 384 thing upgrade, so does that make it support DSD natively?

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #420 of 431
is a reference 10.32 still worth around 1000 bucks used in 2018 (almost 2019 lol)? any worthy upgrade, more musical and big sound stage and "analog" sounding dac thats around 1000 bucks with newer technology?

i picked up an audeze deckard last week and very happy with it. but still itchy to get something balanced to see that make the sound bigger.

i saw one for sale that has the 384 thing upgrade, so does that make it support DSD natively?

Ever since l bought my Reference 10.32 l have been very, very happy with it. l have bought many headphones (and sold a few) but l've never had the urge to replace the Reference. But, to answer your question in a simple way, l would certainly say "yes, it is worth $1000, no doubt." If l were to buy a new amplifier today, l would still buy the 10.32 at $2000 because l like the way it sounds, l like it's built to last forever and l like its simple design.

The only con l find on the 10.32 is that l can't dim the screen. l have to cover it with a CD or similar. For some, its size and weight may be a con, too.

What l like about this DAC/amp, as Kingwa told me, is that it does not emphasize nor is missing anything. It's neutral, yet it has a slight warm touch (bit more solid bass that a purely neutral unit would provide). If you were to get it, l also second Kingwa on his headphone recommendation: get a pair of HD800 and a balanced cable. If you listen to these two, you may find an 'end game' pair. You may buy and sell other HPs, DACs and amps, but you'll likely keep going back to the Reference 10.32 and the HD800.

These are my two cents; l hope it helps (and it's not too late).

Below, the aforementioned pair. Only missing the balanced cable (l didn't have one at the time l took the picture... now l do :wink:).

HD800.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back