Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Aug 20, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #1,307 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My "office" ? Is that supposed to mean you don't believe me or something?

You know, when someone tries to help you and you throw this crap out. You pretty much run them off. I aksed a question related to your troubleshooting. I have no earthly idea why the word "office" ticked you off, but I'm done.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #1,308 of 2,441
Heh, c'mon Les. Even if you didn't mean it, putting office in quotes conveys a certain amount of doubt as to the veracity or legitimacy of IPodPJ's claim that he does indeed have an office (or that he tried the DAC in that location).

For the record, I have an office, and it sucks.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #1,309 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, c'mon Les. Even if you didn't mean it, putting office in quotes conveys a certain amount of doubt as to the veracity or legitimacy of IPodPJ's claim that he does indeed have an office (or that he tried the DAC in that location).

For the record, I have an office, and it sucks.

I really have no clue what you guys are talking about. I put office in quotes because I thought that was where he took it, ie the different location. You guys read something into those quotes I didn't intend to communicate. There was nothing between the lines meant there. But if two people received that message, my bad. I didn't mean it that way. I'm sub'd to a lot of threads and to be perfectly honest, following the details of this "chicken chase" is fatiguing and not getting a lot of my attention as far as detail is concerned.

I can say that if you are trying to help someone and get a few snarky replies in a row, it can work as a repellent.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #1,310 of 2,441
Look.

This is internet. Your words don't convey any feelings or emotions. You can say one thing, but others can perceive in totally different manner. Before you get around and act it out, why don't you re-read what you wrote and see if you can correct that first?

You quoted "office" as you wanted to emphasize it. I am sure you had no other intention to quote that, but PJ might take that as you are not taking his words as is.

There is no hard feeling, but since these words don't convey any feelings, emotions, and etc, it can be misunderstood.

Just my $0.02.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #1,311 of 2,441
Quote:

Thanks sandchak.
I finally found a package that weighs more than the Audio-gd gear!! My PPP arrived at my office and the box weighs 46 lbs.

Great to hear about the PPP ! nothing like clean power supply..

Clearly there is a problem with your REF1, whether its intermittent or not, I think in my personal opinion the best would be to ship the REF1 to Kingwa or wherever he has requested and get a fresh one fully tested.

I also believe that the entire problem with your REF1 was because of mods and lack of testing period (which we term as burn in period), REF1 is a complex piece of electronic gear and I think that its not so easy to just pull off a couple of wires and add a couple - in this case, it really has to go through the entire testing period to see if there are any ill effects on the gear itself.

To be honest, its a pity to see one of the most enthusiastic member (at least in this forum) live without quality music all this while.

I am sure we all have learnt a lesson out here, and I hope we stop requesting Kingwa for additional mods other than what he feels is the best for the gear - mind you there is a communication problem out here and sometimes he might just give up trying to explain, and secondly I hope Kingwa does not ship anything from his factory unless he is completely satisfied with the testing process, and of course also look into minor QC issues, such as stickers, loose screws, scratches etc..

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #1,312 of 2,441
If I were you, PJ, I'd definitely send it back no matter how small/minor/large this issue is, and whether it can be fixed/addressed by some local DIYers.

You paid well over $1700 including shipping, and I don't know about you, but that's quite substantial amount of money. I am not saying the RE1 is not worth that cost. Rather, when you pay that much money, you are entitled for the warranty and ease of mind from having any issues. I wouldn't live with any piece of gear that I have a double thoughts on.

But that's just me.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #1,313 of 2,441
Thanks for your support guys, and sorry Les if I offended you. I thought you meant something sarcastic by it, but in all fairness I'm allowed to assume that because you haven't said the nicest things to me all the time.
wink.gif
Anyway, enough about that.

Everyone else, the problem has come back. The sound is still inverting, it just doesn't do it as often. I have even removed the computer from the equation by running wireless directly to my Transporter and the clicking still occurs from turning on or off the A/C or my other fan, although not as drastic. Clearly, any minute change in the line is affecting the Ref1, even connected to the Power Plant Premier which has heavy surge and voltage spike protection. The RE1 was working okay again for about an hour and then it went back into bad mode. I've tried every possible scenario I can think of, including going to my office and to my neighbors who has a $75,000 system and testing it there. His A/C unit causes the same problem to the RE1.

By the way the Power Plant Premier is a truly awesome piece of gear and the difference in audio quality it makes is not slight in any way, especially with the Phoenix. It narrows the gap between using the HD800 with adaptors and without, although I still prefer with because of the weird impedance curve of the HD800 where the bass around 100Hz seems to lack with the Phoenix, as the curve jumps from 300 to 600 ohms at that point. The adaptors really help bring that bass back, but you lose a little transparency in the process. Have you ever heard anyone say the HD800 have too much bass? Well my girlfriend thinks so, on certain tracks with the adapters. I think it's great though.

So I finally got everything on my rack and I only have my crappy cell phone camera (which truly does not do this system justice) but I thought you guys might like to see a picture of my setup. I am very happy with it and it's taken a long time for me to get to this point (knowledge-wise and financial-wise). Please let me know what you think. The rack is finished with a black powder coat, and the shelves are advertised as having a Rosewood veneer but when they arrived the box says they are Dark Cherry. I have the light aimed on them now so they appear quite red, but when light is not directly on them they look like a nice brownish red wood (basically like what the top shelf looks like in the picture).

What you are seeing from top to bottom is this:

Top shelf
Sennheiser HD800 box -- Sennheiser HD800 on old Woo Audio stand (which is being replaced by the new black one that should be here any day now)

Second shelf
Logitech Transporter (in idle mode)

Third shelf
Phoenix Power Supply (I plan to put some cool, industrial looking sculpture next to it)

Fourth shelf
Phoenix Amp section, with 100 ohm resistance adapters (I plan to put some cool, industrial looking sculpture next to it)

Fifth shelf
The mighty PS Audio Power Plant Premier

Bottom shelf
The Reference One (of which Kingwa says he will ship me out a new one on the 30th)

08190920261v2flx.png

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #1,316 of 2,441
Quote:

Quote:

very nice, congrats on the rig.

Thanks. I'd like to see a pic of yours, too.

eek.gif

Oh.

Pardon me.

I thought I was on a headphone forum.

biggrin.gif

k

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #1,317 of 2,441
Quote:

Thanks. I'd like to see a pic of yours, too.

Great setup PJ !

Well, I have attached my PC setup, you can see from it that I am still more of a speaker man and slowly but surely getting into headphones. I am in the process of completing my main listening room (waiting for some room tuning stuffs to arrive), once that arrives the bigger rack will be off to the main listening room and a smaller rack will replace it with my Marantz CD17 - DAC19SE and (maybe ROC!) plus some better headphones ( I now only have the AKG K271 S and Sens HD600)..
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #1,318 of 2,441
I wonder if it would be worth sending the DSP board first, express, as I imagine with the voltages it uses it might be the most sensitive to having issues.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #1,319 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if it would be worth sending the DSP board first, express, as I imagine with the voltages it uses it might be the most sensitive to having issues.

Curra, I was thinking the same yesterday as I am quite sure its the DSP board (the entire center board) which might be causing the problems and Kingwa could DHL the board to him. The reasons I did not suggest is because:

1) what if there is something else causing the problem?
2) can PJ do the upgrade and is he willing to fiddle around with his REF1 more.

In any case, this is a good suggestion (although I know it would confuse PJ more on his decision)

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #1,320 of 2,441
Nice rig IpodPJ but maybe you should buy a new camera.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back