Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #1,276 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, Les, so you know, it is not going to cost Kingwa $300 for shipping like you said (even though it would actually be $240). He says I must ship it the cheapest way, which means the longest shipping time. And I guess I have to pay for it up-front? I thought he would issue a call tag for a pick-up.

So, it's going to make two trips across the Pacific for how much?

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #1,278 of 2,441
IPodPJ, get a cheap digital camera today. They cost a lot less than one of your cables these days. Take photos and post them. There are lots of people here that can offer some pretty good diagnoses based on that alone.

Plus, it's fun!

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #1,279 of 2,441
Ipodpj can't be parted with his ref 1
frown.gif
can't live with it, can't live without it
tongue.gif
? Hehe just kidding. But you know, if the left and right channel are inverted, you can swap the cables between left and right and it'll be back to normal LOL.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #1,280 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ipodpj can't be parted with his ref 1
frown.gif
can't live with it, can't live without it
tongue.gif
? Hehe just kidding. But you know, if the left and right channel are inverted, you can swap the cables between left and right and it'll be back to normal LOL.

That's not what I mean by inverted and you know it.

Well Kingwa only covers $120 worth of shipping each way. So he doesn't really pay for you to ship it back to him. Because from the United States, the Ref1 will cost $200 if you ship it with the post office, and about $400 if you ship it with DHL, UPS, or FedEx. So you'll be spending money to send it back.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #1,281 of 2,441
I don't really know how it is inverted for you, I am bad with spatiality
tongue.gif
. But if you switch the interconnects it really does create a weird inversion effect, maybe two wrongs will make a right?

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #1,282 of 2,441
This may seem like a silly question but is there an absolute polarity parameter on the transporter ? If so give her a toggle.

Peete.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #1,283 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really know how it is inverted for you, I am bad with spatiality
tongue.gif
. But if you switch the interconnects it really does create a weird inversion effect, maybe two wrongs will make a right?

No, I tried that. It's not that kind of inversion. Like I said several times, it sounds like the music is coming from behind of you.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,284 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may seem like a silly question but is there an absolute polarity parameter on the transporter ? If so give her a toggle.

Peete.

There isn't. Remember, it is a random thing with the RE1. So there is a loose connection somewhere and I honestly think it has to do with the grounding or something on the neutral/return line, because those are the only things that could be shared with the A/C circuit, as far as I know.

I can use the DAC in my Transporter in the meantime, but it isn't nearly as good as the RE1. It is, however, better than I thought it would be but it is lacking severely in the bass department. It suffers from a little bit of digititus in the highs, but less than what I remember the DL3 having.

It's just very disappointing because I was this close [makes small measurement gesture with fingers] to finishing my entire system and now it will take more time and money to get it there. Ah well, such is the way of the world I guess.... must..... stay..... happy......

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #1,285 of 2,441
Quote:

Ah well, such is the way of the world I guess.... must..... stay..... happy......

I think that's the right spirit.

Since you have a working temporary DAC, my personal recommendation would be to send it back to Kingwa and tell him that he should take as much time as he needs to get it working right. Let him do the full burn-in, and tell him not to send it until he is personally happy with it. It would be a real shame to have to deal with even more weeks/months of hassle and expense, when maybe it could just be avoided by a few extra days on the front end. When I ordered mine I did not make any requests on timing, and mine was basically perfect, so maybe that is the way to go.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #1,287 of 2,441
Quote:

No, I tried that. It's not that kind of inversion. Like I said several times, it sounds like the music is coming from behind of you.

Quote:

There isn't. Remember, it is a random thing with the RE1. So there is a loose connection somewhere and I honestly think it has to do with the grounding or something on the neutral/return line, because those are the only things that could be shared with the A/C circuit, as far as I know.

I can use the DAC in my Transporter in the meantime, but it isn't nearly as good as the RE1. It is, however, better than I thought it would be but it is lacking severely in the bass department. It suffers from a little bit of digititus in the highs, but less than what I remember the DL3 having.

It's just very disappointing because I was this close [makes small measurement gesture with fingers] to finishing my entire system and now it will take more time and money to get it there. Ah well, such is the way of the world I guess.... must..... stay..... happy......

Ok, Back to my original premise...

Are you absolutely sure you don't have your head screwed on backwards and that you have a screw loose!

wink.gif

You keep feedin' me this great material! I am trying to resist, but it's like shootin' fish in a barrel!

p.s. on a more serious note, you've had some custom work done to your canz I think recently. I can produce the effect you are talking about in about 5 min with a soldering iron if you give me your canz. Something to think about.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #1,288 of 2,441
Quote:

What does "basically" mean?
wink_face.gif
What was wrong with it?

It was pretty minimal stuff. It had a sticky label on the top that left some goo. A little rubbing with water got it out. Oh, and when I opened the chassis, there was a slight scratch on the inside of the top lid. Hardly a big deal considering it was on the inside not the outside. That's it, I think.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #1,289 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p.s. on a more serious note, you've had some custom work done to your canz I think recently. I can produce the effect you are talking about in about 5 min with a soldering iron if you give me your canz. Something to think about.

I didn't have anything done to my cans. I had an impedance adapter made.

The RE1 is starting up with "inverted" sound and is reactant to voltage spikes. I just tried a totally different circuit in my home just to rule out every possibility, even though I tried it at the office last night and it didn't make a difference. It starts out "inverted." After powering on and off the amp about 9 times, it finally threw it back to the normal way it's supposed to sound. Likewise, I plugged a fan into the outlet and when I switched on the fan, it through the RE1 back into normal sound.

So obviously there is something wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back