Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Aug 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #1,217 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long did it take for you guys to receive it once it's shipped from Kingwa? I just got notified that they shipped the product on two separate package. Is there a chance that I would be able to receive it this Friday or that's just a wishful thinking only?

Quote:

Oh. They deliver on Saturday? I didn't know that.. Hrm. I guess I can cross my fingers on this Saturday then..

It would be nice if you would quit clogging this thread up with your BS package tracking. Are you twelve years old?? It will get there when it gets there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, what are you guys talking about?

Also, what is that bulky adapter-like thing sticking out of the back of the CD7?

FIX Board for the REF 1.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #1,218 of 2,441
Quote:

Again, what are you guys talking about?

Basically, Kingwa made some upgrades/fixes to the Ref1 a few months back, and so he is providing an upgrade board to the people who bought the Ref1 before the update. The upgrade board is actually the entire middle circuit board of the Ref1 (minus the DSP-1 itself). Given that it represents almost 1/3 of the total components of the Ref1, I think it was quite nice of Kingwa to give for free, other than the cost of shipping.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #1,219 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hardest part is getting the wires on the underside straight and soldering on the little side wires I guess.

Yep, you need nice small pliers to get the little side wires, and a steady hand to get the soldering iron in there without burning something accidentally.

One other thing I remember is that you should be careful in pulling out the DSP-1 from the existing board. I guess I was a little too forceful wiggling it out, and the pins got a little bent. No big deal as I was able to straighten them up, but it would have been a PITA if they had broken.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #1,220 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, you need nice small pliers to get the little side wires, and a steady hand to get the soldering iron in there without burning something accidentally.

One other thing I remember is that you should be careful in pulling out the DSP-1 from the existing board. I guess I was a little too forceful wiggling it out, and the pins got a little bent. No big deal as I was able to straighten them up, but it would have been a PITA if they had broken.

Thanx for that. Both will be an exercise in patience for me.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #1,221 of 2,441
Thanks for the answers.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a few more questions....
Since everyone says the CD7 is the way to go with pairing with the REF1, let me ask this:

I have no plans on using a CD transport. It is cumbersome and annoying. I prefer a music server. So I just finally was able to purchase a Logitech Transporter which will be here Friday. (I got it brand new for $1399. I could have gotten a silver one for $1225, but I want black so my whole system matches. Everyone seems to want black anyway since they are much harder to find at low prices.) Bye-Bye to my Squeezebox/CIAudio combo, which by the way is a remarkable transport and better than some very pricey transports I've had here to try. (Some people think I'm nuts for spending that much solely on a Transporter since I'm not using the DAC in it, but sadly many people fail to realize just how crucial a good transport is to the sound quality of your system.)

Now here are my questions: You know the components on Audio-gd's DIY page? There is a low jitter clock, a digital coax output board, and low noise power supply.... Are these components inside the CD7? If so, I will purchase them and have Kyle @ RAM mod my Transporter with them. That should allow the Transporter to synergize as well with the REF1 as it does with the CD7.

Is this sound logic?

(BTW, my reference system should be complete very soon as I should have a PS Audio Power Plant Premier coming in the next week or two. And I ordered a PA-6 RW/B audio rack last night from StudioTech. They are running killer deals right now on these really nice audio racks. Thanks Haloxt for the inform! If I had ordered a few days ago I would have paid $70 more. http://www.studiotech.com/products/c...a-6/index.html)

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #1,222 of 2,441
Any Audio-gd owners also have a C1 or C10 speaker amplifier? I'm considering trying a C10 and wanted to hear impressions from someone. Please send me a pm if you have an Audio-gd amp. Thanks.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #1,225 of 2,441
Quote:

Mik,
On a scale of 1 to 10, if the Reference One is a 10, where would you place the Azur 840c?

As a CD player, I'd say the 840C is about a 9 or 9.5. When used as a DAC with other sources, the 840C is more like a 6 or 7.

I don't use my 840C as a transport for my Ref1 since my Ref1 is connected only to my 24/192 Musiland Module01 usb to spdif converter (which I like very much as well).

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #1,226 of 2,441
Aug 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,227 of 2,441
Somewhat off topic, but I did a search, and was unable to get my answer...What method of payment have most of you used to purchase your Audio-gd gear...Paypal or Western Union, and if using Paypal are you sending as a "gift" to save the paypal charges?
I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I am a little shy about the gift thing, and I have never used Western Union. Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #1,228 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somewhat off topic, but I did a search, and was unable to get my answer...What method of payment have most of you used to purchase your Audio-gd gear...Paypal or Western Union, and if using Paypal are you sending as a "gift" to save the paypal charges?
I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I am a little shy about the gift thing, and I have never used Western Union. Thanks in advance.

I sent mine as a gift and avoided the Paypal % fees.

icon10.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #1,229 of 2,441
Okay.

To my surprise, the RE1 and Phoenix just arrived at my door about 1 hr ago. I was very surprised and delighted.

The CAST cable was missing (sigh), so using my spare RCA cable, I connected everything. However, I am not hearing ANYTHING.

Here is what I did.

Mac Pro -> Set to output at Digital Line Out.
I used the Optical Cable to RE1. (Using Selector)
Then, RCA cable to Phoenix (Input #2)
Dialed to input #2 in phoenix and increase the volume.

Yet, I am not hearing anything.

is there something I am missing here? or is there something that I can try?

Things that I've already tried.

1. I toggled back and forth with the input selector
2. Tried dialing all different input at Phoenix

Anything else I can try?

p.s.: BTW, what do I do with this Data cable?

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #1,230 of 2,441
Quote:

Anything else I can try?

Well, the first thing I would try is to test the components separately to figure out where the problem lies. Also, what settings is your digital output on the mac set to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back