Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
May 30, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #526 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought there was a post about imbalance sound.

That's still being 'researched'. The suspicion is that it's a kind of buffer overload in the DSP-1 that occurs only if you leave the unit switched on for probably more than a week. Only one user has reported it up till now (Les_Garten). He will probably give you an update on it shortly.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #529 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it gets cured just by turning it off and back on?

You're right. And it could be that that simply resets the buffer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has it got toslink digital input ?

Not as stock, but if your persistent enough Kingwa will include it for you. (He will say it comes at a slight reduction of overall sound quality though.)

May 30, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #530 of 2,441
I'm using a PCLink adaptor from optical to coax for my Ref 1. I've received and replaced the entire digital board in mine (the middle board in the pictures). It made for an interesting few hours on a Sunday (I go about these things very slowly). The 24/96 drop-out is no more.

May 31, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #531 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a PCLink adaptor from optical to coax for my Ref 1. I've received and replaced the entire digital board in mine (the middle board in the pictures). It made for an interesting few hours on a Sunday (I go about these things very slowly). The 24/96 drop-out is no more.

So it's not just the Little Daughtercard with the Cyclone II Chip? You have to pull the entire middle board and replace it? The board that runs fron to back?

May 31, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #532 of 2,441
Quote:

I'm waiting for impressions from Canjam.

Me too but I suspect it'll take a few days before anything concrete is posted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peete,
I am in the middle of burn-in on my new Denon D5000 headphones. I have the HD650's as well. To my ear, the Denon's are soooo nice- Grado detail with more soundstage and the deep bass to boot. If you have not tried these with the Audio-gd setup yet, give them a try. As a reference, I have had K701's, RS-1i, HD650 and D5000.

I'd like to get a pair of D5000's but I'd also like to get a set of HD800's...so right now I'm waiting for the 800's to show up in the retail channels. If the 800's live up to the prototypes auditioned at CES than I may lean towards them. Eventually I'd like to have D5000's though !

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peete, what do you predict at CanJam? I think they might have to put a computer booth right next to the audio-gd area so people can place orders for the ref 1.

I think a lot of people are going to be very pleasantly surprised.....maybe even impressed
smily_headphones1.gif
I dunno for sure haloxt....the average audiophile is a complex and fussy animal.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The entire board ?

No toggles to select I hope.

Peete.

May 31, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #533 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a lot of people are going to be very pleasantly surprised.....maybe even impressed
smily_headphones1.gif
I dunno for sure haloxt....the average audiophile is a complex and fussy animal.
biggrin.gif

Hm, I have my doubts. The Reference One is hardly an "instant-WOW" piece of equipment. Add to that the noisy and busy environment that Canjam must be...
Oh well, I certainly hope plenty of people will get the chance for some focussed listening. It would certainly be valuable to get some feedback from people who have experience with the more esoteric sources.

May 31, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #534 of 2,441
As far as I know, there is only one Audio Gd Ref1 at Canjam. At Canjam, I would say that it's next to impossible to evaluate on a source as the amp that people use is probably gonna be different from what you're using.

May 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #535 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, there is only one Audio Gd Ref1 at Canjam. At Canjam, I would say that it's next to impossible to evaluate on a source as the amp that people use is probably gonna be different from what you're using.

Isn't the REF1 paired w/ the C-2C at Can-Jam? That should be a very robust combo. IMO, both are a great buy...

I was just telling a friend today that my C-2C has some respectable burn-in time on it now(~700 hours). My C-2C is really blooming/shining, the C-2C is a VERY NICE amp...

I should be getting my REF1 some time in June. Kingwa has been waiting on me to send him some CAST connectors. I've done my part, it's all in the hands of the carrier now. I expect Kingwa will receive my shipment early next week...

May 31, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #537 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The entire board ?

No toggles to select I hope.

It was the whole board. For people who can solder, it's not a problem -- unscrewing and re-attaching the v-regs from and to the chassis is the worst part. There are 8 more wires than what's already visible that have to be soldered: 6 wires for the 3 power connections from the tranny, and the LED.

I'm glad though that the issue was caught early, before a lot of people bought them. For you and me, it's not a big fix. For the other couple of owners, if they aren't handy with a soldering iron, it'll be a matter of whether 24/96 is important to them or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the REF1 was paired with a C2C. The rig was John's(jp11801) or so I've been told by Greg(Velogreg) and he had a balanced AD2000 there.

I think at least the best electrostatic rig available would be the minimum to get an idea of what it is capable of.

May 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #538 of 2,441
Quote:

I'm glad though that the issue was caught early, before a lot of people bought them. For you and me, it's not a big fix. For the other couple of owners, if they aren't handy with a soldering iron, it'll be a matter of whether 24/96 is important to them or not.

Is Kingwa sending this out generally now, or were you a test case? I emailed them a few weeks ago and asked about the DSP fix/upgrade, and they said to wait a bit until the plans were finalized. I am pretty good with a soldering iron so it should be no problem, but I don't want to pester Kingwa unnecessarily if they are still determining the best course of action.

May 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #539 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Kingwa sending this out generally now, or were you a test case? I emailed them a few weeks ago and asked about the DSP fix/upgrade, and they said to wait a bit until the plans were finalized. I am pretty good with a soldering iron so it should be no problem, but I don't want to pester Kingwa unnecessarily if they are still determining the best course of action.

I'm not sure. You'd best ask him. He may have more than one solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back