Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
May 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #407 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Les,
Did you notice an improvement with your new CAST cables over what Kingwa provided?
Tim

Heh! Unfortunately I don't have the Phoenix to hook it up to yet!

Would I stake anything on an improvement in SQ, No.

There won't be a way to A/B the connectors because there is Chassis soldering involved.

But on a Continuum of connector quality. I would rate the stock connectors as slightly better than RadioShack but not Neutrik quality and the Lemo connectors as Space Shuttle quality.

If you have the stock ones in your hand, you should understand what I'm referring to here. Perhaps Photos are in Order.

>>
>>
AAA_1706.JPG

>>
>>
AAA_1708.JPG

>>
>>
AAA_1709.JPG

>>
>>
AAA_1710.JPG

>>
>>
AAA_1711.JPG

>>
>>
AAA_1712.JPG

>>
>>

May 12, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #410 of 2,441
Quote:

Thanks Les. That will be a project down the road some. I am getting the FBI-500 soon to connect the Ref-1 to (via CAST-lite).

Ohh Yeah, now I remeber who you are since you mentioned the FBI! I talk to a lot of folks on the phone about this and didn't make the connection at first. Good luck with the FBI, another nice box as well! What SC did you settle on?

May 12, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #412 of 2,441
Quote:

You won't like the answer...but a used Bel Canto USB converter to the DAC. 24/96 via USB (BNC output). It improved the sound of the V-DAC noticeably. Ref-1 coming this week or early next week.

Ohh yeah, I remember earlier in the thread. No problem, glad you're liking it!

May 12, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #413 of 2,441
May 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #414 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks as big as the Compass/C2C. That's going to be a serious piece of kit considering it uses the DSP3. I wonder how much benefit it will have for the Ref 1.

I guess the perfect solution for pc audio
L3000.gif

from what i see kingwa stated that release date is june and it will not be cheap

May 13, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #415 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the perfect solution for pc audio
L3000.gif

from what i see kingwa stated that release date is june and it will not be cheap

Kingwa has finaly decided to adress computer audio issue? Great!
beerchug.gif

What is this DSP3? How will it be implemented in a DAC and which DAC? How will the data be transfered from the computer to the DAC?

May 13, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #416 of 2,441
I originally hooked up the REF1 with BNC. After about 5 or 6 days I noticed a Channel Imbalance. More prominent L Channel. Obviously got worried. Checked Headphones, checked Headamp Channels, Checked IC's. I had it plugged into the Compass so I could use the Super button to compare the "Image" against the Compass DAC. Very prominent shift to the Left.

I turned off the REF1 and went to RCA and turned back on and the Image shift was gone. Let it run a few days like that, and switched back to the BNC and the Image was centered and correct. So I kinda blew it off to things "settling" in.

Today, same thing. Image shifted to the Left. I aslo noticed Generally distorted sounds, especially noticeable in voice, but also on Bass instruments sounded pretty bad. This time I played things differently. I just shut the unit off for a minute without switching the BNC jack, and the problem went away with a "REBOOT".

Is that DSP chip runnin' Windows?

I have only One Input and one Output. BNC IN and RCA OUT.

Please watch for this and we'll see if anyone else notices this. I think it has to be running for a week or more for me to see it. There was a simliar issue that was attributed to having more than one output hooked up. This may be a similar if not the same issue.

May 13, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #417 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This time I played things differently. I just shut the unit off for a minute without switching the BNC jack, and the problem went away with a "REBOOT".

Is that DSP chip runnin' Windows?

LOL! I sure hope not!
o2smile.gif

May 13, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #418 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please watch for this and we'll see if anyone else notices this. I think it has to be running for a week or more for me to see it. There was a simliar issue that was attributed to having more than one output hooked up. This may be a similar if not the same issue.

If you haven't already, I would send Kingwa an e-mail. It might be something he can address as part of the DSP-1 upgrade he is working on (or it may have already been fixed).

May 13, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #419 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't already, I would send Kingwa an e-mail. It might be something he can address as part of the DSP-1 upgrade he is working on (or it may have already been fixed).

That's a great point. Thanx, will do.

May 13, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #420 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa has finaly decided to adress computer audio issue? Great!
beerchug.gif

Actually, he says on his forum that he's been working on it for nearly two years. As usual Kingwa is way ahead of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back