Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
May 2, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #361 of 2,441
Right now, I'm in a quandary-like situation. My CD player is awesome, but I have spent quite a bit of time and money getting it there. Still...many mechanical parts, only so long you can expect that to live and when it does...do I go for another optical disc reader or do I just rip my collection to a server and all EVERYONE in my family to enjoy music anywhere in the house + allowing me to take my entire collection to work (all-be-it in a freakin' silo array). The answer is simple: the future is streamed/digital media, NOT optical discs.

I didn't get into SACD (though my PS3 does it). Why? I couldn't rip my own music to back up. Vinyl is an automatic high res option but a total PITA, leaving high res downloads as the future for plenty of albums. HDTracks is a marvel of a site and I see it being the future. I adore having an automatic hard copy via the CD/LP/SACD/HDCD but honestly...I know in my heart that Vinyl and downloaded files is the future. Hence me wanting to get in on the high quality DAC early. I doubt many will need more than 24/192 for quite some time and therefore something like the Ref 1 has the capacity to be a really valuable add-on component in my system. My computer serves up sick amounts of high quality music and I get to listen via my headphone system of choice. As it goes now? I listen through some really really REALLY bad powered PC Toshiba speakers.

May 2, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #362 of 2,441
Here's what I just received from Kingwa,

Dear Les,
My tester can't conver to 24/88, only can output 44/48/96/192, so can't test 24/88.
Later I will offer the free upgrade for RE1, We will ship the new board to customers.
Kingwa

So a Board install is in our Future.

May 2, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #363 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Later I will offer the free upgrade for RE1, We will ship the new board to customers..

Kingwa is just awesome.
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #364 of 2,441
Free upgrade. Honestly Audio-gd are freakin' legend. What customer service! Future proofed hardware right there. WELL worth the investment.

May 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #365 of 2,441
I've read all of the postings but perhaps too quickly. The Ref 1 appears to be a great dac and a great bang-for-the-buck but has anyone compared the Ref 1 to other dacs, preferably more expensive ones?
Thanks

May 2, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #366 of 2,441
I wonder WTH is going on with my setup.....obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Does anyone have a link to a decent 24/96 test file I can use outside the ripped files I have...a head scratcher to say the least...

Peete.

EDIT: Something is buggered with my driver install for the prelude so I'm going to purge the installation and do it over again...maybe that will solve the quirk. When I try to disable bit matching and then upsample it won't do it....just goes back to bit perfect even though the control panel says it disabled....maybe this is the issue...maybe not...I doubt it's the RE1 which is the good news....

EDIT 2 : I'm DL the HDTracks sampler pack so no need for link to hi rez files.

EDIT 3: Still no joy with 24/96 .....next up is different COAX cables. highest sample rate I can get a lock on is 48khz at 24 bit so I have no idea what is causing the issue. I reinstalled the Prelude drivers, made no difference. Bit perfect disabled. No change. Could be my DSP1 is need of a micro code update or the COAX cable I'm using is no good for the RE1 past 24/48 but that is unlikely. I want to stress this problem is with my unit only.

May 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #368 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Greg,

You know I was looking at the latest CDPro2 assembly just a few days ago and wondering if that might be a direct drop in replacement for the CDM12 Pro assembly I have now ? The unit I have is based upon the HIFIDIY.net CDM12 Pro kit but with a few upgrades specified by Pac Valve & Electric.

Where is the best place to buy a CDPro2 assembly Greg ? I have this link but I'm unsure if they sell direct to end users or there is a better place to get them from...DAISy : CD, DVD, SACD applications using Philips technology

If it is a direct drop in I'll do the swap. The clock I have the with CDM12 Pro now is a 1PPM version...the stock unit is 3PPM so I don't need to upgrade that part. I do need to upgrade the power supplies and the digital outputs...I have Kingwas CD/DVD COAX/BNC mod board and his PSU module...the original plan was to install this into the CDM12 pro but the room needed is not available in that half size chassis. I may be able to work something out but it will be a very tight squeeze, of not impossible.

Anyway this conversation is sort of OT. Sorry folks ...
redface.gif

Peete.

Hi Peete

yes it 's right link and direct place to buy.I got mine from daisy as well a few years ago.Now thinking about latest LS which you can get at once as a current.They are completely compatible mechanically and electrically ,so no rumor ,just simple replacement.One of my friends changed to LF (in ML31)and it was really step up I must say .So go on.I know you DIY drive ,had it at home a few months as well ,but I did not modify it ,just had a fun.
It is nice tiny drive anyway.

I think you can take ps away to another box to find some space in the main chassis ,it should also help with a bit of noise removing main trafo outside.

cheero
greg

May 2, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #369 of 2,441
[I get through with ripping the current stack of CD's on my desk to the HDD library...man this is a time consuming bore
frown.gif

Peete.[/QUOTE]

so I do boring ,boring and once again boring :frowning2:
but must be done
period
greg

May 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #370 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too. Many top reviewers (okay, a couple I read) can't tell much difference with good computer setups vs. CD transports but we'll have to see. Putting CD's into a tray all day it not going to happen for me.

well Tim

remember that they work for the money
and this is huge business they are involved .
Once again ,trust your ears ,it's a best you can do :wink:

I hear a difference and it's not SMALL !

GREG

May 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #371 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, I'm in a quandary-like situation. My CD player is awesome, but I have spent quite a bit of time and money getting it there. Still...many mechanical parts, only so long you can expect that to live and when it does...do I go for another optical disc reader or do I just rip my collection to a server and all EVERYONE in my family to enjoy music anywhere in the house + allowing me to take my entire collection to work (all-be-it in a freakin' silo array). The answer is simple: the future is streamed/digital media, NOT optical discs.

I didn't get into SACD (though my PS3 does it). Why? I couldn't rip my own music to back up. Vinyl is an automatic high res option but a total PITA, leaving high res downloads as the future for plenty of albums. HDTracks is a marvel of a site and I see it being the future. I adore having an automatic hard copy via the CD/LP/SACD/HDCD but honestly...I know in my heart that Vinyl and downloaded files is the future. Hence me wanting to get in on the high quality DAC early. I doubt many will need more than 24/192 for quite some time and therefore something like the Ref 1 has the capacity to be a really valuable add-on component in my system. My computer serves up sick amounts of high quality music and I get to listen via my headphone system of choice. As it goes now? I listen through some really really REALLY bad powered PC Toshiba speakers.

You right mate in the 1st part ,thats the future
but now ,we still need good transport
nothing bad with it I like swap cds , I gonna miss it in the future :)

Vinyl ,however ,is another story
it's about slowing down and finding time for pleasure
it's not quick sex and final pleasure at once

it's about the game ,mate
you must be prepared like with a good women
other way she will find another man :)

there are some things in the life when time is must
and there is no rush ,taste the life :)

and this is really good
more you know about
more you will understand
and a final PLEASURE then
will be sth REAL

greg

May 2, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #372 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Kingwa told me that he was waiting on shipping my unit out because of the new DSP upgrade. That should be finished now or nearly so, as he mentioned shipping out the Ref 1 sometime in the next week or so....

Do you know what improvements the DSP upgrade will provide? I ordered a REF 1 this week, I need to confirm that my unit will have the DSP upgrade. I'm not sure what Kingwa's timeframe is for resolving the recently reported 24/88 issue by Les. It would be nice to have that upgrade included as well...

May 3, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #373 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know what improvements the DSP upgrade will provide? I ordered a REF 1 this week, I need to confirm that my unit will have the DSP upgrade. I'm not sure what Kingwa's timeframe is for resolving the recently reported 24/88 issue by Les. It would be nice to have that upgrade included as well...

The best thing to do is email them and ask. But as far as I understand, they build units from scratch, not pull them off a rack, so any DSP-based DACs they send out now will be upgraded. I'd take a guess there'll be a bit of a delay, because he will have to test the fix first to make sure it works properly.

May 4, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #374 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best thing to do is email them and ask...

Yeah, I went ahead and emailed them last night. Since I just placed my REF 1 order, I requested that I would like to have all upgrades(DSP, new board for 24/88) performed by A-GD. They told me it would be ready to ship next month. IMO, that's impressive turnaround for implementing a new board and all. I'm looking forward to getting this gear. I want to pair it with the Phoenix...

May 4, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #375 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...)

Les, did you get my email (about soundcard)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back