Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Oct 9, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #2,311 of 2,441

Quote:
Dukja, if your got your DSP-1 this February, it has to be V3. V4 was released mid June, V5 came end of September.

wink.gif

I just ordered the DSP upgrade on 9/26, and they are sending me version 4.0.  What's the deal?

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #2,312 of 2,441

Quote:
I just ordered the DSP upgrade on 9/26, and they are sending me version 4.0.  What's the deal?

You should probably send it back and get v5.  If they knew v5 was going to be out in a few days I'm surprised they didn't tell you.  The first I heard about v5 was on here by FauDrei.  I just ordered mine and they are sending it out to me.

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #2,314 of 2,441
I thought the Ref 7S WAS essentially a Ref 1 in a new case with the R-Core transformers etc.  

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #2,318 of 2,441
I asked Kingwa about that. He replied that as a businessman, since he loses money now with developing the DSP any further, he feels he should stop with V5. But as an audiophile, he always wants better sound even if he no longer sells DSP1 based DAC´s so he cannot promise V5 will be the last version.

So in a nutshell: maybe, maybe not
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #2,319 of 2,441

Quote:
I asked Kingwa about that. He replied that as a businessman, since he loses money now with developing the DSP any further, he feels he should stop with V5. But as an audiophile, he always wants better sound even if he no longer sells DSP1 based DAC´s so he cannot promise V5 will be the last version.

So in a nutshell: maybe, maybe not
smily_headphones1.gif

HA,  decisions are never easy.   But I think I am going to go for the V5 upgrade in fear that he may quit making the modules all together.

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #2,320 of 2,441

Quote:

Regal, would there be any benefit in swapping A-GD rectifier diodes with HEXFREDS? I think KingWa already uses some kind of MUR460 ultrafast diodes bypassed with films and I have no experience with "ultrafast slow recovery" HEXFREDS.

Maybe but I doubt it worth the effort with all the filtering caps I suspect little rectifier noise is left.   Wish mine would hurry up and get here I'm sure I'll found something worth modding on it to share.

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #2,321 of 2,441
While I was checking out the Luxman SQ-N100 in Best Electric, I saw they had a couple of Van Den Hul digital cables going for cheap.  One of them was the triaxial 75 Ohm Professional.  As I'd picked up some Oyaide BNC plugs that really need some fat wire, I took a chance that I could re-terminate the cable with them.  I was more right than I expected!  Van Den Hul plugs use a crimping collet for the signal return and shield. The centre wire is soldered, while the return is bent back over the outer cover and the collet crimped on.  The Oyaide plug was the same, but the collet through to the centre pin is one piece.  Thankfully the fit was exactly the same, with only the outer wires being a bit too long.  Here's the result anyway.  You can just see behind the right plug a mark where the collet in the VDH plug was crimping.

The outer shield is connected only at one end.  I'm now happy to have a good, solid and proper 75 Ohm BNC cable between the Ref 3 and 1.  When I have time, I might switch between it and the regular Belden cable to see if there is any difference that I can detect.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #2,322 of 2,441
Some people might wonder why audio-gd keeps updating the software, I don't think it is because prior versions are "flawed" perse, but some people believe that different software sound different, and try to aim for more efficient or precise software. Cics cplay is a good case in point when you look at all the updates it has had. I will think about it a little more but I think I will go for the V5.

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #2,323 of 2,441
The oversampling filter (in this case the DSP-1) has a pretty big influence on the sound in my experience.  There has been a lot of development in oversampling algorithms lately with the advent of FPGA based processors and their flexible programming. Berkley Audio with its old PMD100 engineers recently programmed what many consider the best oversampling algorith in thier expensive Alpha on an AD Sharc DSP.  With Kingwas DSP-1 he keeps perfect phase . The draw back with some perrfect phase OS filters is pre-ringing,  which some think is bad because no music should have any information before the main amplitude (its considered an unnatural phenomenon ).  Some are advocating apodising oversampling algorithms which can eliminate pre-ring and maintain perfect phase.  Either way its easy to see that this is a quickly evolving feild as of late (and another reason I prefer the PCM1704 to the Sabre which is stuck with a old OS algorithm.)   I am sure AudioGD is just making sure to encorporate the latest methods and striving for perfection in his algorithms.  I just wish I  could win the lottery to buy him an HDCD license from M$ so he could add HDCD decoding to the DSP-1
beyersmile.png

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #2,324 of 2,441
Hi Regal, you are a wealth of information. Do you come across 64bit dsp ?

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #2,325 of 2,441

Quote:
Hi Regal, you are a wealth of information. Do you come across 64bit dsp ?

I have no experience programming [size=11pt]Verilog or VHDL,  my engineering education was 20 years ago so I'm no help on this one.  I remember conversing with folks who had great ideas for oversampling algorithms 5 years ago or so before these programable chips came into existence,  this is a field that I think there will be major advancements but only for those chips that allow an external OS filter.  It would be awesome if an opensource project got rolling to program the AD blackfin or Sharc,  one of the few remaining bright spots in digital audio.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back