Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Jun 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #2,206 of 2,441

I know this is proper to use an impedance meter,  but usually the termination is a 75 ohm resistor,  for that a DMM is suitable since with a resistor ACimpedance approximates DC resistance.   I will open her up and trace the circuit to see what is going on.

Quote:
How are you measuring it?  With a multimeter or an ohm meter?  You need an ohm meter or an impedance meter to determine the characteristic impedance.  These aren't cheap though.

Edit:  Or you could use a Time Domain Reflectometer

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #2,208 of 2,441

Quote:
Hi peete,

what u have in mind that Ref 1 cant give u.

That's a good question. Nothing really, the RE1 lacks for nothing but I hope to gain some improvement across the board CC. We'll have to wait and see if that comes to pass.

Peete.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #2,209 of 2,441

Quote:
That's a good question. Nothing really, the RE1 lacks for nothing but I hope to gain some improvement across the board CC. We'll have to wait and see if that comes to pass.

Peete.

Keep us posted Peete. I'd like to know the final result of all this modding. The RE1 has a very neutral sound signature and I wonder if you can improve the SQ without coloring the sound.
Are you still thinking of using some LiFePo4 batteres to power the DSP1?

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #2,210 of 2,441
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has changed the DIP switch on the Ref1. what is your experience changing the dip position.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #2,212 of 2,441
Latest Max Mod pics..

R channel pcb 

2/3's done...........I hope to complete the L Channel PCB Friday afternoon and test the DAC shortly thereafter (once I've triple checked everything before first power up).

This mod is taking some considerable time to complete. I figure I've spent at least 3 solid days getting to this point with at least another 6-8 hours to go before listening tests can begin.

I'll update the post Friday evening/night. Time to get some sleep (wow 4 AM).

UPDATE :

Completed the job (2:20 AM). Took me roughly 8 hours and 20 minutes to finish the last 1/3. I haven't tested it yet but I will do so shortly after I get through with triple checking the work.

Here are a couple of pics to ogle
bigsmile_face.gif

L Channel completed, wiring between digital board and the 2 channels installed (dividers removed). I decided to use Mundorf silver/gold for those connections since I had some left over from the Phoenix Mod. Might as well keep the wiring the same throughout the unit.

Another angle of the above

Finished job with dividers installed.

Wish me luck with the initial test, hopefully it'll spring back to life without any problems. I took my time doing this mod very carefully so there should be no issues (fingers and toes crossed
tongue_smile.gif
).

I'll update the post after the power up test.

UPDATE 2 :

L Channel is not working for the time being. Time to put on the trouble shooting hat.

UPDATE 3:

Both channels work fine from the XLR and RCA outputs so I'm redoing the ACSS output wiring from the pcb to the jack. The custom ACSS cable checks out. It's an odd fault since the continuity tests last night showed the wiring was fine (from the top side through holes). It could be a poor solder joint not making proper contact with the bottom trace. I did find the GND lead was really short, the stripped lead was less than 1/16 in long and the + (pin 2) lead solder joint may have been a cold one. We'll soon see if that is the case. I hope it is since I'm out of ideas after this.There really is nothing else to check that hasn't been looked at over and over ( with all of the work elsewhere). I would imagine if there was a problem elsewhere the L/R XLR/RCA outs would not work.

Update 3.5976B :

I think I've found the problem. Pin 3 (ACSS) connection is bad at the jack pin (and the pcb as it turns out). Weird that it passed the initial continuity test but I figure it must have been moved around too many times since then. In order for one of the stand off bolts to be tightened you have to get a screwdriver right in between the wiring and that rearrangement must have been enough to break the solid core connection (due to metal fatigue). It's a problem you have to look out for when using small gauge solid core wiring. A good object lesson in paying attention to detail (and to test the wiring after the unit is reassembled). I must have forgotten to do that last evening....I was pretty tired at that point after going at it for 8+ hours. Well now to make all the connections again and test her out..........(fingers crossed).
tongue_smile.gif

Yep that was it. She now works as it supposed to. Lesson learned here is simply this.......take the wiring to the jacks off if you plan to pull the boards. Much easier to at the end of the job rather than taking a small shortcut. Anyway...I'll post some very preliminary observations is a few hours time. My guess at this point is the DAC needs a full cycle of burn in before I'll know if this has been worth the effort or not. Total time for this mod is rather substantial, roughly a solid 4.5 days (8 hr days). Definitely the most involved (in terms of parts count) that I've yet tackled. Glad it works at this point, cheers to all for the support and encouragement. 
beerchug.gif
Time to enjoy the effort (my favorite part)
bigsmile_face.gif

Peete.

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #2,213 of 2,441
Hi Peete,

I may have missed your review about the Illiminati but is that short coaxial cable cable giving you some improvement in sound?

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #2,214 of 2,441
Hello,
This is my first post.
Just to encourage Pricklely Peete in his modding because I have done the same.
I can't give impressions at this moment because I have a problem on the right channel.
Just two pics to ilustrate my words.
The new connectors are for the fun, not for a big improvement.

Djilbe

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #2,215 of 2,441

corrected your link
Quote:
Hello,
This is my first post.
Just to encourage Pricklely Peete in his modding because I have done the same.
I can't give impressions at this moment because I have a problem on the right channel.
Just two pics to ilustrate my words.
The new connectors are for the fun, not for a big improvement.

Djilbe

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #2,217 of 2,441

Quote:
Hi Peete,

I may have missed your review about the Illiminati but is that short coaxial cable cable giving you some improvement in sound?

Hard to say for sure CC. It's been quite a while since I swapped out the stock wiring for the COAX. That being said I feel comfortable classifying the changes or difference as a slight improvement ( IMO ).

Peete.

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #2,218 of 2,441

Quote:
Thanks for the pics.
I will try to do it better the next time.

Djilbe

Interesting mod, could you elaborate on what you did (and the parts used) please. I hope you get your R channel problem sorted ASAP. I know it sucks not having the DAC in the signal chain. I've not listened to my ref rig since I pulled the RE1 ( for the MAX mod) last week. I'm itching to get it back into the system.

Peete.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #2,219 of 2,441
Hey Peete!
Are you still thinking of doing a battery mod for the DSP1?

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #2,220 of 2,441

Quote:
Hey Peete!
Are you still thinking of doing a battery mod for the DSP1?

Maybe, but right now I just want to get the L channel ACSS output functioning as it should.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back