Audio-gd R2R 11
Feb 26, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #137 of 776
Sounds so much like me few years ago :) ,learned pretty quick that there are only handful of so called "3D flavored " Dac/Amp combo's ,I doubt you find what you looking for from SS/natural sounding DAC/amp like R2R 11 (Natural/semi-flat sounding) mater of a fact is I had better results with my tube amps like Crack /Telefunken then any natural DAC ,casual gamer myself I was going to choose between music and gaming -end up getting NuForce Icon/KingRex combo and would highly recommend trying one ,had that plugged via Optical (crash-less since no driver need it without sacrificing sound quality ) for the past 4~6 years np
It was my early impressions, now the R2R-11 (with Eitr) already surpassed the Mojo as a DAC and as a DAC/amp combo both on music listening and gaming.

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #138 of 776
A 5 months owner of a ADG r2r 11 over here. One of my best purchases in this hobby. A noticiable upgrade over my previous DAC (an SMSL M8, good for his price but inferior)

My r2r 11 works great vía usb with a Jitteburg and an Audioquest Forest cable. I'm intrigued with the Eitr but for now I'm satisfied with my chain.

Also I use the r2r 11 in my speaker setup and works great

I've opened a thread searching for new headphones to use with my r2r 11 https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-open-over-ear-headphones-under-usd-300-for-rock-metal.873283/ in case of someone is able to help me with that. For now I've only used it with Grado sr80e plus an impedance adapter and works great but I want to try something else, something more suitable with his output power.

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #139 of 776
I'm about to join the party as I have a used r2r 11 on the way from a fellow head-fier.

I primarily listen to my turntable through a 2 channel system but have wanted to upgrade my digital setup. My analog setup is very nice but I have been using a an older modi for quite some time and although it's fine, I've been very interested in trying out a r2r type dac. I will post my impressions after a get it.

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #142 of 776
I do, Master-7. I found that the tonality of the r2r11 is better than the Master-7 when I hooked it to the Master-8. Though it falla short on soundstage and detail by a lot.
Glad somebody can do the comparison. :) Do you think if you compared the Master 7 to a higher end R2R dac from AGD that it would retain the tonality and improve in soundstage and details over R2R 11?

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #143 of 776
I wouldn't know for sure, they use different DAC modules, r2r DA8 for r2r11 and DA7 for r2r 7 (audio-gd likes putting 7 to top end modules), I suppose it would be much better though. The amp on the r2r11 is not neutral though, it's warm with strong bass, it would be nice if someone else could give his/her input about this.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #144 of 776
I was recently asked about how I feel the R2R11 performs with colored headphones (I was specifically asked about the Sony MA900, but I also tested it with other headphones such as the CB-1 which has thunderous bass). I'll paste my response bellow:
I really liked the MA900 with it. I liked the R2R11 with all the headphones I've tested so far. It's very close to neutral sounding with ever so slightly taking the edge off in the upper mids - lower treble region (which modern DACs can emphasize). Other than that, it lets each headphone present itself truthfully, much more so than the Mojo for example which added a pleasing coloration that however didn't work with darker or bassy headphones very well (I didn't like my CB1 with it as it was too bassy and it also smoothed over the already smoothed treble of the MA900).
The one advantage the Mojo had was bass (emphasized to a certain degree) while the R2R11 keeps bass very tight and articulate. This comes down to preference of course, And I wouldn't say the R2R11 is lacking in any way there (especially again compared to some of the modern DACs).
I love the R2R11 even as a pre-amplifier for my powered monitors. The sound is very nice that way too,
People who like a somewhat treble hyped hi-fi sound probably wouldn't like the sound of the R2R designs and I am only a measly aspiring composer, by no means a final authority :), but I consider the R2R11's overall sound more reference, useful and life-like than that of many modern offerings.
I love the way it subtly enhances the soundstage width (this I consider somewhat of an Audio-gd's trademark), its effortless sound, and how well balanced and linear it is.
It might seem like I am a bit biased, and perhaps I am too, but I am mainly just very impressed. I was buying the unit blind-folded without trying, and with a mixed previous Audio-gd experience, but I firmly believe now that this unit is the best all-in-one value currently out there unless you're looking to spend a lot more money. I certainly don't feel the need to :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #145 of 776
[QUOTE="conquerator2, post: 14074332, member: 336900" I liked the R2R11 with all the headphones I've tested so far.[/QUOTE]
Have you tested the R2R 11 with Hifiman 400i? I'm interested in pairing my R2R 11 with that HFM but so far I have not be able to listen that pair I've got some good reference for that possibly couple in another thread. I also have read good things about R2R11 + HFM 560 but i don't know if i can use these comments as possitive reference for my purpose.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #146 of 776
I use mine with the 4XX right now (in-between the 400S and 400i) and it sounds very good. I imagine the R2R11 will pair very well with all the HFM which have an upper midrange emphasis that the R2R will smooth out slightly.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #147 of 776
Anyone have experience with the R2R-11 and the DAC-19 10th Anniv? I currently have the DAC-19 but am curious about the R2R-11.

I owned both. The DAC-19 was OK but didn't impressed me so much after weeks of use. I finally sold it two years ago. The new R2R line has a completely different architecture, based on proprietary R2R modules (DA-8 in this case). I would say, by memory, that the R2R-11 is maybe a bit less detailed and neutral but sound more analog with more texture with tube-like mids (a very unusual sound signature at this price). I have at home the bigger brother R2R-2 at the moment, and it is a step above both in terms of SQ.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #148 of 776
I try to use r2r 11 as a dac for my stax system connected to my PC, very good sounding but somehow bright overall, I think I am getting so much jitters when using this unit as standalone DAC. Not recommended with stax amp/L700 combo. Also using this unit variable (preamp) perform much worst (very narrow sound stage and congested image) than when using fixed line out. The amp section produce very good results with my headphones otherwise....Just be-careful when using it as stand alone DAC! (edit: issue fixed with eitr)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #149 of 776
I think you should add to the above how your PC is set up in this particular context. In my experience there are a number of things on the PC side that can influence sound quality. Just saying PC+R2R11 is (too) bright with STAX becomes an incomplete statement wtih little real value.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #150 of 776
I'd caution that there must be something wrong with your setup. The R2R11 is anything but bright, and I did not perceive any substantial difference between it operating as DAC, amplifier, preamplifier or a combination of the above.
I'd assume it should pair very well with something like the L700 and would probably try to determine what else could be to blame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back