Audio-gd R2R 11
Mar 7, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #151 of 776
Ok, so I received my R2R11 yesterday and quite frankly am pretty blown away. I did not expect this thing to sound this good. I generally listen to about 90% vinyl so I really prefer an analog presentation. I was initially interested in this dac because I read that r2r dac's have an "analog" like quality. I have never dabbled in super high end dac's but I did have a wyred4sound dac-1 some years back and was never that impressed with it. I'm starting to think that I don't like sabre dac's with oversampling. Anyways, back to the R2R11, the sound is just so non-fatiguing and mates really well with Decware Torii. The combination with tubes is just wonderful.

I'm currently running it through a squeezelite clone through usb but have a Allo digione on the way. I was expecting to be somewhat let down by the usb implementation based on some comments I read but I have zero complaints. I'm super excited to see if I can get even better performance with spdif through the digione.

If you are a vinyl lover at heart and on a budget than this just may be the dac for you.

Final thoughts, I find the headamp section to be somewhat lacking. I actually prefer to run the dac to my Schiit Magni 3. This may be down the headphones (AKG K550) though.

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #152 of 776
Received my R2R 11 few days ago and I'm delighted :) ,unit is hooked up via USB HUB instead of SPDIF converter (someone from Schiit joked that Eitr was the most expensive USB HUB on the market ..haha),Foobar2000 output- DS: Amanero USB driver/the only driver installed for R2R 11 and PCM for DSD64 files( ASIO or WASAPI will have the "poping" and DS the list amount ) planar's had to go first since I new they will do well with this DAC so HE-400 got the green light and this combo runs like a pack of Kenyans on crack ,I'm loving it !
Tested other cans like like HD650 and DT 880 Pro but HE-400 is clear winner for now ,found R2R 11 to be articulate and detailed ,NOS flavor is definitely there ..this is all based on 3~4 days of burn time ...oh my !

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #153 of 776
I'd caution that there must be something wrong with your setup. The R2R11 is anything but bright, and I did not perceive any substantial difference between it operating as DAC, amplifier, preamplifier or a combination of the above.
I'd assume it should pair very well with something like the L700 and would probably try to determine what else could be to blame.
I still think the dac output is brighter ... I have 200$ cheaper sabre Dac (es9018k2m) they have smoother sound top but less bass. Do R2R dac need burn in for longer time? maybe ... (edit: issue fixed with eitr)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #155 of 776
I still think the dac output is brighter ... I have 200$ cheaper sabre Dac (es9018k2m) they have smoother sound top but less bass. Do R2R dac need burn in for longer time? maybe ...
Most likely. The rca out and headphone outs are driven by the same circuit. Only the gain changes. So in the end, they should sound exactly the same or very close.

Mar 12, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #156 of 776
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #157 of 776
Final thoughts, I find the headamp section to be somewhat lacking. I actually prefer to run the dac to my Schiit Magni 3. This may be down the headphones (AKG K550) though.

The Magni 3 is actually more powerful that the amp section of the R2R-11

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW RMS per channel

VS.

300mW/300 ohm for R2R-11

I still prefer the overall sound of the R2R-11 driving my ATH AD2000s vs anything Schiit Ive tried.For every other more demanding HP I run out into a vintage receiver or OTL tube amp.

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #158 of 776
The Magni 3 is actually more powerful that the amp section of the R2R-11

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW RMS per channel

VS.

300mW/300 ohm for R2R-11

I still prefer the overall sound of the R2R-11 driving my ATH AD2000s vs anything Schiit Ive tried.For every other more demanding HP I run out into a vintage receiver or OTL tube amp.

I've been listening to the headphone out of the R2R 11 a lot more in the past week and I think my opinion on it it starting to change. I attribute this primarily to the unit warming up. The sound is noticeably better after it has been on for some time. I cannot quite say how long but I would say at least an hour or two and it starts to sound better.

The DAC itself is really quite tremendous for the money. I'm liking this more and more and find myself wanting to get to my listening room to listen to more. This piece has me very interested in what is possible for truly high end R2R dacs. I'm satisfied for now and probably will keep this unit for a long time but if a couple of grand ever fell into my lap I would definitely consider a the higher tier models or something like the holo springs.

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #159 of 776
I've been listening to the headphone out of the R2R 11 a lot more in the past week and I think my opinion on it it starting to change. I attribute this primarily to the unit warming up. The sound is noticeably better after it has been on for some time. I cannot quite say how long but I would say at least an hour or two and it starts to sound better.

The DAC itself is really quite tremendous for the money. I'm liking this more and more and find myself wanting to get to my listening room to listen to more. This piece has me very interested in what is possible for truly high end R2R dacs. I'm satisfied for now and probably will keep this unit for a long time but if a couple of grand ever fell into my lap I would definitely consider a the higher tier models or something like the holo springs.

It def sounds better after its been on for awhile.

I had a $1200.00 amp/DAC combo in my home for a week for a review and felt that the R2R-11 bested it on most fronts,except for bass and the way it sounded thru speakers.The fact that it was even close,let alone beats a product that is 3Xs the price is testimony to the bang-for-the-buck value of the R2R-11

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #160 of 776

Audio-gd stuff tends to need quite a bit of burn-in to sound their best. I would say 50-100 hours should do it. And once they do they really sing.

Bob, a little OT here but I'm curious about your analog preference after spending a few days with an R2R DAC - are you a full digital convert now? Will your lps go into storage? Or would it still take a better DAC to have you switch over to the dark side completely?

I've been 100% digital throughout my audiophile journey proper but have always had the urge to prove/disprove the theory that analog sound is better than digital - in the comfort and familiarity of my own gear, setup and music. So I'm headed in the other direction and will be getting a Rega Planar 1 and Schiit Mani in the mail soon. I love my DAC-19 so much that I haven't felt compelled to dip my toes with the new R2R models - yet.

In any case, I've always felt that well implemented R2R DACs sound as organic as analog with the added benefit of having tonnes more clarity and resolution at the same price levels. I know that exceptional resolution and clarity is definitely achievable with well mastered vinyl spinning on good TTs but I believe it takes a lot more money than, say, the $350 + shipping that it costs for an R2R 11. I've even heard a few TOTL TT systems here and there (VPI, Techdas, etc) that still didn't quite do it for me, though it has to be said that I didn't care for the speakers or headphones that they were being played through and probably the source material too.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #161 of 776
Audio-gd stuff tends to need quite a bit of burn-in to sound their best. I would say 50-100 hours should do it. And once they do they really sing.

Bob, a little OT here but I'm curious about your analog preference after spending a few days with an R2R DAC - are you a full digital convert now? Will your lps go into storage? Or would it still take a better DAC to have you switch over to the dark side completely?

I've been 100% digital throughout my audiophile journey proper but have always had the urge to prove/disprove the theory that analog sound is better than digital - in the comfort and familiarity of my own gear, setup and music. So I'm headed in the other direction and will be getting a Rega Planar 1 and Schiit Mani in the mail soon. I love my DAC-19 so much that I haven't felt compelled to dip my toes with the new R2R models - yet.

In any case, I've always felt that well implemented R2R DACs sound as organic as analog with the added benefit of having tonnes more clarity and resolution at the same price levels. I know that exceptional resolution and clarity is definitely achievable with well mastered vinyl spinning on good TTs but I believe it takes a lot more money than, say, the $350 + shipping that it costs for an R2R 11. I've even heard a few TOTL TT systems here and there (VPI, Techdas, etc) that still didn't quite do it for me, though it has to be said that I didn't care for the speakers or headphones that they were being played through and probably the source material too.

I'm definitely not getting rid of my analog setup. I still absolutely love spinning records. I also love buying them! I have significantly more money tied up in my analog rig (VPI Classic, AT33sa cart, Herron Audio VTPH-2 phone preamp) plus I now have over 700 records.

However, the R2R11 is allowing me to find more joy in my digital setup. I have a quite large library of digital files which are now seeing more playtime at home. I have the ability to listen to my collection at work through madsonic, as I have a 24/7 music server at home that I can access from anywhere, but over the past 4 years or so I hardly ever listened to digital at home. That is starting to change and its nice to not have such a dramatic loss in quality from my analog rig to my digital rig. To be able to say that with a $350+ dac is simply amazing when you consider the fact that my analog setup MSRP's for around $7500.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #162 of 776
I'm definitely not getting rid of my analog setup. I still absolutely love spinning records. I also love buying them! I have significantly more money tied up in my analog rig (VPI Classic, AT33sa cart, Herron Audio VTPH-2 phone preamp) plus I now have over 700 records.

Yep, that definitely looks like you're well into it, past the point of no return. :beers:

However, the R2R11 is allowing me to find more joy in my digital setup. I have a quite large library of digital files which are now seeing more playtime at home. I have the ability to listen to my collection at work through madsonic, as I have a 24/7 music server at home that I can access from anywhere, but over the past 4 years or so I hardly ever listened to digital at home. That is starting to change and its nice to not have such a dramatic loss in quality from my analog rig to my digital rig. To be able to say that with a $350+ dac is simply amazing when you consider the fact that my analog setup MSRP's for around $7500.

That's exactly what I mean! And am afraid of. Analog is this whole other universe/rabbit hole to tumble into and I can easily see myself getting hopelessly tangled up in it.

In any case, it just goes to show how much inherent value there is to Audio-gd gear. They don't get as much exposure as Cayin, Auralic and the other big Chinese hifi brands but I'm a big fan. Kingwa is as talented a designer as any other renowned designer out there. It's a shame that they don't have the marketing and aesthetics spot on but I'd gladly keep that status quo as long as SQ and value remain the primary focus.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #163 of 776
I also like the sound of my R2R-11 better than my Mojo. i sold my mojo on ebay yesterday. mojo on higher volumes on my power hungry cans would get bright and shouty, R2R 11 drives everything i own perfectly. i dont have any portable use. i only used both units in my desktop system for both headphones and speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back