Best open over ear Headphones under USD$300 for rock/metal
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

eLnacho

New Head-Fier
Hello

I'm looking for alternatives of open Over ear Headphones under USD$300 for rock/metal. It can be new or used.

My main source is an Audio GD r2r 11. I also have a Little Dot MK II with several 6j1 tubes alternatives to add more power or some colour in the case that is needed.

In terms of sound I want something less bright than my Grado Sr80e but nothing too dark. I would like something neutral or slightly bright with diferent sound signature to my Grado, i'm looking for something that would complement them. Nothing V-Shaped, I don't want recessed mids

In preference something over 150 ohms of impedance so I'll be able to used it directly with my AGD without an impedance adapter.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me with some suggestions.

Have a nice day.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 26
Feb 27, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 26
If you can track one down I would try to find an original ATH AD2000(non-X-version)It matches with the R2R-11 very well.Its quite fast,detailed with very good slam and nice forward mids.

Thanks for that idea. I didn't knew those headphones so I don't had it between my alternatives. I'll start reading some reviews about them. I hope that I would be able to listen them in some local hifi retailer.

You can sometimes find the Hifiman HE-500 for $300 used, they would be my pick. Awesome for metal and should work well with your gear :D

I'll watch in ebay for those. Too much difference with the 400i model? These are so much easy too find in a very convenient price. Thanks.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 26
Thanks for that idea. I didn't knew those headphones so I don't had it between my alternatives. I'll start reading some reviews about them. I hope that I would be able to listen them in some local hifi retailer.

There are very few reviews of them mostly because they were released only in Japan IIRC.This one was written by the member that originally told me about it.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/5-year-re-review-audio-technica-ath-ad2000.574882/

My views on it are quite similar to his.I will add that it can sound a bit cold,hollow and/or bright with the wrong amp,but plugged into the R2R-11 its an amazing combo.

You will not be able to hear it anywhere as its been discontinued for years and was quite rare in the West even back when it was still in production.In five years on Head-fi Ive only seen three pair up for sale,and I bought the first one.The ATH AD2000x is NOT the same,and I do not recommend it.

I'll watch in ebay for those. Too much difference with the 400i model? These are so much easy too find in a very convenient price. Thanks.

The mids on the HE-500 are amongst the best Ive ever heard,but they can be very power hungry.Not sure the R2R-11 is a great combo.Unfortunately I owned it and the R2R-11 at different times so I cant say for sure.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 26
Try and find a hifiman he4. I had mine when I also had an audio gd 10se, paired well. They work better with vintage amps but, that r2r11 should be just fine. In all honesty I can run the he4 on my fiio x3i, but, nothing compared to a proper amp. Perfect hps for rock/metal. Probably not easy to find these days though.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 26
The poor guy has gotten three recommendations thus far,all discontinued and/or hard-to-find HPs,but theyre all good suggestions.
If OP wants to try before he buys look into the HD650 and HE-400i,both are in or near your price range,both are still in production and both sound good with rock.The HD650 can be a bit slow with faster metal,but sounds very good with classic,NWOTHM and doom metal.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 26
I have the HD6xx and He-400i, both good, but for the type of music you want to listen to, I prefer the he400i. A bit more bass with less distortion in that range. TBH, the Fostex thx00 are electric with high energy music tho.

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 26
Try and find a hifiman he4. I had mine when I also had an audio gd 10se, paired well.

Seems hard to find but if I see one below the limits of my budget limit I'll consider to get it. Thanks,

If OP wants to try before he buys look into the HD650 and HE-400i,both are in or near your price range,both are still in production and both sound good with rock.The HD650 can be a bit slow with faster metal,but sounds very good with classic,NWOTHM and doom metal.

Actually I'm looking for some used sennheiser hd600 on ebay. I've seen those for really convenient prices and they are well considered in the introduction of that long thread about headphones for metal https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/

About the hd650 all that I've read in the past about them gave me the idea that they would be too dark for me. Too different from my Grado and my speaker setup. Maybe I have to will give them a chance

I have the HD6xx and He-400i, both good, but for the type of music you want to listen to, I prefer the he400i. A bit more bass with less distortion in that range. TBH, the Fostex thx00 are electric with high energy music tho.

The 400i seems a really good alternative because I can try it before make a decision. In the next days I hope to have time to go to the hifi shop of my town and listen to them

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 26
Seems hard to find but if I see one below the limits of my budget limit I'll consider to get it. Thanks,

Actually I'm looking for some used sennheiser hd600 on ebay. I've seen those for really convenient prices and they are well considered in the introduction of that long thread about headphones for metal https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/

About the hd650 all that I've read in the past about them gave me the idea that they would be too dark for me. Too different from my Grado and my speaker setup. Maybe I have to will give them a chance

The 400i seems a really good alternative because I can try it before make a decision. In the next days I hope to have time to go to the hifi shop of my town and listen to them
I would be wary of the HD600 for metal. The guitars would probably do well, but the drums are going to be weak.

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 26
I would be wary of the HD600 for metal. The guitars would probably do well, but the drums are going to be weak.

+1

I found the HD600s to be quite dull and un-energetic for metal.

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 26
How about The DT990 Pro All black version $160, Save the extra $ for more music :)

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 26
Some Beyerdynamic model would work? These brand is easy to find in my country and for reasonable price. With my budget I can get a T90 here but I haven't ear this model yet.

I do not like the mids,nor highs on all the Beyers I have owned for metal.To my ears the mids lack texture,so the chunk-chunk-chunk is missing from metal.Highs are really,really high.
In the past I have owned the Beyer T1.1,DT770 250ohm,DT990 600 ohm and currently own a vintage pair of DT990 600 ohm which sounds quite a bit different to the modern ones.

I enjoy Beyers for trance and psybient,taking advantage of that wide sound stage,but for metal I'd go for others already recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back