Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 18, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #316 of 1,678
Hello, how would you guys rate this combo vs the Mj2 (lisst tubes)/Gumby combo? Actually, I'm more concern with the dac portion of the R28. Is the dac in the R-28 on par with the Gumby? If so I might just sell the Gumby and get the r28 then preout into the Mj2.

If I were you I will stay with Gungnir. Why bother Dac/Amp if you already have a decent dac.

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #317 of 1,678
It's because I want a solid state amp and I think the R28 will be a better choice than the Mj2 with Lisst. Also, I'm planning on purchasing the Cavalli Liquid Platinum when it comes out. If I like it then there wouldn't be a need for the Mj2. So if the dacs are comparable then the purchase of the R28 will also be a downsizing opportunity as my space is limited.

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #318 of 1,678
It's because I want a solid state amp and I think the R28 will be a better choice than the Mj2 with Lisst. Also, I'm planning on purchasing the Cavalli Liquid Platinum when it comes out. If I like it then there wouldn't be a need for the Mj2. So if the dacs are comparable then the purchase of the R28 will also be a downsizing opportunity as my space is limited.

What is your system right now?

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #321 of 1,678
I don't know but it is safe to assume one will be derived from the other, the r-28 firmware that is.
Thanks, do you know if the new R-28 firmware is official or still in beta testing? I believe the R2R-7 fw is official but not sure about the R-28. Also is it just Altera fw for the R-28 or also new DA fw?

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #324 of 1,678
Thanks, do you know if the new R-28 firmware is official or still in beta testing? I believe the R2R-7 fw is official but not sure about the R-28. Also is it just Altera fw for the R-28 or also new DA fw?
No official release yet for either. But they will within a couple of weeks or a little more, as things are going right now.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #325 of 1,678
I feel the sound quality of the R28 jumps up with a better amp (I tested with the Master 9) so if you wanted an R1 but also an amp to use in the mean time until you got another, that'd work.

I should really compare the R28 with the Mojo. There were a few comments that the Gumby was at about the same level as it, DAC-wise, though that was a while ago and there have been changes since, mainly with the USB.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #326 of 1,678
I feel the sound quality of the R28 jumps up with a better amp (I tested with the Master 9) so if you wanted an R1 but also an amp to use in the mean time until you got another, that'd work.

I should really compare the R28 with the Mojo. There were a few comments that the Gumby was at about the same level as it, DAC-wise, though that was a while ago and there have been changes since, mainly with the USB.

Did the jump is significant in R28 internal amp compare to Master 9.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #327 of 1,678
Did the jump is significant in R28 internal amp compare to Master 9.

With the Utopias, the jump to Master 9 was quite noticeable. I am going to try with the Focal Elex soon though, which is a more realistic pairing. However in F(ull) mode, there is plenty of power for headphones like the Focal range.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #328 of 1,678
With the Utopias, the jump to Master 9 was quite noticeable. I am going to try with the Focal Elex soon though, which is a more realistic pairing. However in F(ull) mode, there is plenty of power for headphones like the Focal range.

Ok thanks.

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #329 of 1,678
There’s plenty of power in (L)ow Gain mode for the Focals. I generally don’t go past 50 on the dial with my Elear, and that’s less than 10% of the amp’s output capacity. In (H)igh Gain that drops to 40. I don’t even bother with (F) for the Elear - or the Atticus or LCD-3 for that matter.

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #330 of 1,678
Woah... When using my clears out of the balanced out I generally have the volume at around 12 on low gain with the nfb-1. Around 30 single ended for the 6xx mind you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back