Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #286 of 1,722
I've been watching this thread pretty closely and I'm wondering if anyone can help me make a decision. I already have an Auralic Taurus MKII but I've been without a DAC for awhile. I could sell the Taurus for seed money and just get the R-28. Or, I could keep the Taurus and get an R2R-1. This is going to be an office setup so it will see very consistent use and lately my headphone setup has become more of my "critical listening" area as opposed to me stereo.

What does everyone think? Headphones are Focal Clear.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #287 of 1,722
I just got my R-28 today. Initially, the sound has some noise artifact like listening to vinyl or old cassette tape. However, I tried installing Amanero drivers : https://amanero.com/drivers.htm. After that, it's totally improved. It's clearer without any noise. My AD2000 is never sounded this good. I'm totally happy with it.

From below image, I have put the volume to 50 for my Audio Technica : ATH-AD2000, which impedance is 40 ohm. Is that normal level?

Note : You have to install the drivers from Audio-GD or Amanero website, if you want ASIO drivers.

R-28.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #288 of 1,722
I just got my R-28 today. Initially, the sound has some noise artifact like listening to vinyl or old cassette tape. However, I tried installing Amanero drivers : https://amanero.com/drivers.htm. After that, it's totally improved. It's clearer without any noise. My AD2000 is never sounded this good. I'm totally happy with it.

From below image, I have put the volume to 50 for my Audio Technica : ATH-AD2000, which impedance is 40 ohm. Is that normal level?

Note : You have to install the drivers from Audio-GD or Amanero website, if you want ASIO drivers.

Congrats and enjoy!

Mine was dead silent and clean from the first moment it powered on. Using a Mac though so works natively sans needing any drivers.

Level 40 sounds about right seeing as it’s on L power. Some may suggest using it on H as that is the intended / optimal config. Low impedance headphones for me on H is around 30 for comfortable listening.

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #289 of 1,722
iirc you quote Kingwa saying that the noise is due to R2R nature ,I don't see how would this change from R2R11 to R2R 28 since both are ladder DAC and have same USB interface
Yes, he did suggest it was due to the nature of the R2R dac and NOS - in other words, no oversampling to remove the low level noise generated by DSD conversion that the R2R-11 doesn’t completely eliminate. I can only tell you that in OS 8x mode the R-28 has zero DSD noise no matter how high I turn up the volume. I haven’t tested it in NOS mode yet, and will report back here once I do.

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #290 of 1,722
Yes the pop noise is very little
The volume knot is louder than the pop but anyway you still can hear it.

If you use close headphone.
That would be a more problem than close. It not a major problem though
I can hardly hear the volume pot changing when music is playing at a reasonable volume, and I don’t hear any pops at all. Using a balanced open headphone (Focal Elear).

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #295 of 1,722
I can hardly hear the volume pot changing when music is playing at a reasonable volume, and I don’t hear any pops at all. Using a balanced open headphone (Focal Elear).

I think the volume changing knob sound quite noticeable I use open headphone also.

For the Pop in the headphone it a very very very small one in the background of music.

I use my remote to switch volume and i still notice it.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #297 of 1,722
Ladies and gentlemen: my endgame :)

Beautiful setup and a beautiful journey to get there. Heard it with the Elear (brilliant) and LCD (magic) and can only imagine the control it brings to the Atticus whilst maintaining the ZMFs signature warmth and body.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #298 of 1,722
why U no Stax ?
To be honest I’m not a big fan of Stax. Don’t like the vintage looks and cheap build quality (especially for the price), and although the sound is about as resolving as airy and fast as you can get with a pair of headphones, I also find it lacks the body and ‘punch’ of the best dynamic and planar headphones. If I only listened to classical and jazz I’d consider a Stax, but for everything else I prefer planar and dynamic.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #299 of 1,722
@FredA and @JaMo can you briefly elaborate on the differences you hear between OS 8x and NOS 3 (I’ve read the R2R-7 thread but don’t have a clear cut idea of why I would choose one over the other)? Am I correct in saying NOS 3 would be closer to the ‘organic’ NOS R2R sound like the stock R2R-11?

Also what are the benefits of enabling PLL?

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #300 of 1,722
@FredA and @JaMo can you briefly elaborate on the differences you hear between OS 8x and NOS 3 (I’ve read the R2R-7 thread but don’t have a clear cut idea of why I would choose one over the other)? Am I correct in saying NOS 3 would be closer to the ‘organic’ NOS R2R sound like the stock R2R-11?

Also what are the benefits of enabling PLL?

Thanks!
I don't use the pll, as the recloking circuit provides a clean clock signal. But whatever effects it has soundwise, if you prefer with it, it's up to you to use it, there is no right or wrong. I prefer without but only tried it briefy during the first weeks of ownership.

As for nos3, it is the one that is like the r2r 11: it's less dynamic and more organic. The 8x os is just the opposite.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back