Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
May 3, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #1,669 of 1,734
Do you think something like this would be better?
https://allo.com/sparky-eu/digione-signature-player.html
Gamer computer is the most fun part in this hobby. The achievement of turning it into something new.

That $424.00 USD if you spend it on Corsair AX1600i.

Why?

Because you need something that can take care of the transient response for the GPU. AX1600i will make the computer like new. I noticed it right away, but took 1-3months before it really settled.

ALWAYS OVERKILL....I have a gpu that only use RTX4070/200W on full load. My total is not exceeding 300W.

Overall no other ATX/PSU can beat Corsair AX1600i yet in the measurements. It is truly something that shines through in Audio-gd.

Keep your gamer don´t waste time on another source that keeping-you-switching-input from one to another source all the time. Do this if you really wan´t to spend more time on the gamer.

May 3, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #1,672 of 1,734
Gamer computer is the most fun part in this hobby. The achievement of turning it into something new.

That $424.00 USD if you spend it on Corsair AX1600i.

Why?

Because you need something that can take care of the transient response for the GPU. AX1600i will make the computer like new. I noticed it right away, but took 1-3months before it really settled.

ALWAYS OVERKILL....I have a gpu that only use RTX4070/200W on full load. My total is not exceeding 300W.

Overall no other ATX/PSU can beat Corsair AX1600i yet in the measurements. It is truly something that shines through in Audio-gd.

Keep your gamer don´t waste time on another source that keeping-you-switching-input from one to another source all the time. Do this if you really wan´t to spend more time on the gamer.
how about this CORSAIR HX1500i (2023) 1500W 80+Platinum would be worth it. Price 340 euro

May 3, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #1,673 of 1,734
how about this CORSAIR HX1500i (2023) 1500W 80+Platinum would be worth it. Price 340 euro
AX1600i. Nothing else.

I almost threw the RM750 in the trash after the initial impressions with AX. It also bettered external LPSU -I used for my Audiophile cards. I don´t think any LPSU under1000dollars will better it, when you get your Audiophile PCIe card. Even higher JCAT Optimo Duo will maybe.

This is not a upgrade you should do right away. Just wait and achieve the improvements. Know what your DAC sounds like before any upgrade.

Just get what DAC you want, but have in mind the next upgrade is the investment into source.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #1,674 of 1,734
AX1600i. Nothing else.

I almost threw the RM750 in the trash after the initial impressions with AX. It also bettered external LPSU -I used for my Audiophile cards. I don´t think any LPSU under1000dollars will better it, when you get your Audiophile PCIe card. Even higher JCAT Optimo Duo will maybe.

This is not a upgrade you should do right away. Just wait and achieve the improvements. Know what your DAC sounds like before any upgrade.

Just get what DAC you want, but have in mind the next upgrade is the investment into source.
ok
tnx

May 3, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #1,675 of 1,734
AX1600i. Nothing else.

I second this. I recommend that you use your dac a lot and get used to it for a while. It's super amazing on its own without any of these upgrades. That way you can really see the effects that these upgrades have on it when you chose to purchase them. They don't turn the dac into something new or radically different. All of these upgrades and generally most upgrades along the lines of cleaning the signals and power, are usually all enhancements in a way, not transformations. In my experience. They can enhance the foundational characteristics of your components, they don't change them. A good example is for close to three years I never used DDC devices or any sore of digital converters. I just went direct usb from my ipad mini or macmini. For years. Sounds awesome. So good, so nice, i got to fall in love with the dacs and devices. Only over the last year or so have I been using DDC devices and digital interfaces. Does it make everything a million times better? Nope. Does it fnally make it listenable and make it unlistenable without? Nope. Does it enhance the experince making it better? A bit yah. And I love that. It's a slight enhanvement and when I notice it it love it. I highly recommend getting very familiar with products before doing upgrades. In my expeirnce, doing it this was has made it so I know full well now what parts of all of my music chains I like to upgrade and what I don't. I have found that things that a lot of people like to spend money enhancing, I don't care about. So what this does for me is makes it so I'm not so hypnotized by everyone else's opinions of what "needs" to be done to get "good" sound and I can focus only on what sound I want to hear.

I am in the process of upgrading my entire speaker set up. I saved up for a long time, I've got the money for the entire system upgrade to happen at once, but I am doing it part by part. A few weeks ago I paid for a dac to be made. Yesterday I paid for the preamp to be made. Once those are built and come in, I'll pay for the power amplifier. I do it like this so I can really experience the incremental upgrades to the system. In my experience and often times when its done like they it gives us time to really familiarize ourselves with the ins and outs of the components and your personal set up. This is what helped me really dial in my end game headphone set up, my desktop set up, and it's what will help me dial in my speaker set up.

That said, if you love the chase, the forums, the searching, the game of that, then by all means have at it and chase that dragon for sure. It can be really fun.

The D28NOS to me is one of the all time great price to performance products I have come across. You'll be super happy no matter what you do or don't upgrade.

May 3, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #1,676 of 1,734
May 3, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #1,677 of 1,734
There are the following options if you want to go SBC direction:
C19 digital transport or just a plain raspberry pi with a good power supply. USB signature is a raspberry pi 3 with parts replaced to get better sound quality. C19 is a similar product verified by fellow user to be better.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006262896514.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.305836xp36xp7D&algo_pvid=4055c2f8-7edb-4a79-8737-ad505706ae27&algo_exp_id=4055c2f8-7edb-4a79-8737-ad505706ae27-0&pdp_npi=4@dis!CAD!470.87!457.96!!!2419.66!2353.34!@2101cff817147564438441089ec85a!12000036517852239!sea!CA!0!AB&curPageLogUid=RAR5lfQnfPiK&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:
Yep. Got one of these. Really really good if you are familiar with the Rasberry pi. Some say on a French forum it puts to shame 3K streamers.

May 4, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #1,678 of 1,734
Spent a little time reading up on DDC's yesterday. Audio-gd ones come highly recommended. Do you happen to know anything about the Singxer SU6? That one also seems highly rated and its significantly less expensive than the audio-gd options...
I had the Singxer f1. Usually, people favor audio - gd over Singxer. A di24 or used di20 would certainly be an upgrade.

May 7, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #1,679 of 1,734
Hi,
can you tell me how I would further improve the sound of Audio-GD – R28 NOS

tnx
Hi there, I just found this thread and awhile back I posted on a DI-24HE first impression thread, as I was curious how the R-28 Pairs with DI-24HE when it was announced, and after that I manage to demo DI-24HE and DI-20HE With my AGD R-28 2022. so Im just gonna copy paste it, however take it with a pinch of salt as it its my thoughts and My R-28 is 2022 Version not the NOS version,

"So recently on my visit to my local audio store the demo unit has arrive, and since my agd r-28 has an issue with line out, and since I bring my r-28 for checking and warranty (electrical gremlin) to the shop Id figure out oh why not try it with the combo since its here,

First impression is exactly what FredA mention on the beginning of this thread, I do find the DI-24HE is less warm, a tiny touch more lean and sterile but sounds very similar like DI-20HE paired with AGD R-28, do note the demo unit literally just arrive at the shop and It hasn't burned in.

As for pairing with the R-28, I do find that the R-28 is completely fine without DDC, you're not missing that much in-terms of performance and sound quality, however the R-27 2021 does benefit quite a lot with a DDC.

As for headphone since Im at the audio store I can just use/loan their headphone for this testing, and I demoed the setup with Audeze LCD-2 (Pre Fazor), LCD-X and Hifiman He1000se and the eversolo is used solely as a streamer to stream Tidal and Roon,

Personally Id still prefer the DI-20He due to the 20 has more warmth but again this is first impression take it with a bucket of salt and the DI-24He demo unit just arrived and havent fully burned it, Just wanted to share my thoughts since I did asked about this combo prior hope this will help others that are intrested in this combo like I did
:smile: "

and after a few days? Or a week I went back to the shop and demo R-28 with DI-20HE, Which also Im just gonna copy and paste what I mention on that thread.

" Imo the R-28 doesn't really need a ddc, I went back few days back to try it with DI-20HE, the difference are it has a different presentation, more open (not necessarily more wider sound stage) and a its tiny touch lean with the di-20, without the ddc the sound is closer to your face and it has a more fun and energetic presentation if you will, but comparing with and without ddc you're just getting a different presentation and not more or less performance. However for the R-27 2021 I do very much agree a ddc will benefit greatly in terms of sound performance, It might be the R-28 i2s implementation isn't as good as R-27 idk? Or well the r-28 is a "mid-high" product, regardless you are not missing a lot."

Hope that helps

Attachments

• P_20240414_162302.jpg
    P_20240414_162302.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #1,680 of 1,734
Received my R-1 today. Pleasantly surprised to find out its the 2021 model (I'm assuming that means it came with upgrades?). Anyone here possibly willing to explain the differences between the 2021 model vs other years by any chance? I've only been listening for an hour or so, and I know these DACs are famous for having to warm up - but my initial impressions are very positive. As others have mentioned, it retains the house sound of other audio-gd products (comparing directly to my r2r-11 og version), but I definitely hear a level or naturalness/clarity I wasn't hearing with that dac. Also, compared to the Geshelli J2 AKM 4499 I have with the upgraded opamps, the R-1 sounds significantly fuller, smoother, and just not as "boring" if that makes sense.

A couple questions for anyone who's familiar with this dac. I tried looking at the manual on audio-gd's site but I couldnt see anything specifically about this. The "oversampling" mode has 4 different options: 0, 2x, 4x, and 8x. Not sure I understand right - "0" mode under the oversample option means "class technology NOS mode". So what exactly is the difference between setting this option to 0 under oversample mode vs putting the dac into NOS mode directly? Also, when set to NOS mode, I have 3 different modes for that also. WHat exactly are the differences in NOS modes for this dac? The manual says that there's only 1 mode for the NOS option now, but I have 3 so I'm assuming I have an older version of the dac.

Thanks for all your help! Definitely have to listen more but I'm really liking it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back