Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
May 1, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #1,636 of 1,748
As @sajunky mentioned, I have the original r2r 11 at my remote office. I recently replaced the clocks on the Amanero for Crystek cchd-575s. This make the r2r 11 sound crazy good. Also, if you do no use a DDC on yours, it is a good upgrade path as well.

The r28 is a very good combo, even better in the last version with two transformers
That's really interesting. Still learning about this type of stuff. What is a DDC? Is that different from the USB isolator that @sajunky posted about? Also, how difficult was it to replace the clocks for crystek ones? Any sort of tutorial available for something like that? Thanks!

May 1, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #1,637 of 1,748
That's really interesting. Still learning about this type of stuff. What is a DDC? Is that different from the USB isolator that @sajunky posted about? Also, how difficult was it to replace the clocks for crystek ones? Any sort of tutorial available for something like that? Thanks!
Like the di24/he or di20/he. These work really well with a r2r 11/mkii. DDC stands for digital to digital converter. So it takes usb audio and converts it to spdif. It isolates from the computer and outputs a spdif or i2s signal with very low jitter. The Audio-gd nos dacs benefit a lot from a ddc. The R1, not as much.

May 1, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #1,638 of 1,748
Like the di24/he or di20/he. These work really well with a r2r 11/mkii. DDC stands for digital to digital converter. So it takes usb audio and converts it to spdif. It isolates from the computer and outputs a spdif or i2s signal with very low jitter. The Audio-gd nos dacs benefit a lot from a ddc. The R1, not as much.
Okay, I think I get it. How does something like that compare to running via USB directly to the the r2r11 with upgraded USB clocks? Also, I have a topping d10 that converts the signal to spdif output. What exactly is the DDC doing that makes it superior? Better circuitry and less jitter compared to something basic like the topping d10 im guessing?

May 2, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #1,640 of 1,748
How does something like that compare to running via USB directly to the the r2r11 with upgraded USB clocks? Also, I have a topping d10 that converts the signal to spdif output. What exactly is the DDC doing that makes it superior? Better circuitry and less jitter compared to something basic like the topping d10 im guessing?
Direct USB is good for a low jitter, but expose DAC to a noise. Noise when entering a DAC, it convert to jitter. On the other side D10 used as a poorman DDC (it is your use) reduce noise, but S/PDIF connection adds some amount of jitter. You found it sounds better, it means that a noise was extensive on the direct USB connection. It demonstrate what is a main function of a DDC - reducing noise.
USB isolator do not add jitter while reducing noise. It will probably work better than your currect setup with a poorman DDC which is Topping D10. When you get your R-1, adding a good DDC like DI-24HE is an obvious choice. Is has I2S port which is specially designed for connecting to a DDC. In meantime USB isolator will do its job.

Regarding upgrading clocks on your R2R-11, I have posted detailed instruction in the Poorman DDC thread. Also posted on the Audio GD R2R thread photos of my upgraded Amanero module. It doesn't reduce a noise, so you need the USB isolator too. D10 is a proof for that.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #1,641 of 1,748
Okay, I think I get it. How does something like that compare to running via USB directly to the the r2r11 with upgraded USB clocks? Also, I have a topping d10 that converts the signal to spdif output. What exactly is the DDC doing that makes it superior? Better circuitry and less jitter compared to something basic like the topping d10 im guessing?
Not all ddcs will improve things drastically. One will if its clocks are excellent. The r2r 11 is a synchronous/reclocking dac. It can't really removed all low frequency phase noise. Using an spdif signal out of a well clocked and silent ddc, the dac will be able to handle the rest of the phase noise using the common Wolfson 8805 receiver.
Replacing the clock on the Amanero board is very tricky. The clocks needs to be de soldered and the soldering part is not so easy either. The resulting sound is amazing. A ddc can normally do even better. Depending on how low jitter is at the output, of course.

May 2, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #1,642 of 1,748
can anyone help me choose Audio-GD – R28 NOS or Audio-GD – D-28.38 , what is the difference
The size is a huge factor. The R28 NOS is bigger. It’s not giant but it is bigger. The dac chip is different. Are you familiar with the difference between the sound of delta sigma, in this case the ESS chip and R2R dacs? I have never heard the D28.38 so I personably cannot comment on its sound. Maybe some people here have heard it and can chime in and help. I do love my R28NOS though.

May 2, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #1,643 of 1,748
Direct USB is good for a low jitter, but expose DAC to a noise. Noise when entering a DAC, it convert to jitter. On the other side D10 used as a poorman DDC (it is your use) reduce noise, but S/PDIF connection adds some amount of jitter. You found it sounds better, it means that a noise was extensive on the direct USB connection. It demonstrate what is a main function of a DDC - reducing noise.

USB isolator do not add jitter while reducing noise. It will probably work better than your currect setup with a poorman DDC which is Topping D10. When you get your R-1, adding a good DDC like DI-24HE is an obvious choice. Is has I2S port which is specially designed for connecting to a DDC. In meantime USB isolator will do its job.

Regarding upgrading clocks on your R2R-11, I have posted detailed instruction in the Poorman DDC thread. Also posted on the Audio GD R2R thread photos of my upgraded Amanero module. It doesn't reduce a noise, so you need the USB isolator too. D10 is a proof for that.
Okay got it. I think I will use an isolator for the time being like you mentioned. Thanks again. Does an R2R11 with a ddc or an isolator hold its own against an R-1? I'm wondering if I would have better better off investing in a DDC instead of a new dac... have to wait until I get the R-1 before I can really make that judgement.

May 2, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #1,644 of 1,748
Not all ddcs will improve things drastically. One will if its clocks are excellent. The r2r 11 is a synchronous/reclocking dac. It can't really removed all low frequency phase noise. Using an spdif signal out of a well clocked and silent ddc, the dac will be able to handle the rest of the phase noise using the common Wolfson 8805 receiver.
Replacing the clock on the Amanero board is very tricky. The clocks needs to be de soldered and the soldering part is not so easy either. The resulting sound is amazing. A ddc can normally do even better. Depending on how low jitter is at the output, of course.
Spent a little time reading up on DDC's yesterday. Audio-gd ones come highly recommended. Do you happen to know anything about the Singxer SU6? That one also seems highly rated and its significantly less expensive than the audio-gd options...

May 2, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #1,645 of 1,748
Does an R2R11 with a ddc or an isolator hold its own against an R-1? I'm wondering if I would have better better off investing in a DDC instead of a new dac... have to wait until I get the R-1 before I can really make that judgement.
Both will benefit from the isolator, as there is no on-board isolator. Even current models with on-board isolator or a DDC will benefit, to a less degree. So such investment is not lost.

I can't judge what is better. R2R-11 to work with a DDC is limited to S/PDIF. R1 can also be connected through I2S, it is a prefered option. It could be your end game, but before you get a DDC, you have number options to explore, hope you will be back sharing experience.
:)

May 2, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #1,646 of 1,748
Both will benefit from the isolator, as there is no on-board isolator. Even current models with on-board isolator or a DDC will benefit, to a less degree. So such investment is not lost.

I can't judge what is better. R2R-11 to work with a DDC is limited to S/PDIF. R1 can also be connected through I2S, it is a prefered option. It could be your end game, but before you get a DDC, you have number options to explore, hope you will be back sharing experience.
:)
Definitely will. Thanks for all your help. This forum is such a great resource!

May 2, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #1,647 of 1,748
Spent a little time reading up on DDC's yesterday. Audio-gd ones come highly recommended. Do you happen to know anything about the Singxer SU6? That one also seems highly rated and its significantly less expensive than the audio-gd options...
I use my R28 (2022) with a Singxer SU-2. Not exactly the same as the SU-6, but the reasons I am using it are for the isolation and the ability to customize the I2S pinout to be compatible with the R28. In case you are curious, I already had the Singxer, and didn't get it specifically for this.
I did a comparison when I first got the R28 a couple of months ago, and I couldn't tell much if any difference between the USB direct from my Ropieee and I2S via the Singxer. I think this is because the R28 2022 reclocks most (all?) inputs using very similar clocks as what the Singxer uses. I would expect more differences with other editions. I have used the Singxer in the past with other DACs, and I did hear subtle improvements to the sound.
I ended up settling on the I2S because it worked better with Roon (I don't think the USB controller's firmware has been upgraded on my R28), and not because I heard a significant difference.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #1,648 of 1,748
I use my R28 (2022) with a Singxer SU-2. Not exactly the same as the SU-6, but the reasons I am using it are for the isolation and the ability to customize the I2S pinout to be compatible with the R28. In case you are curious, I already had the Singxer, and didn't get it specifically for this.
I did a comparison when I first got the R28 a couple of months ago, and I couldn't tell much if any difference between the USB direct from my Ropieee and I2S via the Singxer. I think this is because the R28 2022 reclocks most (all?) inputs using very similar clocks as what the Singxer uses. I would expect more differences with other editions. I have used the Singxer in the past with other DACs, and I did hear subtle improvements to the sound.
I ended up settling on the I2S because it worked better with Roon (I don't think the USB controller's firmware has been upgraded on my R28), and not because I heard a significant difference.
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if the 2022+ models of the R-1 also apply reclocks? Still not sure which year the pre-owned R1 I bought is from since I haven't received it yet. So based on what youre saying - earlier year versions are more likely to see benefit from a DDC because they don't reclock every input the way the 2022+ versions do?

May 2, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #1,649 of 1,748
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if the 2022+ models of the R-1 also apply reclocks? Still not sure which year the pre-owned R1 I bought is from since I haven't received it yet. So based on what youre saying - earlier year versions are more likely to see benefit from a DDC because they don't reclock every input the way the 2022+ versions do?
I think the R-1 2021 does have the same or similar reclocking as the R-28 2022. That is completely based on the product pages though.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #1,650 of 1,748
It not reclocking per say, but rather clocking from scratch and indeed a ddc makes less of a difference (marginal, most often) in this case. It still act as an isolator from the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back