Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #1,621 of 1,748
Thank you for sharing your impressions! Super helpful.

I have no doubt that DAC aspect (essentially an R-8) and the headphone amp / preamp aspect (Master 19) would be great. I just hope I would 'lose' much by not having a more (specialized?) preamp.

At one point I had the Ayre K-3x, and that sounded beautiful.

I suppose the great thing about getting an R27RE is that it is only slightly more costly than a great standalone DAC from Audio-gd. I could always add a fancier preamp in between it and my power amps at some point, and then later still down the road, get the latest and greatest R-7 iteration.

I do find the 2019 R-28 (basically, old NFB-1 amp/preamp) to be a bit flat out of my speakers. Not the most expansive sound. Through headphones it's a similar step down than what the Master 9 brought.

What are you using for a power amp?
I am currently using a pair of Schiit Vidars. The ones that were updated like a year ago. I think technically its the Vidar 2 but on their site it's listed as the VIdar so I'll call it that. The Vidars are set up as monoblocks from the R27RE. The Vidars are going out to GR Research XLS Encore. For tubes I have a Elekit TU8200R with some mods.

Before I had the R28NOS as both the DAC and preamp I had it connected to a Schiit Kara. The Kara is amazing for it's price. It could be a great starting point to see if a preamp is useful or not for you.

When I was finalizing my speaker room I did a test where I connected my Schiit Yggi OG to the Schiit Kara connected to the 2x Vidars listeneing for a week going from gaming to TV to music. I then switched to my HE9LE. I couldn't hear much of a difference at all. It was very obvious that the Kara + Yggi OG + 2x Vidar was designed to work in harmony. It's amazing. I wanted an amazing headphone set up though so I tired the HE9LE and it sounded the exact same but with a badass headphone section now. Amazing. Open. Dretailed. Truly amazing. But the damn size of the HE9LE is so big I'd need to get a new rack. I had the R28NOS in my office as my desktop R2R set up. Not sure how many of these posts you've followed but in case you're hopping on now, I like having more than one set up in any one place. So on my desk I have the R28NOS next to the Geshelli Labs super upgraded with top tier Sparkos opamps stack. They work wonders next to each other. So out of curiosity to see what great actual proper R2R would sound like with the Kara on my speakers in the music room, I put the HE9LE and Schiit Yggi OG back in my headphone room, which is actually where I really wanted it, and connected the R28NOS to the Kara just as a DAC. It was awesome. Smooth wonderful open neutrality. Totally dissappeared and soinded great. It really showed me how much the Yggi OG was flavoring the sound, it showed me what the Schiit house sound is. Don't get me wrong, I love the Schiit house sound, but in my speaker room I do so many differnet things in there like gaming, TV, and music that the wide open neutrality of the dac section of the R28NOS is ideal. It just gets out of the way and makes everything I put through it digitally sound amazing. But I missed it in my office! So then I though, what would happen if I simplified it and used the R28NOS as the actual preamp. I took the Kara out of the chain and connected the Vidar amps to the XLR out of the R28NOS and it sounded wonderful. It sounded VERY close to the exact same as just the dac of the R28NOS goinf through the Kara so I sold the Kara to help go up to the R27 line so I could have the R28NOS back in my office. I knew I wanted either the R27RE or R27HE. I like the idea of the all in one. The physical size of the R27RE is ideal and my power is already super duper clean so when I was saving and looking and saving I saw a used R27RE and jumped on it. It's incredible. I would happily pay full price for one and it would be worth it. I love it so much. To me it is very much an obvious step up from the R28NOS.

So now as is I do love the set up with the R27RE as both the dac and preamp, I did miss parts of the dedicated preamp however. I got an amp switcher made so when I had the Kara preamp I could seamlessly go back and forth playing my vinyl or digigital music on my tube amp or solid state amps and always have a sub connected. I had it set up where all I would need to do it turn on the vinyl chain and tube and and I could conrol the volume of all of it with one remote and just swithcing between sources. No getting up plugging one thing in and another thing out. WIth a dedicated preamp all my chains are connected and it is super seamless moving between them. There is only one analog input to the R28NOS and the R27lines so my single ended phono preamp could not connect. I actually this morning paid for a custom tube preamp to be built for me because for my set up there is a vinyl chain, music chain, and gaming chain, it is ideal to have it all integrated with a separate preamp that has a dedicated sub out. That's the one issue I have with the R28 and R27 lines. Even though it can preamp out to speaker amps, to me a proper preamp is a bridge between multiple sources, not just a volume control. The dedicated Audio GD headphone amps are that, the Kara is that, the R28 and R27 line is not that. Besides that, they're incredible. I get dealighted every time I use them both.

Before I answered your question of if you would lose anything form going to a dedicated preamp I wanted to share all those expeirnces.

So to finally ling-windedly answer your question there I would ask what your music chain looks like. There are many great preamps that are totally transparent and just play the sound like the Kara. A dedicated preamp can also add some yummy tube flavor or other flavor to the mix if you want. I like tube + R2R a lot persoanlly. Preamps can get rad like that if you want them to. What you could gain from a preamp is the ability to run multiple music chains to the same amplifier + sub and all you need to do is chose between the preamp inpits which is huge for me. Or if you want to run to a single ended tube amp as well as a sub, you'd need a preamp for that. The R28 and R27 models only have one RCA output for preamp. Those two reasons are why I decided to get a new preamp. But if you're only using digital and if the R28 or R27 model you're using is all you are using as a dac, you're more than golden. Sonically I found it VERY difficuly to tell a difference between the Shitt Kara and R28NOS. All you would gain is new options. If though, you do plan on adding to the chain and want to keep the R28 or R27 model you have you most likely will want a separate preamp at some point. To me, its necessary, but like I said before I need options. In my office at my desk I alsways have at least 2 different music chains to chose from. Same in my headphone listneing area, same in the AV room.

Hope all that helped.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #1,622 of 1,748
Possible.
Thank you for your time and opinion/ explanation. :)

Thank you too.
Wasn't an galvanic isolated upgrade available for the og?
I'm curious as this would make more sense for me, except upgrading to R27 for this specific reason. ( and others, obviously)
Not that there's an issue on my unit soundwise. :)
It all comes down to if it's reasonable and, ehm, doable, of course.

Nonetheless, I appreciate all input.
Thanks again. :)
Did the size stay the same of the R28 you have and the R28NOS? My R27RE is bigger than the R28NOS. I consider the R28NOS close to the limit of "desktop" size and the R27RE too big.

To my ears the R27RE is a step from the R28NOS. In all aspects. I love love love the R28NOS for sure, but to me everything it does the R27Re does better and with much more ability to customize with the upsampling and the output voltage of the dac section. Obviously upsampling is not avaliable on the R28NOS but I'm not sure if the dac output adjustment is, I don't see it in the manual. If you like the upsampling options, I would not recommend the R28NOS. Just go to the R27 and at least get the RE if you don't want the HE. The regenrative power is great.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,623 of 1,748
Yes.
It's the same size.
I'm a bit hesitant on the upgrading path to R27 bc of its size, too.
The R27HE would be the logical step up for me.
But, as I mentioned before, the R28 fits all my needs perfectly for now.

Drives all headphones, the RCA inputs for Mojo or my TT, feeding my Elac floorstanders and my tube amp.
It's a great AIO, for sure.
Inputs used are the USB and optical (TV)

What's the difference with the output voltage of the NOS?
Isn't it 2.5 SE and 5 volts bal like the old R28?

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #1,624 of 1,748
Wasn't an galvanic isolated upgrade available for the og?
Galvanic isolator was only available as an option on the R2R-11mk2, now discountinued. In 2021 all models from R8 up received isolator, but not a middle range R1/R28.

In high-end range there is more advanced isolator than in NOS model, optimised for jitter. If you mostly use USB, it makes a difference.

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #1,625 of 1,748
Yes.
It's the same size.
I'm a bit hesitant on the upgrading path to R27 bc of its size, too.
The R27HE would be the logical step up for me.
But, as I mentioned before, the R28 fits all my needs perfectly for now.

Drives all headphones, the RCA inputs for Mojo or my TT, feeding my Elac floorstanders and my tube amp.
It's a great AIO, for sure.
Inputs used are the USB and optical (TV)

What's the difference with the output voltage of the NOS?
Isn't it 2.5 SE and 5 volts bal like the old R28?
Look at the manual on the R27re page on the audio gd site. You can chose different outputs voltages.

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #1,626 of 1,748
Can't understand the change of AGD from R28 to R28NOS.

At least at my R28 (2020), there're a lot more options to play with.
First the modes itself, I'm at OS8 usually, but switch to NOS when in mood. :wink:
My device also has the RCA inputs, which imo is a benefit, at least for me pairing it with the Mojo2 for a very different yet enjoyable presentation for listening.

Based in EU with, to date, a rather clean power supply, it sounds phenomenal with my active Elacs.
Not to forget, that it drives my headphones very well and with great authority.

What's the purpose of the NOS version, which is just a "castrated" version to force the R27, imo of course. :thinking:

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily upgrade to the R27, but in my eyes it isn't reasonable and doesn't make sense.
From this pov, I guess that the og R28 was "downgraded" to R28NOS to gain more attention on the R27. :wink:

I'll be happy and appreciate, if someone proves me wrong. :)

p.s.
I sometimes use it as a pre to my tube amp for listening to my ZMF VO and FiiO FT3, even that the FT3 sounds better directly out of the R28. ^^
Another thing to think about is the dac and amp sections. They are both upgraded on the R27. If the R28 is perfect and enough for you and it sounds like it is then hell no don't upgrade. No need. And to me I can say even from the R27RE the R28NOS is not even close to a downgrade. To me they're close to perfection, they just do different things. I can hear a big difference and located in their different listening spaces they're prefect. The R27RE is larger than the R28NOS so I'm eternally grateful I don't have it on my desk. The R28NOS gives me such lush deep sound on the desk that it's perfection. So I would assume its the same, its not a downgrade in any way from the R28 you have, it just does a different thing. That's aligns with what I read in the description of the R28NOS on the Audio GD site.

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #1,627 of 1,748
Got it, thanks.
So unless my unit cracks up or I move to a bigger space, I won't to the upgrade to R27. :)

Plus the R28, in regard to the other/higher devices of AGD, is a real "space saver". :ksc75smile:

May 1, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #1,629 of 1,748
Hi guys. I'm a long time lurker of this forum and especially of this thread. Just got my hands on a used R-1 (non NOS version) and I figured this might be a good place to ask a couple questions if it's ok. The R-1 is just the DAC portion of the R28 correct? Like it's basically the exact same circuitry just without the amp section? I've had my OG R2R-11 (non mk2 - bought around 2017) and I still love it but I'm looking to upgrade. Does anyone have any experience comparing the og r2r-11 and the r28 (or r-1) specifically? Thanks!

May 1, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #1,630 of 1,748
Hi guys. I'm a long time lurker of this forum and especially of this thread. Just got my hands on a used R-1 (non NOS version) and I figured this might be a good place to ask a couple questions if it's ok. (1) The R-1 is just the DAC portion of the R28 correct? (2) Like it's basically the exact same circuitry just without the amp section? I've had my OG R2R-11 (non mk2 - bought around 2017) and I still love it but I'm looking to upgrade. (3) Does anyone have any experience comparing the og r2r-11 and the r28 (or r-1) specifically? Thanks!
1. Correct.
2. Yes.
3. Not similar quality, but house of sound is the same as R-1. So it is an upgrade and no surprises. If it is 2020 or 21 model, check it might have Accusilicon ultra low noise oscilators, important option.

How big is the upgrade? It depends. @FredA owns the latest top of range HE-7 and previously R-7HE and he is still happy from R2R-11 in his home office.

It comes to the mportant things, it can be a bigger upgrade than to R-1. If you use USB, both R-1 and R2R-11 may sound good or not, depends on the source as there is no galvanic isolation. Add isolator in first place and see how it transforms old poor R2R-11. It won't be wasted on the R-1 too.

There are new USB isolator chips that bring cost down to ~$40, it is discussed on a Douk Audio Poorman DDC thread. Here is my latest post, scroll back two or three pages to see full story:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dou...ble-clean-digital-signal.958462/post-18096245

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #1,631 of 1,748
1. Correct.
2. Yes.
3. Not similar quality, but house of sound is the same as R-1. So it is an upgrade and no surprises. If it is 2020 or 21 model, check it might have Accusilicon ultra low noise oscilators, important option.

How big is the upgrade? It depends. @FredA owns the latest top of range HE-7 and previously R-7HE and he is still happy from R2R-11 in his home office.

It comes to the mportant things, it can be a bigger upgrade than to R-1. If you use USB, both R-1 and R2R-11 may sound good or not, depends on the source as there is no galvanic isolation. Add isolator in first place and see how it transforms old poor R2R-11. It won't be wasted on the R-1 too.

There are new of USB isolator chips that bring cost down to ~$40, it is discussed on a Douk Audio Poorman DDC thread. Here is my latest post, scroll back two or three pages to see full story:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dou...ble-clean-digital-signal.958462/post-18096245
Wow, really helpful, thanks! Will do more research about usb isolation. A couple more questions if you don't mind. Still waiting for the R-1 to arrive to me, so in the meantime I'm trying to learn more about it. I'm not sure what year the model R-1 I'm getting is. Is there an easy way for me to check if it has the oscillators or not?

Originally I bought a Geshelli J2S dac fully decked out with sparkos opamps and the AKM 4499EX chip thinking it would be an upgrade from my R2R11 dac. But it really wasn't. I found the Geshelli to be ever so slightly more resolving but it doesn't have the lushness or the "musicality" of the R2R11. I guess I just really like what the R2R11 does to music. Also, I read on this thread a few pages back that the NOS version might not be as high quality as the non nos version? What exactly is the supposed benefit of the NOS version? And since the standard R-1 has a NOS mode does at have the benefits of the NOS version anyway? Thanks again!

May 1, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #1,632 of 1,748
Is there an easy way for me to check if it has the oscillators or not?
Search a website for R-1, it will bring number of old versions, then compare photos with yours. Post serial number to Kingwa, his team will respond quickly which version it is and what is a latest recommended version of firmware.
I found the Geshelli to be ever so slightly more resolving but it doesn't have the lushness or the "musicality" of the R2R11. I guess I just really like what the R2R11 does to music. Also, I read on this thread a few pages back that the NOS version might not be as high quality as the non nos version? What exactly is the supposed benefit of the NOS version? And since the standard R-1 has a NOS mode does at have the benefits of the NOS version anyway?
NOS version has no FPGA due to the cost increase of chips and I was afraid that it would have impact on sound quality. However response to R-1/R-28 NOS is enthusiastic, it was done well and a galvanic isolator is a new feature your R-1 do not have. But I gave you a hint for these new isolator bargain devices that will bring your R-1 to the same level.

May 1, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #1,633 of 1,748
Search a website for R-1, it will bring number of old versions, then compare photos with yours. Post serial number to Kingwa, his team will respond quickly which version it is and what is a latest recommended version of firmware.

NOS version has no FPGA due to the cost increase of chips and I was afraid that it would have impact on sound quality. However response to R-1/R-28 NOS is enthusiastic, it was done well and a galvanic isolator is a new feature your R-1 do not have. But I gave you a hint for these new isolator bargain devices that will bring your R-1 to the same level.
Hi! About the software of the r28 NOS, (I am a complete newbie) is there anything I need to buy to install this software or can I install it by USB? Thank you!

May 1, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #1,634 of 1,748
Hi! About the software of the r28 NOS, (I am a complete newbie) is there anything I need to buy to install this software or can I install it by USB? Thank you!
With the exception of two R2R modules, everything is done in hardware, there are no programmable chips, microprocessors, so no firmware.
:)

May 1, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #1,635 of 1,748
Hi guys. I'm a long time lurker of this forum and especially of this thread. Just got my hands on a used R-1 (non NOS version) and I figured this might be a good place to ask a couple questions if it's ok. The R-1 is just the DAC portion of the R28 correct? Like it's basically the exact same circuitry just without the amp section? I've had my OG R2R-11 (non mk2 - bought around 2017) and I still love it but I'm looking to upgrade. Does anyone have any experience comparing the og r2r-11 and the r28 (or r-1) specifically? Thanks!
As @sajunky mentioned, I have the original r2r 11 at my remote office. I recently replaced the clocks on the Amanero for Crystek cchd-575s. This make the r2r 11 sound crazy good. Also, if you do no use a DDC on yours, it is a good upgrade path as well.

The r28 is a very good combo, even better in the last version with two transformers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back