Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 19, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #331 of 1,593
There’s plenty of power in (L)ow Gain mode for the Focals. I generally don’t go past 50 on the dial with my Elear, and that’s less than 10% of the amp’s output capacity. In (H)igh Gain that drops to 40. I don’t even bother with (F) for the Elear - or the Atticus or LCD-3 for that matter.

I believe even the amp have the reserve power left does not mean you not use it to it full potential.

The potential of amp come from sound quality it produce.

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #332 of 1,593
Hmmm, I just don't know what to do. Some serious umm-ing and ah-ing has led me to recently changing my headphones back to the HD800 (stock), and these are being paired with the NFB-11.28 - which itself is only now around a month old. I bought the NFB first, and if I'd known I was going to get the HD800, I'd probably have bought the R2R-11.

Now we have the R-28, and I'm wondering from you guys that own them (and have hopefully heard the cheaper, Sabre-implementing Audio GD gear), is it worth me just biting the bullet and getting the R-28 / moving my 11.28 on??

Cheers!

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #333 of 1,593
Woah... When using my clears out of the balanced out I generally have the volume at around 12 on low gain with the nfb-1. Around 30 single ended for the 6xx mind you.
That’s what I call ultra low volume listening :p

I don’t think I’d hear much at 12, even with the Elear. I have some hearing loss but not that much. Even my loudness-averse brother listens to his Auteur, nevermind easy-to-drive Elear, at a ‘comfortable for him’ 30 on the R-28. I haven’t heard the 6XX on the R-28, but given my past experience with them I can easily imagine driving them at around 60 on high gain (still less than 10% power mind you) on the R-28.

By the by a friend and I did some volume-matched testing between his NFB-1 and my R-28 last weekend and I can tell you they’re essentially identical. We did some A/B switching with three different headphones and power output between the two was indistinguishable. So it’s definitely not a case of the NFB-1 having more power than the R-28, in case anyone was wondering.

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #335 of 1,593
Hmmm, I just don't know what to do. Some serious umm-ing and ah-ing has led me to recently changing my headphones back to the HD800 (stock), and these are being paired with the NFB-11.28 - which itself is only now around a month old. I bought the NFB first, and if I'd known I was going to get the HD800, I'd probably have bought the R2R-11.

Now we have the R-28, and I'm wondering from you guys that own them (and have hopefully heard the cheaper, Sabre-implementing Audio GD gear), is it worth me just biting the bullet and getting the R-28 / moving my 11.28 on??

Cheers!
What is it about the NFB-11.28 and HD800 combo you don’t like that you believe the R2R-11 or R-28 will ‘fix’?

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #337 of 1,593

Cheers!

I heard that HD800 pair well with Burson sololist amp
HD800 is picky and I would follow the system anybody had use in Head Fi forum before.

For R28 I ask Kingwa what headphone I should use with it he said HD800.
But anyway I don't have HD800 anymore. So sad

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #338 of 1,593
Yes it sound good but I not sure that it come from Dac part or Amp part.
Given that the amp is extremely transparent and powerful, and it’s passing on the signal from the dac, I’d say it’s a combination of both. That after all is the point of an all-in-one like the R-28. If it sounds equivalent to the NFB-1/R2R-1stack - which I firmly believe it does - and costs about $400 less, it’s an exceptional package, considering how good that stack sounds.

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #339 of 1,593
What is it about the NFB-11.28 and HD800 combo you don’t like that you believe the R2R-11 or R-28 will ‘fix’?

A very good question - thank you! I should have really mentioned that. So, I've previously owned the Master 11, and whilst my memories at this point are not perfect in describing its sound, I enjoyed the full sound that it provided with a wide range of headphones, and I also had the R2R-15 briefly as well, and I liked again its weighty and substantial presentation.

I appreciate that these characteristics themselves are not particularly (if at all!) inherent in the HD800, and I do like the incisive sound that I get from my current setup, but I feel there's a more pronounced level of grain at the top end that I'd more than likely get from the R-28 (from guesswork!), as well as playing to the HD800 strengths of imaging and separation.

My experience with these other Audio GD products makes me think that I'd be likely to pick the R-28 if I was starting again from scratch. The only thing holding me back is that I've literally JUST bought these two products, and I'll inevitably have to take the hit on the 11.28 to fund the R-28.

I'd do it if I thought that my previous experiences would hold up with the the R-28 and that I, too, could go 'end game' with this setup.

Thanks again!

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #340 of 1,593
That’s what I call ultra low volume listening :p

I don’t think I’d hear much at 12, even with the Elear. I have some hearing loss but not that much. Even my loudness-averse brother listens to his Auteur, nevermind easy-to-drive Elear, at a ‘comfortable for him’ 30 on the R-28. I haven’t heard the 6XX on the R-28, but given my past experience with them I can easily imagine driving them at around 60 on high gain (still less than 10% power mind you) on the R-28.

By the by a friend and I did some volume-matched testing between his NFB-1 and my R-28 last weekend and I can tell you they’re essentially identical. We did some A/B switching with three different headphones and power output between the two was indistinguishable. So it’s definitely not a case of the NFB-1 having more power than the R-28, in case anyone was wondering.

Did you use R28 as a dac and pass to NFB 1 and compare with the R-28 it self

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #342 of 1,593
A very good question - thank you! I should have really mentioned that. So, I've previously owned the Master 11, and whilst my memories at this point are not perfect in describing its sound, I enjoyed the full sound that it provided with a wide range of headphones, and I also had the R2R-15 briefly as well, and I liked again its weighty and substantial presentation.

I appreciate that these characteristics themselves are not particularly (if at all!) inherent in the HD800, and I do like the incisive sound that I get from my current setup, but I feel there's a more pronounced level of grain at the top end that I'd more than likely get from the R-28 (from guesswork!), as well as playing to the HD800 strengths of imaging and separation.

My experience with these other Audio GD products makes me think that I'd be likely to pick the R-28 if I was starting again from scratch. The only thing holding me back is that I've literally JUST bought these two products, and I'll inevitably have to take the hit on the 11.28 to fund the R-28.

I'd do it if I thought that my previous experiences would hold up with the the R-28 and that I, too, could go 'end game' with this setup.

Thanks again!
I still can’t say for sure the R-28 will be an improvement for what you’re specifically wanting, but I can tell you from my experience with the 11.28 (actually 11.32, close enough) and my own R2R-11, the R-28 is a significant step up form both. @xenithon in a post a few pages back covers the benefits he’s hearing in the R-28 having upgraded from an R2R-11 as well, so that’s worth a read.

As for taking a ‘hit’, and without making any assumptions, if you can afford the jump up to the R-28 financially speaking, the small hit you might take on the $350 NFB-11 shouldn’t be a train smash, and in fact you will probably take a very minimal hit - if any - given the quality of the 11.28.

Good luck with your decision either way. It’s all quality gear you have there!

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #343 of 1,593
Among others tests, yes, that’s exactly what we did. Both balanced and SE.

Ok then it good to know. thanks.
for it price it a very goods system.
And we can change the sound signature too.
Which I will try later.
What is burn in time for R28 did I have to pass 500 hour or so?

I think I just pass my 100 hour

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #344 of 1,593

Thanks again!

One of the headphones in my trifecta is the HD800. Sometimes thought of selling it but always came back to just how brilliant it does so many things.

I can tell you, as a treble sensitive listener (with tinnitus) the HD800 is sublime on the R-28. I do use Sonar Works, though have with all DAc/amps I have used.

What I enjoy most is the synergy which provides the speed, clarity and transparency the HD800 is known for while still having sufficient weight, bass punch and composure up top to not fatigue my ears.

I haven’t heard the x.28 but had the R2R-11 and it also had great control though felt it slowed down the 800 a little too much. One of the benefits of the R-28 is the adjustable OS/NOS modes so it can be tweaked to find the right setting for your preferences.

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #345 of 1,593
I still can’t say for sure the R-28 will be an improvement for what you’re specifically wanting, but I can tell you from my experience with the 11.28 (actually 11.32, close enough) and my own R2R-11, the R-28 is a significant step up form both. @xenithon in a post a few pages back covers the benefits he’s hearing in the R-28 having upgraded from an R2R-11 as well, so that’s worth a read.

As for taking a ‘hit’, and without making any assumptions, if you can afford the jump up to the R-28 financially speaking, the small hit you might take on the $350 NFB-11 shouldn’t be a train smash, and in fact you will probably take a very minimal hit - if any - given the quality of the 11.28.

Good luck with your decision either way. It’s all quality gear you have there!

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated. I'll have a think and hopefully join the club soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back