Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jun 15, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #17 of 1,649
Dang.. I _did_ just buy them. This R2R-28 looks really pretty, but I suppose I'll just have to live with the separates.
Don’t feel bad. I just like the idea of a compact all in one, and the R-28 doesn’t seem to make any compromises either. But the separates stack is going to be awesome, and you get more flexibility with it as well.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #18 of 1,649
Subscribed.

This is a bit weird while few month ago Kingwa said there were no plans to release a combo unit with R2R Modules...

(Ordered my NFB-11.38 Ltd Edition, by the way)
I knew he would because the demand would become too strong. But it sure was a design challenge to do the layout. It's a complex device thst looks clean.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #19 of 1,649
Given that it has analog inputs, shouldn't this be in the Headphone amps forum?

It looks like being about a transformer less than the R2R 1 and NFB-1AMP combined.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #20 of 1,649

It looks like being about a transformer less than the R2R 1 and NFB-1AMP combined.
Hi @Currawong. You’re probably right, although arguably the balanced ladder dac is just as much the star of the show. That said, happy for mods to move it - I’m not sure how?

By the by, what do you make of it? Looks every bit as good, on paper, as the stack you describe above, with the added benefit of true gain mode, and the super SE output is very interesting indeed.

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #21 of 1,649
I think the full-power SE output is a key feature for sure. The other is the price point. In the past, the mid-range DAC/amps from Audio-gd were pretty good-performing, so it remains to be seen if this one can do as well at a higher price point.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #22 of 1,649
this amplifier is really interesting. i had r2r-15 that was a really best buy for the price

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #23 of 1,649

i hope that thevchanges to the sound signature of the amp section arevbeyond just putting the two togwther. the dac sectionvisvperfect so yes i =m glad thatvit is full in r2r1 in there

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #24 of 1,649
i hope that thevchanges to the sound signature of the amp section arevbeyond just putting the two togwther. the dac sectionvisvperfect so yes i =m glad thatvit is full in r2r1 in there
Hi, do you find anything lacking in the NFB-1 that you want more?

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #25 of 1,649
nothing lacking. it is a tremendous bargain for the features and functionality. its a beauty. the sound signature was not to my liking. i prefered the listen to most of my cans through r2r11 rather than nfb1 but i tend to prefer overly warm sound signatures. what people call neutral i call soul crushing harsh. so its just me.

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #26 of 1,649
I also tend to prefer warm over neutral, provided it doesn’t sacrifice too much transparency and detail.

Having said that, the 28 is quite adjustable through the jumpers including full NOS mode (though that speaks to the dac section, the warmth should translate through the amp section).

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #28 of 1,649
Subbed! Was hoping a combo unit was in the works after seeing the balanced and SE single components developed! Love my little R2R 11. Can only assume what the biggest brother is capable of! Must resist the urge to purchase... must resist!

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #29 of 1,649
It looks like it has room to fit in two transformers. I prefer two transformers if Kingwa can provide the options.
Probably the transformer is different compared to the transformer in the dac or amp. In the picture of the interior you have a lot of psu :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back