Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Aug 10, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #496 of 1,678
My R28 came in today!
Out of the box it sounds very nice already with my Auteurs! Very smooth highs with good impact. Absolutely does not disappoint. Using the V2 Smooth firmware on OS8X, it's a good contrast to my Jotunheim.
Its bigger than it looks and I found I didn't have the table space for it.. it will languish on my mobile drawer unit till I can clean off more desktop space.
It even came with a free usb blaster for future firmware updating. Will burn in and see what changes occur. :L3000:

9938334_l.jpg
was interesting a comparison with your schiit giants(rag and yggi)

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #497 of 1,678
The big DACs like the Yggy A2 and Hugo 2 are more spacious and detailed, and the R28 somewhat warmer and flatter-sounding with less detail in comparison.

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #499 of 1,678
Even with the new firmware?

Even using Audirvana Plus or Roon up-sampling. The firmware choices range between wider, but shallower soundstage, or deeper but narrower.

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #500 of 1,678
The big DACs like the Yggy A2 and Hugo 2 are more spacious and detailed, and the R28 somewhat warmer and flatter-sounding with less detail in comparison.
Do you think r-28's dac section (=Audio-Gd R2R 1) is good enough or overkill for it's amp ( =Audio-Gd NFB1-AMP)section?

Do you think Chord's Qutest DAC is better sounding than R-28's dac (=Audio-Gd R2R 1) & is Chord Qutest is an overkill for an amp like Audio-Gd NFB1-AMP?

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #501 of 1,678
Even using Audirvana Plus or Roon up-sampling. The firmware choices range between wider, but shallower soundstage, or deeper but narrower.

For 3x the money (compared to the r2r 1), it's to be expected. Would be a different story against the r2r 7 with the new firmwares . I feel the r2r 7 has gone in the right direction. It is an improved dac. Imaging has width and depth using the accurate fw, and lots of details. The sound is now laid back, which i prefer with speakers.

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #502 of 1,678
Plugged my HD599 into my R28 and it makes it sound like a $300+ headphone. Very impressive. Leagues above my Fulla 2, even with just an HD599. Dem mids and bass...mmm.

Aug 12, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #503 of 1,678
Plugged my HD599 into my R28 and it makes it sound like a $300+ headphone. Very impressive. Leagues above my Fulla 2, even with just an HD599. Dem mids and bass...mmm.

Interesting! I plugged in my Senn HD58X Jubilee and it's got great synergy as well! They've been sitting around as I thought it was just ok with my Schiit stuff, but they sound really good with the R28!

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #504 of 1,678
Do you think r-28's dac section (=Audio-Gd R2R 1) is good enough or overkill for it's amp ( =Audio-Gd NFB1-AMP)section?

I felt I could get a bit better clarity using the R28 as a DAC for the Master 9 the last time I tried.

Do you think Chord's Qutest DAC is better sounding than R-28's dac (=Audio-Gd R2R 1) & is Chord Qutest is an overkill for an amp like Audio-Gd NFB1-AMP?

I have the Hugo 2 here, which the Qutest is essentially the same as (apart from the USB input and headphone output). If you're thinking "Should I get a Qutest and NFB-1AMP?" then my answer is: Buy a Hugo 2 and a Schiit Wyrd.

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #505 of 1,678
Unfortunately despite the clearly problematic transformer, Audio-gd are unwilling to assist with shipping a new transformer or other easier repair route - so will have to ship the entire unit back

I believe those are the terms of the very generous 10year warranty. Those terms are also one of the reasons GD products are priced as competitively as they are ... Bidirectional shipping is not priced in. If I were the OEM I would ensure any repair work is done under controlled conditions if I am to stand by the product for the remainder of the warrantee period. Bitter as it may feel think of the shipping charges as an insurance co-payment, get it done and get back to enjoying the music.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #506 of 1,678
Agree to an extent. There are some complexities such as the local agent with authorized tech centre offering to help but AGD refusing to allow them to. But alas, what’s done is done and the box is on its way to China.

The unfortunate thing would be if they state nothing is wrong and exercise their right to refund policy which would leave me about $500 out of pocket and with no system.

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #507 of 1,678
I feel the sound quality of the R28 jumps up with a better amp (I tested with the Master 9) so if you wanted an R1 but also an amp to use in the mean time until you got another, that'd work.

I should really compare the R28 with the Mojo. There were a few comments that the Gumby was at about the same level as it, DAC-wise, though that was a while ago and there have been changes since, mainly with the USB.
@Currawong do you mean to say that the R28 performs the same as the Mojo at half the price?

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #509 of 1,678
Subscribed.

Replacing my R2R-11 for these AIO... balanced out is perfect for my upcoming dynaudio lyd 7 monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back