Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Aug 2, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #481 of 1,722
I confirmed with Kingwa before my shipment that my R-28 has the NEW firmware. I have found NOS mode 3 to be the most enjoyable.

As I said, I am using JRiver for the first time and its output does not sound very good and seems to be at a higher gain than when I play from Tidal. I am not familiar with it so I may have some settings wrong. I would say that JRiver sounds worse than TIdal for some reason.... I need to experiment more tomorrow.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #482 of 1,722
I confirmed with Kingwa before my shipment that my R-28 has the NEW firmware. I have found NOS mode 3 to be the most enjoyable.

As I said, I am using JRiver for the first time and its output does not sound very good and seems to be at a higher gain than when I play from Tidal. I am not familiar with it so I may have some settings wrong. I would say that JRiver sounds worse than TIdal for some reason.... I need to experiment more tomorrow.
If you’re using Windows 10, you should give the new Audirvana+ for Windows a try. Looks very slick. If it’s anything like the Mac version, it will be superb.

Also did Kingwa say if he installed the ‘smooth’ or ‘accurate’ version of the new firmware. Apparently there are TWO versions, just to keep things suitably confusing.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #483 of 1,722
My work PC is only Windows 7. I'm due for an upgrade next year so I will look into Audirvana+ whenever I get a new PC. I've been a Foobar user for years, but I have finally decided I'm willing to pay for something with a bit more flair. So far I'm very underwhelmed with JRiver. I hope Audirvana can deliver something useful.

I was told by default the firmware is the smooth version and that is what mine shipped with. I thought the new firmware was an improved version of the default. I honestly have no idea now and I am very confused. I think I'd much prefer an "accurate" version.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #484 of 1,722
I’ve ordered an R28 for use at my lake cabin. Hopefully it should arrive next week! :smile_phones:
It will come with the new smooth version of the firmware.
For those who have the R28 already, what do you perceive are the differences between the four NOS modes?

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #485 of 1,722
With regards NOS 3 jumper settings, Kingwa confirmed by email that the following combinations are indeed NOS 3 (identical setting):

S1 ‘on’, S4 ‘off’, S5 ‘off’

AND

S1 ‘on’, S4 ‘on’, S5 ‘off'

So @Greg121986 your ears deceive you (or more likely you’re experincing the R-28 at different stages of burn-in). Mine is well part the 500-hour mark now.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #487 of 1,722
Hi, I'm interested in R-28 for these months. My concern is that I didn't like R2R-11 I had. I felt it was muddy and lacked details overall.
I'm sure R-28 is better at both AMP section and DAC section than R2R-11, however, do you guys think Sabre product like NFB-28 is a safe choice for me?

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #488 of 1,722
Hope you find a solution soon

Thank you. I have tried the amp at various houses to eliminate things like DC offset or voltage dips / sags / spikes.

Unfortunately despite the clearly problematic transformer, Audio-gd are unwilling to assist with shipping a new transformer or other easier repair route - so will have to ship the entire unit back (costs about $300 to ship from me to China). I had hoped they would come to the party to try find a better solution but that is not the case.

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #489 of 1,722
Thank you. I have tried the amp at various houses to eliminate things like DC offset or voltage dips / sags / spikes.

Unfortunately despite the clearly problematic transformer, Audio-gd are unwilling to assist with shipping a new transformer or other easier repair route - so will have to ship the entire unit back (costs about $300 to ship from me to China). I had hoped they would come to the party to try find a better solution but that is not the case.

It very sorry to hear that why cost so high.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #490 of 1,722

They will refund at least a part of the shipping. Maybe more given how early the problem showed up. Airmail to China is so expensive, last time i shipped something there, i used the slowest way, and the cost was still about 45CAD for a 2 pound 10"x3"x6" box.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #491 of 1,722
Shipping is very expensive to anywhere from where I am; China in particular. The problem is also due to the volumetric weight as the box is really big.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #492 of 1,722
Will Audio GD be at the Audio Show in Hong Kong this weekend?

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #493 of 1,722
Quick Impressions after a few hours:

-8XOS default mode is amazing. Crystal clear detail with none of the digital glare of DS.

-NOS settings sounds 85-90% like the R2R-11. Has a bit more clarity up top, but it's not worth 4x the price. If you've got an R2R-11 and are in love with its super smooth musical sound, save your cash. It's a god damn bargain of the ages.

-If the R2R-11 was too smooth and "muddy" for you but you don't like the DS glare, the default settings of the R28 are amazing. It's crazy clear yet still organic.

- I can't believe how much diminishing returns audio dac/amps are. The R2R-11 does 80% of the job of this (also in NOS mode) for 1/4 the price. My wallet hurts, but I don't regret my purchase. These take my Auteurs to the next level.

- Seriously, if you buy this just to put it in NOS mode....just stick to the R2R-11 and save yourself the money. 8XOS is insanely clear, smooth, and organic. The NOS mode can't compete and if I listen to my R28 in NOS mode I feel like I wasted my money when my R2R-11 basically does it all almost as well

-8XOS makes me not want to sell/return this.

-**** THIS THING IS HUGE What IT DIDNT LOOK THAT BIG IN THE PICTURES AHHHH (I almost considered selling it because of this)

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #494 of 1,722
Almost 200 hours on my R-28 now and I'm certain burn in is having a drastic effect. I have never heard such a distinct alteration in sound due to burn in before. It's much improved due to burn in. I have not shut it off for about 6 days now. I am still running NOS mode 3, but I will try OS mode again since burn in seems to be taking its course.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #495 of 1,722
My R28 came in today!
Out of the box it sounds very nice already with my Auteurs! Very smooth highs with good impact. Absolutely does not disappoint. Using the V2 Smooth firmware on OS8X, it's a good contrast to my Jotunheim.
Its bigger than it looks and I found I didn't have the table space for it.. it will languish on my mobile drawer unit till I can clean off more desktop space.
It even came with a free usb blaster for future firmware updating. Will burn in and see what changes occur. :L3000:

9938334_l.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back