Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 31, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #454 of 1,775
No, I’m still waiting for the USB blaster Kingwa sent me. Could take a few more weeks to arrive. Not in a rush.

Noted. I not in rush too.
Will wait and see. It already sound great so I don't have problem now

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #455 of 1,775
Noted. I not in rush too.
Will wait and see. It already sound great so I don't have problem now
The only ‘issue’ I have so far is NOS mode 3, which seems to bump up the gain and clip the sound on at least one of my headphones, but only in high gain. The other NOS modes and OS modes are all fine. If you get a chance, maybe try switch your R-28 to NOS 3 and high gain and see if it distorts the sound of your headphones. Hopefully it’s just a firmware bug that will be fixed with the new firmware.

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #456 of 1,775
The only ‘issue’ I have so far is NOS mode 3, which seems to bump up the gain and clip the sound on at least one of my headphones, but only in high gain. The other NOS modes and OS modes are all fine. If you get a chance, maybe try switch your R-28 to NOS 3 and high gain and see if it distorts the sound of your headphones. Hopefully it’s just a firmware bug that will be fixed with the new firmware.

Yes I will. mostly I use my headphone to play game which Nos mode might not suite it due to warmer sound.

Brighter sound is good for gaming though.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #457 of 1,775
Hi guys,

Has anyone tried out the different NOS modes on the R-28 yet? (Or R2R-1 if you have it, as it’s the same)

Which one would you say sounds closest to the R2R-11, if you’ve heard it? And how does mode 1 and 2 differ?

I’m having an issue with NOS 3 and high gain - louder sounds are clipped and distorted, and on volume 40, which is relatively low. Other NOS modes are fine in high gain. Hopefully the firmware update will fix that.

Thx in advance for your feedback.

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #458 of 1,775
I just got my R-28 on Monday so it has the latest firmware (I confirmed by email). I am trying NOS mode 3 but I cannot go beyond 30 on high gain because it's way too loud on my Focal Clear. Are you sure you are not reaching distortion point from your headphones, and not the result of the amp distorting?

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #459 of 1,775
I've run into a snag with the R-28 and wondering if any other owners of the R-28, other Audio-gd gear, or I suppose any other similar component could help shed some light.

The unit was totally silent from the moment I started using it. But then last night when I switched it on, it emitted a hum. It is coming from the actual unit / chassis itself (does not come through headphones like a ground loop). I am concerned about damage or that something has gone wrong. From trying to research, the nearest thing I could come across is DC offset. The strange part is that it was 100% before and suddenly now started to hum. No change was made to the system, cables, plugs, etc.

Adding more detail:
  • When I switch it on and it flashes “R2R-28” it is silent, but as soon as the boot-up is done and it shows the input and volume (e.g., HH220) the hum can be heard
  • I tried a different cable and different plug point in the house but it did not help
  • I tried cycling through different inputs, modes, and gain settings but the hum persists
  • The loudness of the hum changes with volume changes in a strange way. It seems to change in “cycles” of 3 volume unit changes. For example 9 is a low hum, 10 a louder hum, 11 a very quiet hum. Then the cycle starts again - 12 a low hum, 13 a louder hum, 14 a very quiet hum. Etc.
Is there anything else I can check to troubleshoot? And if it is DC offset, could it possibly have just started now or might it point to a component failing of being damaged?

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #460 of 1,775
I just got my R-28 on Monday so it has the latest firmware (I confirmed by email). I am trying NOS mode 3 but I cannot go beyond 30 on high gain because it's way too loud on my Focal Clear. Are you sure you are not reaching distortion point from your headphones, and not the result of the amp distorting?
Quite sure. Try switch to any other NOS mode (and also OS mode) and play the same track/s at 30 on high gain with the Clear. Let me know if it's the same, or if only NOS 3 clips...

I normally listen on Vol 30-40 HG with the Elear without any issues. On very high DR albums I even turn it a bit louder sometimes. Remember 30 or 40 on the volume dial is about 2-3% power. You're only at 10% at 70, and then it ramps up quickly from there.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #461 of 1,775
I've experienced no clipping at all but I use mostly low gain. High gain is just way too loud. Most of my listening is low gain mode at 30-35. I've tried OS 8x, NOS mode 1, 2, and 3. I just tried NOS mode 3 with high gain, but again I could not bare to go above 30 on the volume. No clipping, just way too loud.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #462 of 1,775
I've experienced no clipping at all but I use mostly low gain. High gain is just way too loud. Most of my listening is low gain mode at 30-35. I've tried OS 8x, NOS mode 1, 2, and 3. I just tried NOS mode 3 with high gain, but again I could not bare to go above 30 on the volume. No clipping, just way too loud.
I do tend to listen at what I consider moderate volume, which to others might be a little loud. But definitely not unbearable at 30 HG. Heck on the LCD-3 I often go to 50 quite comfortably. Again, this is very low power compared to what the amp is actually capable of. Also I think the Clear is much more sensitive than the Elear, in order to play nice with portable sources. The Elear is more sensitive than the LCD, but still needs a decent amp to sound 'right'.

All that aside, if you have Tidal or Apple Music, please try the track 'Albatross' by Alela Diane, put it in NOS 3 and volume 40 on HG, and tell me if there's any audible clipping when she starts her vocals (which can be quite loud). Even move the cups a bit away from your ears, more a test for clipping that actual SQ. If it clips, try the same on OS 8x. On my unit, OS 8x is smooth (moderate to loud but smooth), and on NOS 3, starts off ok but clips like crazy when the vocals start. And not only on the Elear, also the LCD, so it's not an Elear issue.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #463 of 1,775
I've run into a snag with the R-28 and wondering if any other owners of the R-28, other Audio-gd gear, or I suppose any other similar component could help shed some light.

The unit was totally silent from the moment I started using it. But then last night when I switched it on, it emitted a hum. It is coming from the actual unit / chassis itself (does not come through headphones like a ground loop). I am concerned about damage or that something has gone wrong. From trying to research, the nearest thing I could come across is DC offset. The strange part is that it was 100% before and suddenly now started to hum. No change was made to the system, cables, plugs, etc.

Adding more detail:
  • When I switch it on and it flashes “R2R-28” it is silent, but as soon as the boot-up is done and it shows the input and volume (e.g., HH220) the hum can be heard
  • I tried a different cable and different plug point in the house but it did not help
  • I tried cycling through different inputs, modes, and gain settings but the hum persists
  • The loudness of the hum changes with volume changes in a strange way. It seems to change in “cycles” of 3 volume unit changes. For example 9 is a low hum, 10 a louder hum, 11 a very quiet hum. Then the cycle starts again - 12 a low hum, 13 a louder hum, 14 a very quiet hum. Etc.
Is there anything else I can check to troubleshoot? And if it is DC offset, could it possibly have just started now or might it point to a component failing of being damaged?
Look forward to answers on this as well. Been sitting vigil with @xenithon on this for the past day. Hope it's just a DC offset and not a part failure, even though it's under warranty in the free shipping period, of course.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #464 of 1,775
Managed to capture on video. While the top was off I tried various jumper settings (LED dim, NOS, PLL) to no avail. Also can clearly hear the hum coming from the transformer.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #465 of 1,775
track 'Albatross' by Alela Diane, put it in NOS 3 and volume 40 on HG, and tell me if there's any audible clipping when she starts her vocals (which can be quite loud).

No problem for me. It was not as loud as I expected it to be, but no distortion that I could hear. I think my FLAC sources from local disk storage were a bit louder than Tidal for some reason. I am trying JRiver for the first time instead of Foobar, so that might have something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back