Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 23, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #376 of 1,678
One minor correction here: The gain for the NFB-1 can be customized while ordering. I believe the options available were 0, +3, +9 and +16dB. Don't quote me there, but the info is on the product page. I went with +3 I believe and have had zero trouble driving my 560's and barely use the volume at all (12 in low gain mode) to drive my Clear's.
I think you're right. I'm sure the R-28 can be likewise customised but didn't even think to ask. I'm running my Elear in high gain (+17dB) on 40 and it's very comfortable moderate volume with acoustic guitar currently playing, so either I'm deaf or you have supersonic hearing!

:astonished:

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #378 of 1,678
What is the audible difference between OS and NOS mode?
I've only started experimenting with this. Most (more experienced) users suggest NOS mode would be closer to the 'warm, organic' sound of the R2R-11, while OS tends to be more neutral and resolving. I've currently got mine set to OS 8x and find it both musical and resolving, certainly more detail and finesse than the R2R-11, although I'm not sure if that's a factor of OS or the better components inside the R-28. Probably a bit of both. When I switched to NOS I did hear a few very soft pops on occasion (when starting a track or switching sample rates), and any 'hiss' in a recording was also more pronounced. I guess OS cleans these sorts of 'artefacts' up at the cost of slightly more clinical sound.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #379 of 1,678
With NOS mode you'll lose detail and soundstage, but the music sounds softer, as you remove the ability of the DAC to reproduce the start of transients fully, which for some people is more pleasant.

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #382 of 1,678
Thanks. Does anyone know if the volume knob is silent like the R2R-11 or is it clicky/audible?
It’s audible but I prefer it that way. Far more accurate, can make minor tweaks, can always get back to a specific volume, can accurately compare levels between headphones and outputs, and zero channel imbalance. I don’t hear the clicks while changing volume during playback, but I like the tactile feedback.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #383 of 1,678
I just found out about the R-28. This looks like a real gem. I've been reading all over the web and there are so many varying opinions about Audio GD gear. From, it's the worst ever to it's the best ever. What's everyone's opinion on it here?

I am very interested in trying the R-28 but don't want to lay out $1.2k and not be happy. I hate blind buying, I've been burned to many times.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #384 of 1,678
I just found out about the R-28. This looks like a real gem. I've been reading all over the web and there are so many varying opinions about Audio GD gear. From, it's the worst ever to is the best ever. What's everyone's opinion on it here?
In my experience, for the price, there is very little to rival the R-28. Even for more money you’re normally only buying an equivalent amp, not an all-in-one. Form, features and functionality all superb. As always it depends what you’re after, what you’re listening with etc.

For me it’s an endgame amp/dac. For some it could be overkill, for others entry level. YMMV...

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #385 of 1,678
In my experience, for the price, there is very little to rival the R-28. Even for more money you’re normally only buying an equivalent amp, not an all-in-one. Form, features and functionality all superb. As always it depends what you’re after, what you’re listening with etc.

For me it’s an endgame amp/dac. For some it could be overkill, for others entry level. YMMV...
Thanks for your input.

I'm currently using a Violectric V281 w/ various DS DACs. Headphones include LCD-3s, HD-6XX, Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, and Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open. How would the R-28 pair with these? I listen to jazz, pop, female vocals, rock, and I game. So just about everything. I also like a lot of detail.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #386 of 1,678
Hi. According to Kingwa they’re identical. I was going to buy the ‘stack’ until the R-28 was announced. Haven’t tried the R2R-1 myself but conducted an A/B test of the R-28 and the NFB-1 and they were virtually 1:1.

The NFB-1 has a slight advantage of more inputs/outputs if you need them, while the R-28 has the advantage of true low/high-gain (+7db and +17db) while the NFB-1 only has one (high) gain (+16dB) with ‘high-gain’ mode reducing the number of volume steps from 99 to 64 (although actual ‘gain’ is unchanged).

The R2R-1 has the advantage of being able to change OS/NOS modes from the front panel, but is otherwise identical to the R-28 dac section.

Bottom line: they’re essentially the same but the R-28 will cost you quite a bit less and also take up less space.

Thank you for the detail insight. I bought the NFB-1AMP about a year ago & got myself the R2R-1 just recently. R-28 was released after a week I received the R2R-1. I feel bad at first, knowing that it's cheaper, newer and could be better than the stack.

Well there are still pros & cons on both. Guess I can live with it :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #387 of 1,678
Thanks for your input.

I'm currently using a Violectric V281 w/ various DS DACs. Headphones include LCD-3s, HD-6XX, Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, and Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open. How would the R-28 pair with these? I listen to jazz, pop, female vocals, rock, and I game. So just about everything. I also like a lot of detail.
You’ve already got a stellar amp in the V281, so the R-28 is not going to do anything for you amp-wise. As for dacs, some prefer the more clinical DS sound while others like myself prefer the more organic R2R ladder sound. If you’re only interested in the dac part of the R-28, consider getting an Audio-gd R2R-1, which is the same dac that’s in the R-28. As for synergy, my R-28 is superb with the LCD-3 and Elear, so I have no doubt it would be an excellent match for your other headphones as well. You’d have to ask others or try it for yourself to be sure - trust none but your own ears! :wink:

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #388 of 1,678
Thank you for the detail insight. I bought the NFB-1AMP about a year ago & got myself the R2R-1 just recently. R-28 was released after a week I received the R2R-1. I feel bad at first, knowing that it's cheaper, newer and could be better than the stack.

Well there are still pros & cons on both. Guess I can live with it :)
I wouldn’t worry. The ‘stack’ has some advantages too, like separate discrete power supplies for the amp and dac, more inputs and outputs, and NOS/OS front panel controls. The sound will be virtually identical, so you’re not missing out on anything.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #389 of 1,678
You’ve already got a stellar amp in the V281, so the R-28 is not going to do anything for you amp-wise. As for dacs, some prefer the more clinical DS sound while others like myself prefer the more organic R2R ladder sound. If you’re only interested in the dac part of the R-28, consider getting an Audio-gd R2R-1, which is the same dac that’s in the R-28. As for synergy, my R-28 is superb with the LCD-3 and Elear, so I have no doubt it would be an excellent match for your other headphones as well. You’d have to ask others or try it for yourself to be sure - trust none but your own ears! :wink:
I'm interested in both the amp section and the DAC. I'm one of those that like to experiment and try everything. :D So what does the R-28 do better than other amps / dacs that you've owned.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #390 of 1,678
@gLer makes a good point. I do like being able to switch between 8x OS for hip-hop, modern pop and EDM, and NOS for just about everything else on the R2R-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back