Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Oct 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #2,866 of 3,352
Once it´s been on for an hour, beautiful... Only listened to an hour or so, because I tried swapping cables (XLR vs. ACSS, not sure which one I prefer so far). By far the best Depeche Mode I´ve ever heard :) Very smooth, wide 3d soundstage (my favourite!) and lots of air. Sounds neutral, I was expecting it to be more colored due to some comments. It doesn´t sound that far off from my Genelec monitors.

Oh and I´m only using it SE so far, my balanced cables aren´t here yet. Very happy. Next step is the CD7-FV, then my dream Audio-gd rig is complete
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #2,867 of 3,352

Quote:
Once it´s been on for an hour, beautiful... Only listened to an hour or so, because I tried swapping cables (XLR vs. ACSS, not sure which one I prefer so far). By far the best Depeche Mode I´ve ever heard :) Very smooth, wide 3d soundstage (my favourite!) and lots of air. Sounds neutral, I was expecting it to be more colored due to some comments. It doesn´t sound that far off from my Genelec monitors.

Oh and I´m only using it SE so far, my balanced cables aren´t here yet. Very happy. Next step is the CD7-FV, then my dream Audio-gd rig is complete
smily_headphones1.gif

well isn't that a tease! At least it sounds great in SE too!

I am very interested in your impressions as I plan to buy one in the new few days
wink.gif

Which headphones are you planning on running with it?

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #2,868 of 3,352
I´m running HD 800, currently with the stock SE cable, but soon with a Zeus Quad22 balanced 4-pin XLR. Will also be using it as a preamplifier for my two small Genelec speakers which is a major reason I decided to go for the Phoenix as I needed both a headphone amp and a good preamp. Fantastic value!

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #2,871 of 3,352

Quote:
I´m running HD 800, currently with the stock SE cable, but soon with a Zeus Quad22 balanced 4-pin XLR. Will also be using it as a preamplifier for my two small Genelec speakers which is a major reason I decided to go for the Phoenix as I needed both a headphone amp and a good preamp. Fantastic value!

My previous post was a bit cryptic, sorry.
I meant to ask what equipment you use as a source for the Phoenix (DAC, CD player)?

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #2,873 of 3,352
First impressions on the hardware after two nights of testing... As for the sound, I will mostly cover it under the REF7 thread. Phoenix is a "wire with gain" amplifier, so it doesn´t really have any particular characteristics except for the famous smoothness.

Positive:

- Heavy, strong build. It is very large, as big as the REF7/1 if the two elements are placed next to eachother. Definately not something I would have on my desk near the PC, unless I had plenty of room (can be a minus for some). All in all, it is very serious amplifier, it is instantly clear that this is no random amp.

- The blue LED lights really suit the look, and look fantastic.

- 70 or 100 steps of volume means no gain switch is required. Especially as it is controlled via ACSS/stepped resistors. Low level detail is better than anything I have ever heard. There is no need to listen loudly in order to get a 3d sound. Every time it clicks you are reminded of how awesome it is.

- Smooth. This cannot be oversaid. There is nothing, nothing in the sound that makes you tired. But it is also not warm like the Violectric V200 I had. It doesn´t make all the music sound the same. I would call the sound signature "relaxed high definition". Depends a lot on the record though, aggressive records still sound aggressive. I would NOT compare the smoothness to the one in the Violectric I previously had. This is closer to my Genelec studio monitors - but without the harshness and "take no prisoners" sound signature. I wish Kingwa would use the word "natural" as the description instead of neutral. I have no idea how it measures, but it sounds like nature itself. 

- Two chassis design allows plenty of options how to place the two.

- The all-aluminum remote control is really classy, a lot nicer than I expected from the pictures.

- The buttons are also aluminum, and have a classy feel to them. 

- Fantastic service from Kingwa, and it arrived in perfect condition.

- As seen in the previous picture, my cat is also fond of this amplifier.

- Doubles as a preamplifier, haven´t tried it that way yet though.

- For night listening, there is a display button on the back.

Negative:

- The data cable is a modified serial cable with a small SPC wire around it, it looks quite cheap. I hope they´d build something that doesn´t look as "DIY".

- Requires an hour or so warm up until it starts sounding good. But at this price, I don´t mind.

- Overall the chassis etc has a DIY feel, but actually it is a DIY product in a way. Personally I actually like the look (you pay for the components and performance, not a fancy chassis). It doesn´t look bad, it just doesn´t draw attention to itself like some high end western hifi products (that also cost A LOT more).

Neutral: 

- It gets quite warm, but I know it would and it doesn´t bother me personally. Some, cats for example, find it pleasant actually.

All in all, very satisfied. I had high expectations, and it has matched them.  

Disclaimer: as for the audio comments, the first impressions were done by listening to Depeche Mode (Violator), Michael Jackson (Dangerous), Leonard Cohen (Best Of) and Shpongle... And only in SE so far, as my balanced cables haven´t arrived.

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #2,874 of 3,352
vrln,
Thanks for this extensive update!
Interesting to read your attention to the mechanical details. I usually don't pay to much attention to this. But while reading your observations about aluminum buttons it appeared to me that I thought "sounds good...."
rolleyes.gif

I guess I do find it important!

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #2,878 of 3,352
The Phoenix has landed!

After 14 weeks my Phoenix returned home from China. I almost forgot the way it sounded: beautiful. Also reassuring: no damage!

The cause of my volume problem was a pair of broken controllers in the AMP unit. Kingwa does not understand how that is possible; they should be capable of handling 30V. The short-circuit in my Power unit (from broken pieces of metal from the power connector) killed a power regulator and possibly this caused a voltage peak (my theory).

Anyway, I finally was able to hear my (already broken-in) C1-Masters and B&W 802 Diamonds using the Phoenix as a pre-amp. Sound quality, especially bass and imaging, is simply amazing. It does not get better than this, period. I auditioned the 802D's using a 12000 euro McIntosh amp, but my setup (and room) is so much better.

P.S. I'm not the only one with a Phoenix in my country anymore; congratulations middachten!

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #2,880 of 3,352
Sorry, I misread. The new proud owner of a fabulous Phoenix is vrln.

O.K. back to "lonely" enjoying my Phoenix then.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back