Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Oct 4, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #2,461 of 3,352
Quote:

The Power Plant Premier will yield positive results with any piece of gear you are using, not just the Audio-gd stuff. It's a truly great component that I would never part with unless it was replaced by a better model. For the best results, everything in your audio chain should be plugged into it. For a headphone system this is easily doable, including your computer if you are using one.

Although not a PPP, I was able to score a P300 for a pretty good price. Should be here this week. I'm excited about hearing the results. From what I've read, this should be a pretty good enhancement to rounding out the system.

thx for the info

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #2,462 of 3,352
Quote:

The Power Plant Premier will yield positive results with any piece of gear you are using, not just the Audio-gd stuff. It's a truly great component that I would never part with unless it was replaced by a better model. For the best results, everything in your audio chain should be plugged into it. For a headphone system this is easily doable, including your computer if you are using one.

Although not a PPP, I was able to score a P300 for a pretty good price. Should be here this week. I'm excited about hearing the results. From what I've read, this should be a pretty good enhancement to rounding out the system.

thx for the info

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #2,464 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know if you know...for every watt you draw from the PPP (or P300), you draw around 2 watts from the wall. So plugging your computer in might not be a good idea from a cost point of view
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #2,465 of 3,352
I appreciate all the suggestions. This is what I plan on plugging into the P300:
SB Duet=>Audio-GD Ref 1=>Phoenix

Kingwa told me the Ref 1 and Phoenix will only draw about a 100 watts. If this is true, I should be good.

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #2,466 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by googlephone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate all the suggestions. This is what I plan on plugging into the P300:
SB Duet=>Audio-GD Ref 1=>Phoenix

Kingwa told me the Ref 1 and Phoenix will only draw about a 100 watts. If this is true, I should be good.

Love to hear your impressions.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #2,467 of 3,352
Quote:

Love to hear your impressions.

Should be here around Thu. so I'll have a fun weekend trying it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #2,469 of 3,352
Finally received my Phoenix and have been burning it in further. Trying to let it alone during this process since I remember being disappointed with the C-2C the first couple of days.
Well, goose bumps all over (again). It's everything the C-2C was plus a truckload of refinement thrown in on top. Super tight bass and the no-fatigue, detailed highs. The old cliche applies, I am hearing more. Case in point, Luka Bloom's "Amsterdam" is a fine album and beautifully recorded live. The track "Gone To Pablo" is a nice track but I had never heard the faint background of the crowd singing along until now (including with the Thiels at reference levels).
My D7000's are sounding better than ever balanced and the nice surprise is how good my HD650's sound balanced. My 325is are still fun but are getting the least use as they just don't have the impact I like, though detailed to hell.
Other have stated (Les in particular) how the Phoenix does something with good recordings- I think it's the spooky separation of instruments and vocals. Very distinct placement of everything with amazing detail.
I'm not sure where to go from here in sound refinement thru headphones (maybe HD800?). At the moment, I don't really care.
Cheers.
Tim

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #2,470 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally received my Phoenix and have been burning it in further. Trying to let it alone during this process since I remember being disappointed with the C-2C the first couple of days.
Well, goose bumps all over (again). It's everything the C-2C was plus a truckload of refinement thrown in on top. Super tight bass and the no-fatigue, detailed highs. The old cliche applies, I am hearing more. Case in point, Luka Bloom's "Amsterdam" is a fine album and beautifully recorded live. The track "Gone To Pablo" is a nice track but I had never heard the faint background of the crowd singing along until now (including with the Thiels at reference levels).
My D7000's are sounding better than ever balanced and the nice surprise is how good my HD650's sound balanced. My 325is are still fun but are getting the least use as they just don't have the impact I like, though detailed to hell.
Other have stated (Les in particular) how the Phoenix does something with good recordings- I think it's the spooky separation of instruments and vocals. Very distinct placement of everything with amazing detail.
I'm not sure where to go from here in sound refinement thru headphones (maybe HD800?). At the moment, I don't really care.
Cheers.
Tim

Glad you're having a good time with it. The LA7000s I listened to on the Phoenix were phenomenal. Everytime I put them on I just had this "Lip-Jerk" WOW coming out of my mouth. I couldn't help it. HF-2s sound killer also as far as Grados are concerned.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #2,471 of 3,352
Glad your amp finally arrived Tim .....that must have been an arduous wait with the shipping mix up. The 650's seem to spring to life when balanced (not that SE'd isn't lively) it's just a whole other realm or level.

Wait until you try it as a preamp (I know I sound like a broken record with that sentiment) but it's even more astounding in that capacity.

Anyway it's good to hear you have your amp safe and sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #2,472 of 3,352
I have the FBI-500 which according to Kingwa is about the same as the Phoenix, so yes, I have an idea. I was trying to sell it during the hard times recently but things worked out and now I am considering selling it just to streamline the setup- run the XLR from the Phoenix to a balanced amp like the C-10 or similar and have one source and remote.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2,473 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the FBI-500 which according to Kingwa is about the same as the Phoenix, so yes, I have an idea. I was trying to sell it during the hard times recently but things worked out and now I am considering selling it just to streamline the setup- run the XLR from the Phoenix to a balanced amp like the C-10 or similar and have one source and remote.

The new C-1s, I got serious wood for those Baybees!

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #2,474 of 3,352
les what part of the la7000 do you think makes most difference?

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #2,475 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
les what part of the la7000 do you think makes most difference?

I think the Pads, the dampening of the cups and the dampening of the Frames are a must do. Recabling helps a little but in relation to the other changes, I'm not so sure. Mine are balanced with Cardas 4x24. I think they warmed up a little and I"think" the bass felt a little tighter and more impactful. I would consider the cables last. I need to point out that my D5000s are un modded presently. Just things keep coming up. But the LA7000s really were an eye opener to how much better they can sound. I'm counting on making the D5000s get the clarity and tightness of the LA7000s but not the recessed mids that are "slightly" perceptable on the LA7000s. The 5000s were more up front comparatively speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back