Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Sep 11, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #2,281 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I didn't quite see the point of doing that with a B22....i guess it would be handy if it could connect to the ref1 but you would have to change a few things...

Off the top of my head, that shouldn't require more than to add the CAST connectors and just wire a couple of resistors across them for your I/V conversion. That would simply feed the B22's volume control.

k

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #2,284 of 3,352
The journey>>>>>> Here we are right now >>>>>>>What lies ahead ?

I must say this point in the poor man's search for musical nirvana has made the journey very rewarding.

The future holds a transporter, moddified of course, a good computer library, then we tackle the balanced issue.

The DX 1000 sounds very good SE so does the 701.

Has anybody balanced a JVC DX 1000, comments?

Shade to all and thanks for all the comments, rants, raves and help.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #2,285 of 3,352
I am happy to report I received my shipment of Phoenix/Ref-1 last week, but as an L.A.County Fireman who has been pre-occupied with the fires and memorials for our Fallen Brothers, I just got around to opening the box. Much to my happiness...every piece was packed well, perfect cosmetic condition, NOT adorned with a bunch of stickers,...and most important...SOUNDS AWESOME! I am putting a few days straight of burn-in, while at work, and will be able to critically assess things better next week. But, after a few hours, I strongly agree with the majority of owners regarding it's sound. Based on using the ACSS connections, in my opinion, this combo is a sonic bargain and a no-brainer for "best bang for the buck" in it's price range.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #2,286 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by t/sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The future holds a transporter, moddified of course, a good computer library, then we tackle the balanced issue.

Personally, if you have Re-1 - what do you need Transporter for? IMO Duet with just digital mods would do the trick with more usable functionality and for much less...

Also, as a fresh Roc (baby Phoenix) owner, I suggest you to tackle the balanced issue sooner. Sure, K701 behave nicely on Roc's SE, but balanced is superior. Differences are not night and day but there is more of everything with balanced... very addictive and there is no turning back to SE.
wink_face.gif

But hey, it is your journey (and your money), enjoy it any way you like!

BTW, where have you found those "legs" for all of your A-GD gear? How did you managed to swap them with original ones?

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #2,287 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, if you have Re-1 - what do you need Transporter for? IMO Duet with just digital mods would do the trick with more usable functionality and for much less...

The Duet does not have more functionality than the Transporter, not even close... nor does the sound quality of the digital output on the Duet equal the Transporter. In this case, you get what you pay for.

The Duet is excellent for its price and with a regulated power supply and custom cables performs well beyond other transports that cost a multitude of it. I was very happy with it when I owned it.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #2,289 of 3,352
Phoenix SE does not sound that good. Definitely get those cans balanced ASAP. It's a lot cheaper of a problem than it was to get all that gear on that rack in the first place.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #2,290 of 3,352
Quote:

Also, as a fresh Roc (baby Phoenix) owner, I suggest you to tackle the balanced issue sooner. Sure, K701 behave nicely on Roc's SE, but balanced is superior. Differences are not night and day but there is more of everything with balanced... very addictive and there is no turning back to SE.
wink_face.gif

But hey, it is your journey (and your money), enjoy it any way you like!

BTW, where have you found those "legs" for all of your A-GD gear? How did you managed to swap them with original ones?

These are the reasons for the "legs"

1) Elevate the gods, get some ventilation going
2) Levitate the gods, prevent all unholy earthly vibrations from reaching the gods
3) Equality to the gods, uniform factor.
4) Heavenly wife can remove unholy dust without disturbing gods restingplace.

You can find legs at vintage audio ebay china / solid non-magnetic aluminium blocks suspended on surgical steel bearings. Instalation realy simple.

Point taken, will go balanced first then change source.

Will S/B Duet + better power source and digital out mod outperform the Touch/ Wadia I 170?

How much sound mileage does the transporter add above noted sources?

Good shade to all.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #2,291 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Duet does not have more functionality than the Transporter, not even close... nor does the sound quality of the digital output on the Duet equal the Transporter. In this case, you get what you pay for.

The Duet's Receiver functionality in my setup is to receive the wireless stream of lossless music and to transfer those ones and zeroes to it's SPDIF digital out RCA. It does it flawlessly.

The Duet's Controller functionality is to browse and select music that I want to hear while lying somewhere in the room. It does it very good.

Now, I am reluctant to believe that I need Transporter (which costs cca. five multitudes of Duet) to stream the same zeros and ones and that it does this so much better than Duet's Receiver (especially if you mod the digital out section and swap its SPDIF RCA out for a nice BNC female connector). Also I find Duet's Controller with its color screen much more handy and usable for browsing and selecting music that I want to hear while lying back somewhere off the computer table and off audio rack with some nice headphones on.
k701smile.gif

But, of course, experiences may vary... as they do in PJ's and my case.

...and this is also Phoenix's thread so we should, perhaps, focus more on Phoenix...
atsmile.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #2,292 of 3,352
most here love phoenix and now wish to complete the godly rig, accessories are no biggy, since most here share same amp and dac.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2,293 of 3,352
Nice rack t/sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats on the nearly "full monty" system....looks good ! Controlling vibration is always a worthy persuit when it comes to electronics (for audio).

I agree with the other folks here...get those cans balanced as soon as you can afford to do so !

Peete.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #2,295 of 3,352
Quote:

Now, I am reluctant to believe that I need Transporter (which costs cca. five multitudes of Duet) to stream the same zeros and ones and that it does this so much better than Duet's Receiver (especially if you mod the digital out section and swap its SPDIF RCA out for a nice BNC female connector). Also I find Duet's Controller with its color screen much more handy and usable for browsing and selecting music that I want to hear while lying back somewhere off the computer table and off audio rack with some nice headphones on.
k701smile.gif

:

You can use the Duet remote with the Transporter. However, the iPod Touch with iPeng works much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back