Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Aug 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #2,176 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's your impression, prepare to sell it. It's most likely not for you. Kingwa must have warned me ten times to make sure I liked Neutral gear. When somebody does that he is telling you something and you should listen.

Alternatively, spend some time with the gear and realize that it doesn't lack detail, and has very good resolution, just not the fanfare you may hear with other gear. It is neutral and you may interpret that as flat.

Question: Did he warn you about it being neutral?

In his poor English, nothing sounds as warning to me. :)

When I ordered, he didn't bother telling me anything about being neutral. I saw that in the website if that's what you are referring to.

Being highly neutral amp, it takes a little getting used to. But awesome in every way.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #2,177 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In his poor English, nothing sounds as warning to me. :)

When I ordered, he didn't bother telling me anything about being neutral. I saw that in the website if that's what you are referring to.

Being highly neutral amp, it takes a little getting used to. But awesome in every way.

Hmmm, he warned me profusely about the REF1 and Phoenix. I had another friend of mine that he did the same thing. I think he will tailor the Phoenix sound for you as well, I shudder to think of that though. I would say this may not be ZTSEN's cip of tea though.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #2,179 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computer-northstar mk2-phoenix.
Mine did not sound good but improved with burn in.Can't believe how good it sounds.

A Happy Camper who loves that FLAT Sound!

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #2,180 of 3,352
Kingwa didnt give warning. Just take order.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will let it run in more time before conclude if this is what I prefer.
At the moment, the high really not my liking.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #2,181 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ztsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa didnt give warning. Just take order.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will let it run in more time before conclude if this is what I prefer.
At the moment, the high really not my liking.

What amp are you comparing the Phoenix to?

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #2,182 of 3,352
The consensus is that Phoenix improves with time. Also, your sources and headphones will need upgrading to get the most of it (Ref1 and a good transport + HD800)

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #2,183 of 3,352
I am very happy with the Phoenix even on a weak source - only E-MU 0404 as transport > Zero DAC > Phoenix > Sennheiser HD600/AKG K701. I have over 400 hours on the Phoenix and both of my headphones sound much better with the Phoenix than sounded on the same source with Little Dot MkV that I used previously as headamp. I listen to almost everything, but most classic, jazz and some specific acoustic genres (fado etc.) – with LD MKV this music sounded very good (especially with AKG K701) but with the Phoenix both headphones are much better! I have Ref1 and HD800 on order so I hope in next improvements very soon... waiting on these new toys is really hard, as allways
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #2,184 of 3,352
Yea Phoenix makes anything sound pretty good but its potential is high for sure.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #2,185 of 3,352
My review unit finally arrived yesterday. It needs a good solid 10 days of break-in, though, according to Kingwa, and I have another amp ahead of it in the review queue, so it will be several weeks before I write it up. Still, just looking at and lifting up the Phoenix is an impressive thing - I'm not sure I have ever seen a more seriously built headphone amp than the Phoenix.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #2,186 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My review unit finally arrived yesterday. It needs a good solid 10 days of break-in, though, according to Kingwa, and I have another amp ahead of it in the review queue, so it will be several weeks before I write it up. Still, just looking at and lifting up the Phoenix is an impressive thing - I'm not sure I have ever seen a more seriously built headphone amp than the Phoenix.

With your extensive experience with other great amps, I'm curious to read your comparison reviews asap. :)

In due course with proper break-in, of course.

beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #2,187 of 3,352
Quote:

Will there be a "preview" or "initial impressions"?
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #2,188 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will there be a "preview" or "initial impressions"?
biggrin.gif

LOL - actually, probably not, since I am busy reviewing another big amp at the moment, and I'd rather not spend the time until it's burned in.

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #2,189 of 3,352
Quote:

Your going to have a lot of fun with this one Sky. Try it as a preamp to if you have a 2 channel speaker system. I'm loving mine in both roles but end up listening 80% of the time in preamp mode on the ref/speaker system. I'm just pushing past 400 hours with mine which means it's really starting to show it's stuff.

I look forward to your thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #2,190 of 3,352
Thanks, looking forward to is as well. I will indeed try it as a preamp, in place of my Krell
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back