Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Aug 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #1,996 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
h.rav
Going to China and checking Kingwa's operations,pretty neat.
How about Kingwa comming here to a large head-fi meet.I would love to hear his impressions of others equipment.AND,what He might get out of it.

I'd like to see Kingwa become a sponsor with a subforum on Head-Fi.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #1,997 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see Kingwa become a sponsor with a subforum on Head-Fi.

As far as I know, he has been postponing the sponsorship for a while, last I heard - he said after the new factory is opened ( so that he has enough time to interact with forum members), so I guess its going to be anytime now.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #1,998 of 3,352
I've heard the HD 800 on a beyerdynamic A1, an amp with 'genuine' 100 ohms. To me it sounded crap: heavy mid-bass/lower-mids hump and killing sibilants. I think, the HD 800 feels better with ~0 ohms.
beerchug.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #2,001 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So when is kingwa going to get serious and make a bang-for-the-buck 'stat amp?

I asked him about that. I'm not totally sure of the response but he didn't seem Uber interested. Maybe he just doesn't see the market. Send him a PM! I would really like to see what he comes up with there. I am looking also. I have all the BH stuff I'm looking over to build a BH, but I'm skeered!

We need to let him know there is a market!

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #2,002 of 3,352
Hey guys,
I need some help. My PHoenix arrived yesterday. 2 days from Hong Kong to Miami, that was good. I got it hooked up today and I'm not getting any sound out of the headphone jacks, either single ended or 4 prong balance. I checked all the connections. I then tried it as a pre amp running into my other headphone amp and that does work, both channels but there's dead silence out of the headphone jacks. I tried two different inputs, btw. Other than contacting King Wa any advice or suggestions. thanks

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #2,003 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjkphd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I need some help. My PHoenix arrived yesterday. 2 days from Hong Kong to Miami, that was good. I got it hooked up today and I'm not getting any sound out of the headphone jacks, either single ended or 4 prong balance. I checked all the connections. I then tried it as a pre amp running into my other headphone amp and that does work, both channels but there's dead silence out of the headphone jacks. I tried two different inputs, btw. Other than contacting King Wa any advice or suggestions. thanks

Have you noticed and used the preamp button?

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #2,004 of 3,352
thanks Les, you're the man. I noticed the pre amp switch but assumed it needed to be on to function as pre amp or headphone amp. Hope others read this and don't make the same ass-umption.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #2,005 of 3,352
Quote:

thanks Les, you're the man. I noticed the pre amp switch but assumed it needed to be on to function as pre amp or headphone amp. Hope others read this and don't make the same ass-umption.

Kingwa needs to do a manual or FAQ about his products on his website. Glad it worked out for ya!

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #2,006 of 3,352
Quote:

The Phoenix and W5000 makes a wonderful pairing. Let me know how the Phoenix compares to the HA-02 when paired with the W5000.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #2,008 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Phoenix and W5000 makes a wonderful pairing. Let me know how the Phoenix compares to the HA-02 when paired with the W5000.

will do, I'm also curious to compare the W5000, which I recently recabled to balanced, balanced vs unbalanced via the balanced to unbalanced adapter cable I have

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #2,010 of 3,352
An update on the adapters: They are definitely the way to go, but I notice a slight decrease in transparency, not much, but it's noticeable... so I would like to try some nude Vishay resistors. I also feel that 100 ohm may be just a tad too much (although I'm really enjoying it and music has never been so pleasant to listen to). I think a 75 ohm adapter might work a tad better, but I won't know of sure until I have an adapter made with those specs. Once I find the perfect balance (and 100 just might be the perfect balance, but I need to compare with others to be sure) I will have it hardwired into the amp. Every extra connection you make is one more loss in detail. But hey, I'm letting these guys burn in so that will help too.

I also think many of the resistors and caps in the amp itself could be replaced with better ones to gain every last ounce of performance out of this amp. It is definitely a great amp but I feel it could use some more tuning and adjusting, at least for use with the HD800 which is what I've designed my system around.

What I can say is that if I have to sacrifice a little transparency (3% - 5%) for this full bodied sound, it's a no brainer. I'll take this any day. It may not be sacrificing any transparency, it could just be that the full bodied sound is just blocking me from hearing the thinner sound I'm used to without the adapter. I can't believe how thin the Phoenix makes the HD800 sound on its own. When you compare the two, without the adapter you'll say "There's no midbass, bass or body to the music."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back