Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #1,141 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ztsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

Do you think is funny now they have the price USD1200+free exclusive power cable?
The phoenix price is keep changing

At first, before 30 June we should have safe 1330-1000=USD330
If you order with power cord, USD1000+USD75=1075
Now, new price 1200 only until july, so the saving is only USD125 instead if USD330
What is the point of rushing before 30 June for the thought of saving $330?
Just doesn't feel right about their business style.

He had an Early Adopter Program $1000

Then He has a Promo period $1200 + Cable

Then he has the Normal price $1330

What's hard to understand about that?

He added the Promo period I'm sure because some folks complained about the short 1st period.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #1,143 of 3,352
Quote:

Hi guys,

Do you think is funny now they have the price USD1200+free exclusive power cable?
The phoenix price is keep changing

At first, before 30 June we should have safe 1330-1000=USD330
If you order with power cord, USD1000+USD75=1075
Now, new price 1200 only until end july, so the saving is only USD125 instead if USD330
What is the point of rushing before 30 June for the thought of saving $330?

You're complaining that he's extending some type of discount past the original June 30th date? By all means go ahead and send $1330 for the amp.
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #1,145 of 3,352
I know what you're trying to say, ztsen, and I'm sure Kingwa would understand if people decided to cancel their order right now to wait until the end of July 30th before deciding if they want to place an order and pay the new $1200 (with free audio-gd power cable) price. Also to clarify it seems like $1200 is the new permanent price of the Phoenix, and if you order before July 30th it comes with the free cable. Imo it would've been best if the Phoenix wasn't sold for $1000 because that's so much less than $1330, $1125 would've caused less craziness on this forum.

Also the less sound separation and less blackness from grounding my cable is probably due mainly to the smaller (or more controlled) soundstage hehe, both sound good though, but I'd certainly use ungrounded if I wanted to wow people.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,146 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you're trying to say, ztsen, and I'm sure Kingwa would understand if people decided to cancel their order right now to wait until the end of July 30th before deciding if they want to place an order and pay the new $1200 (with free audio-gd power cable) price. Also to clarify it seems like $1200 is the new permanent price of the Phoenix, and if you order before July 30th it comes with the free cable. Imo it would've been best if the Phoenix wasn't sold for $1000 because that's so much less than $1330, $1125 would've caused less craziness on this forum.

Also the less sound separation and less blackness from grounding my cable is probably due mainly to the smaller (or more controlled) soundstage hehe, both sound good though, but I'd certainly use ungrounded if I wanted to wow people.

That's an even better deal($1200). $330 was quit a bump and certainly was responsible for a feeding Frenzy about wanting to hear the impressions before the price went up.

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #1,147 of 3,352
Got my Phoenix unboxed and setup now without incident. It's currently setup like this:

laptop (USB out) > Monitor01-USD (BNC out) > Ref1 (CAST out) > Phoenix (XLR out) > subwoofer and D-Sonic Magnum 1000S amp > speakers

Sounds really good, more natural and a little less harsh than my (unbalanced) Emotiva preamp. I also have my Cambridge 840C connected to one of the XLR inputs on the Phoenix. Very happy with the Phoenix so far.

The stickers didn't bother me. I quite like the LED display also. The only thing that annoys me is the remote control. The Phoenix is not able to receive commands from the remote at my listening position unless I hold my arm out at an awkward position. Even then it doesn't always register my volume changes. The remote itself is a nice solid piece of aluminum but it's not quite as nice as my Emotiva's aluminum remote. The remote is a minor complaint though and I'm sure I'll figure out the best way to use it before long.

While I enjoy breaking-in my Phoenix, enjoy these quick pics I just took.

mikphoenix01.jpg

mikphoenix02.jpg

mikphoenix03.jpg

mikphoenix04.jpg

mikphoenix05.jpg

mikphoenix06.jpg

mikphoenix07.jpg

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #1,148 of 3,352
Didn't kingwa say that the surprisingly large amount of orders meant he could cut the price a bit? Maybe he will stay at $1200 after July, but without the power cord, we'll see I guess. I've made my order, so I personally don't care anymore.
People are funny though, no matter what you do, someone will complain. I bet some people will feel cheated if kingwa doesn't make it $1330 later on, like they have lost something on it then.

I decided to wait for the fixed back panel. Good thing I have my... no wait, I don't have any other amp. Damn. :|
Question is, should I go for the HD-800 or one of his DAC:s first (when I get some money again I mean)? Considering the pace he develops new products, it might be a good idea to wait with the DAC, maybe he'll release something even better than Ref1 at half the cost! *keeps hoping for that to keep my wallet from crying*
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #1,151 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Phoenix unboxed and setup now without incident. It's currently setup like this:

laptop (USB out) > Monitor01-USD (BNC out) > Ref1 (CAST out) > Phoenix (XLR out) > subwoofer and D-Sonic Magnum 1000S amp > speakers

Sounds really good, more natural and a little less harsh than my (unbalanced) Emotiva preamp. I also have my Cambridge 840C connected to one of the XLR inputs on the Phoenix. Very happy with the Phoenix so far.

The stickers didn't bother me. I quite like the LED display also. The only thing that annoys me is the remote control. The Phoenix is not able to receive commands from the remote at my listening position unless I hold my arm out at an awkward position. Even then it doesn't always register my volume changes. The remote itself is a nice solid piece of aluminum but it's not quite as nice as my Emotiva's aluminum remote. The remote is a minor complaint though and I'm sure I'll figure out the best way to use it before long.

While I enjoy breaking-in my Phoenix, enjoy these quick pics I just took.

Looking good there.

Could you also provide some pictures of your whole setup? Or if you have them online, link them please. I'd like to see D-Sonic amps in action.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #1,152 of 3,352
Quote:

Get over it or don't buy from him.
rolleyes.gif

If you have been reading this thread you would know that he is a wonderful person to do business with and he basically does whatever you ask him to. Not to mention he will customize your amp for you -- FOR FREE -- if you ask him. He obviously screwed up with the stickers and scratches and I'm sure he learned his lesson from all the complaints he received. He will probably put up huge signs for his workers to remind them. But you have nothing to fear since you will not get stuck with a bad product or without a warranty.

You say bad business practice? He sold a lot more amps than he thought he would so he lowered the price. He didn't have to say anything of the sort and could have continued selling the amp at $1330. But he did a very nice thing and also is including a free power cord which is awesome with the Phoenix, btw, for $1200. And that's bad business practice?
rolleyes.gif

Someone will always find something to bitch about. This thread is evident of that. I don't think I'll ever give initial impressions on any promo period purchase ever again. Screw 'em. You get s*** if you do, s*** if you don't. Let them be the guinea pigs just as I was. No more freebies.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #1,154 of 3,352
^ It looks much better that I thought
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #1,155 of 3,352
Mik: Those are terrific shots and a terrific setup you got there.
beerchug.gif

You're always welcome to give some impressions on the breaking-in process.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back