Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jun 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #826 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Kingwa to ascend to the next level, he needs to up his game just a few ticks.

1) Don't send out scratched gear from China. Nobody has the stomach to pay to send it back, myself included. It makes your buyer feel like you are thumbing your nose at him. People make excuses for this, but that is BS.
2) Paper stickers are Tacky. PERIOD. I've never bought any high end gear in the Past with a Plethora of PAPER stickers and GOO on it. Nuff said. STOP IT.
3) If you are going to send out something with Typos and Paper input labels on it, you need to disclose that before someone pays $120 for shipping so that they can make an informed decision. Don't let it show up the doorstep and your customer has a What moment.

If he just fixes a few things, he can own his market. Even with this stuff, it's the SQ and engineering where it's at. I'm not interested in anybody else's gear with the exception of my own Built B22 possibly. Presently with the Phoenix, I am seriously questioning that, and it is being pushed way back on my things to do list.

The REF1 and the Phoenix, what a Combo this is turning out to be...

Well said, Les. I hope he sends me out the new panel on Monday. I did notice how in the spare connector kit that came with the Phoenix he included an Allen Key with it, so that is good. Maybe he knew in advance that I'd want to replace this panel.
tongue.gif

I am seriously considering buying a REF-1. I just hope the synergy is as good as it is now. I also need to have RAM work on my Squeezebox and do some custom modding to it, replacing capacitors, clock, etc.

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #827 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking. Sandchak said it was absurd, then I said maybe it's true which of course is pretty silly.

I feel pretty dirty having to explain myself like this, believe me, from now on I'll refrain from talking anything other than completely direct.

The internet can sometimes relay a tone that was not intended. Without the use of smileys it's nigh impossible to say exactly what someone meant, and in this case your posts came across a little "troll"-like, and you appeared to be backpeddling to avoid looking like a troll.

Since it is now clear you were misunderstood my apologies for mistaking your tone. No one cares if you joke around here, my least of all, but the appearance can sometimes take on a life of its own.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #828 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a lack of impressions on the unit, but I don't see anything "evil" about it, maybe it sounds so nice they don't bother posting about it anymore!

I have seen several positive reviews from CJ. Nothing earth-shattering, but it's tough to get a good handle on a source under Meet conditions.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #829 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a lack of impressions on the unit, but I don't see anything "evil" about it, maybe it sounds so nice they don't bother posting about it anymore!

It'd be hard to post at this time negative things about the SQ of the Phoenix because it really does have a warm-up period and a long burn-in. If you want to hear me complain, the Phoenix gets really hot and I am reluctant to let it warm-up since I am in a hot region and don't use air conditioning, but that's an evil that I must get used to. Something that could be improved is that the remote only works when directly pointed within the PSU's display or maybe 30 degrees downwards, I will try to block the display and still use the remote so I can listen at night in the dark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The internet can sometimes relay a tone that was not intended. Without the use of smileys it's nigh impossible to say exactly what someone meant, and in this case your posts came across a little "troll"-like, and you appeared to be backpeddling to avoid looking like a troll.

Since it is now clear you were misunderstood my apologies for mistaking your tone. No one cares if you joke around here, my least of all, but the appearance can sometimes take on a life of its own.

I wasn't misunderstood, people simply ignored or forgot what I wrote and I had to waste my time repelling criticism. I already responded to Curra that I didn't really think there was a conspiracy, yet some posters afterwards didn't seem to read it. If you want to say I tried to backtrack and start some mini-war over it with me fine, but like the bible says, if your eye offends you, pluck it out, that way less blood will be spilled. It's exactly the same self-defense people have to engage in when they post their subjective impressions when people start yapping about objectivity. In either case both is a waste of time and energy on offense and defense and it just ends with a lot of resentment. If you don't want to believe me when I said I was joking, fine, then think what you want. This place would be a lot better if people were more tolerant though, and I think exercising more care in reading wouldn't be a bad thing.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #830 of 3,352
Quote:

It'd be hard to post at this time negative things about the SQ of the Phoenix because it really does have a warm-up period and a long burn-in. If you want to hear me complain, the Phoenix gets really hot and I am reluctant to let it warm-up since I am in a hot region and don't use air conditioning, but that's an evil that I must get used to. Something that could be improved is that the remote only works when directly pointed within the PSU's display or maybe 30 degrees downwards, I will try to block the display and still use the remote so I can listen at night in the dark.

I forgot to mention that as well. Good thinking, Haloxt. The remote is pretty useless if you're not directly in a line of sight with the unit. Usually IR will bounce off the walls if you angle it properly, but it does not work with this amp. Kingwa should put the IR receiver in the front of the amp above the screen and not behind it, since the screen window is recessed.

I usually keep my A/C on when I'm listening, however because the HD800 are open phones I miss out on wonderful detail when the A/C unit is running. It would be so nice to have central air. But the unit sounds better when it is hot, and when the power is the least polluted (1 a.m. - 4 a.m.). I'm debating whethere my next purchase will be a REF-1, more upgrades to my DL3 and my SB, or a PS Audio Power Plant Premier. Any suggestions?

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #831 of 3,352
Agreed about playing late at night lol, I've only listened late at night maybe 4-5 times but it feels like the sound becomes very clean. I tried asking Kingwa about power conditioners for his equipment and if I read him correctly, I think he said he didn't like the sound of a few chinese brands he's tried (the ones with voltage regulation etc) but that ac filter is okay to use. Dirty power is an issue audio-gd equipment tries to fix so maybe you don't have to worry about upgrading to a better power conditioner since you already have one.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #832 of 3,352
Quote:

Agreed about playing late at night lol, I've only listened late at night maybe 4-5 times but it feels like the sound becomes very clean. I tried asking Kingwa about power conditioners for his equipment and if I read him correctly, I think he said he didn't like the sound of a few chinese brands he's tried (the ones with voltage regulation etc) but that ac filter is okay to use. Dirty power is an issue audio-gd equipment tries to fix so maybe you don't have to worry about upgrading to a better power conditioner since you already have one.

I do not have a power conditioner. The Juice Bar II is nothing more than a very high quality power strip. It uses no wires. The contact plate is a solid piece of metal. I've tried many power conditioners and while they improve many areas, they always seem to suck out goodness in another area. The noise harvester works well because it soaks up line noise and converts it to light, but your equipment is not plugged into it. Kingwa's power cord is very good, and that's why it's connecting the wall outlet to the Juice Bar. But it is not the best plugged into the amp which is why I have my best power cord on it. The hot, return, and ground are all individual, isolated cords.

A power regenerator is a different animal. It doesn't condition the power, it creates it. It takes the AC from your wall, converts it to DC and then back to AC again:

Power Plant Premier : Additional Product Info | PS Audio

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #833 of 3,352
How much better are his power supplies than o22? What would I need to try to copy his advanced PSU for my build?

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #834 of 3,352
wow that regenerator looks insane! I might have to save up for one of those, as in my apartment my power is less than desired.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #835 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said, Les. I hope he sends me out the new panel on Monday. I did notice how in the spare connector kit that came with the Phoenix he included an Allen Key with it, so that is good. Maybe he knew in advance that I'd want to replace this panel.
tongue.gif

I am seriously considering buying a REF-1. I just hope the synergy is as good as it is now. I also need to have RAM work on my Squeezebox and do some custom modding to it, replacing capacitors, clock, etc.

You can have real balanced, full CAST connectivity to the Phoenix. I don't want to spend your money for you but that setup has got to kick a** (it certainly does with my FBI-500 connected this way).

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #836 of 3,352
I think I should stop giving excited impressions for awhile. Every time I think I have a handle on the situation and think my system is excellent just the way it is, something else comes along and just shatters my previous opinions of it. (No comments from the peanut gallery, please.)

I received my APuresound V3 HD800 balanced super nylon cable w/ Rhodium Furutech connectors about an hour ago. Now, I'll start off by saying that this time of day is less than ideal for critical listening for two reasons: 1) Power usage is at its highest and audio equipment sounds less than sublime, unless of course you have a power regenerator, and 2) listening critically means I have to turn my A/C unit off and then it gets extremely hot in here, living in southern California, and being uncomfortable is not the frame of mind you want to be in when trying to listen to music. So keep this in mind when reading the following, and know that I will follow it up later tonight when power usage is at its lowest:

The difference going to a balanced cable from SE (on this amp) is probably the largest difference in tonal balance and a complete, enveloping sensation that I've ever experienced anywhere in my system, at any point in time. It's so dramatic a difference that now I have no clue which direction to go in next.

Is it Alex's cable that is so good? Is it the amp itself that just puts out an entirely different sound balanced? Or is it both?

There are elements of SE output (with balanced input) that I actually prefer and I really want to hear what a good SE HD800 cable will sound like on this amp. They are: 1) There is a defined soundstage, and it's further away from you. 2) It doesn't ever sound like the music is coming from transducers on your ears. But SE sounds flat and lifeless IN COMPARISON to balanced output.

In every other area the balanced cable just shatters SE, but the areas listed above are ones I find extremely important. The balanced configuration offers a much fuller sound, better tonal balance, an encompassing sensation that extends at least 270 degrees around your head, midrange and bass take center stage (whereas before the treble was the most detailed part of the spectrum), better imaging, better dynamics, and a more natural presentation overall. But there is no seemingly well-defined soundstage and because the midrange and bass are so much more present and full-bodied, I can often tell that the music is coming from two transducers on my head, even if it sounds like they are not right next to my ears. Center image is nicely defined and vocals sound as true to life as I've heard them. Treble is soft and extended, every detail can be heard but not strident in any way.

This is going to take some getting used to and I need to thoroughly compare this fully balanced configuration to other amps at the L.A. Meet. But I'm pretty sure my next purchase will be a power regenerator. I also need to try some different cable configurations and let my amp warm up for another 2 or 3 hours. Also, the balanced output on the amp may need some burn-in time, too.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #837 of 3,352
Bit the bullet and ordered one, but waiting for the new back plate. Kingwa let me have the $1000 price since I placed it before the 30th. Looks like a C-2C will be for sale soon.
For those wanting to test clarity and bass extension, download the 24/96 version of Sara K. "Hobo", "Brick House" redo from HDTracks- it sounds incredible.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #838 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting how much this amp has to warm up before the music is at its best. It sounds great cold but not nearly as refined and smooth as it does when it gets heated. When you guys who are owners of the REF-1 said it needs to warm up, I wasn't sure what to make of your impressions but I see now exactly what you meant. Donald North said his tube amp needs at least 30 minutes to warm up. I'd say the Phoenix needs at least an hour.

Odd as it may seem for SS that is precisely the finding.....I hadn't really noticed all that much since I have tube amps and a tube pre in the main system that I fire up and let warm up for 45 minutes before hitting play so I was missing out on the warm up period (for the RE1). Drosera made mention of it some months back (the C-2C and Compass have this ...er quirk for lack of a better term ATM except the effect is far far more subtle) in the RE1 thread so naturally I tried it out and that is indeed the way things go with the RE1 and I would imagine other models in the line up.

Why that is so is open to conjecture but I'm sure Kingwa might have a much more meaningful and logical explanation for it. The amps/dacs etc have a lot of parts and majorly big power supplies (with loads of filtering capacity) so that is the likely place to start.

Peete.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #839 of 3,352
I am heavily tempted to buy one before the 30th. Do you have any recommendation as to what I should ask Kingwa for? I use the HD650 + DX1000 mainly, but I do have an K1000 currently being driven by an Audiovalve RKV MKII.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #840 of 3,352
You should ask him to install the on/off display switch. It's a great thing. It's right next to the "Debug" switch and looks identical to it. It isn't in the signal path of any of the audio and will not affect SQ at all. But because I always like to find things out for myself I really tried to see if it would, turning it on and off and on and off while listening.... no difference.

Also, I don't know what kind of interconnects you are using but his Sharkwire XLR are very nice and his power cord is excellent for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back