Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jun 26, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #751 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

By the way, the trick to removing labels without leaving a mess is to peel them off very slowly.

That is very true, I received 4 gears from Audio GD with stickers and they all removed very nice without leaving any residues behind, when they were pulled very gently - actually I was going to mention that myself, but then I thought it must be some real big problem, in the sense, that it might be some other kind of stickers..

Anyway, that said, there is no reason why those stickers cant be removed before the gears are finally packed to ship because they are mostly meant for people assembling the gear.. Well, I hope Kingwa reads your post and shares this trick with his workers too!!..

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #752 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to be rude, but this post of yours sounds ridiculous.

The Ref 1 was connected to jp11801's rig, (the Canjam organiser). You can see it in one of the pictures. From what I understand, Canjam was the biggest ever held, with a crapload of gear there, such that I saw even heavily photographed gear hardly mentioned, such as those beautiful tube stax amps, made by someone whose name I have forgotten.

I'm just perplexed at not hearing anything about the ref 1, I thought people were interested in audio-gd gear and were going to try it out during canjam. I don't think there was a conspiracy, just wondering why it didn't get any feedback. I only read a few posters commenting on their experience with the C2C and compass but seems like too few.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #753 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just perplexed at not hearing anything about the ref 1, I thought people were interested in audio-gd gear and were going to try it out during canjam. I don't think there was a conspiracy, just wondering why it didn't get any feedback. I only read a few posters commenting on their experience with the C2C and compass but seems like too few.

How many reviews have you seen of sources in general from Canjam? Apart from that reel-to-reel deck I think there are actually very little. Canjam is about headphones first and headphone amps second. Also, all the Audio-gd gear was part of the raffle, which means that probably half of it had already been raffled off before Canjam was even halfway. This I think goes a long way towards explaining why you're hearing so little about it.

IPodPJ did hear the Ref One at Canjam though, IIRC, and reported about it in his Canjam post.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #754 of 3,352
When you think about it IPodPJ is the only one who has heard and compared high end ss amps . Phonitor-Rudi Stro 300-B22-WA22 . Even if it wasn't under ideal conditions , it's the best comparisons out there right now . When I went from the WA6 to the Rudi Stor NX33 it was a quantum leap for me . Then I heard the Apache and others at the charlotte N.C. meet . The Apache was another Huge leap for me .

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #755 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you think about it IPodPJ is the only one who has heard and compared high end ss amps . Phonitor-Rudi Stro 300-B22-WA22 . Even if it wasn't under ideal conditions , it's the best comparisons out there right now . When I went from the WA6 to the Rudi Stor NX33 it was a quantum leap for me . Then I heard the Apache and others at the charlotte N.C. meet . The Apache was another Huge leap for me .

Yes but he hasn't side by side compared any of them to the phoenix at home and is still claiming over and over its better. I think his comments are hurting the thread more than helping it anymore especially after talking down to XXII for having an opinion. A review would suffice instead of trying to push it as the best amp ever aka FOTM/new toy hype.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #756 of 3,352
I'm for any opinion at this time . $1000 is a lot less than $3000 for sure . I'll use the weekend to decide what to buy . Having said that , if I do buy the Pheonix and it dissapoints , I believe I could sell it for a small loss . I'll think about that before putting down $3 grand . Seems like win win .

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #757 of 3,352
I agree with Pyriel0 - but I gave in anyway and placed my order last night.

Now we just need a matching Audio-GD DAC, the "Fenghuang"
smily_headphones1.gif
It should be fully differential, based on a couple of the ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018 DAC chip, with world class bad ass I/V and output stage, housed in the same two-split enclosures as the Phoenix with the PSU seperately. All the usual audio-gd goodies should be in it such as DSP and CAST current outputs. It should also have a superb master clock with a buffering/reclocking jitter reduction circuit. Besides CAST, it should have RCA and XLR outputs. Besides SPDIF coax and BNC, Toslink optical and AES/EBU, it should have I2S, asynchronous USB a la Wavelength and HDMI digital inputs. Built to beat competitors such as APL NWO-DAC1, BAD Alpha, Buffalo32 etc at roughly the same price target as the Phoenix.
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #758 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiToNi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now we just need a matching Audio-GD DAC, the "Fenghuang"
smily_headphones1.gif
It should be fully differential, based on a couple of the ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018 DAC chip, with world class bad ass I/V and output stage, housed in the same two-split enclosures as the Phoenix with the PSU seperately. All the usual audio-gd goodies should be in it such as DSP and CAST current outputs. It should also have a superb master clock with a buffering/reclocking jitter reduction circuit. Besides CAST, it should have RCA and XLR outputs. Besides SPDIF coax and BNC, Toslink optical and AES/EBU, it should have I2S, asynchronous USB a la Wavelength and HDMI digital inputs. Built to roughly the same price target.

You should take this up with Kingwa, I think you'll find plenty to disagree on as to what makes a great DAC.
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #759 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm for any opinion at this time . $1000 is a lot less than $3000 for sure . I'll use the weekend to decide what to buy . Having said that , if I do buy the Pheonix and it dissapoints , I believe I could sell it for a small loss . I'll think about that before putting down $3 grand . Seems like win win .

Sounds like you're trying to rationalize an impulse buy.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #760 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes but he hasn't side by side compared any of them to the phoenix at home and is still claiming over and over its better. I think his comments are hurting the thread more than helping it anymore especially after talking down to XXII for having an opinion. A review would suffice instead of trying to push it as the best amp ever aka FOTM/new toy hype.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never set it was the best amp out there, I said it is the best amp I've heard! And I said it combines the best of tube and SS, as did Les. I've stated several times I have not had most of those amps in my home to do fair comparisons with the same power cords. I'm not pushing anything, as you can do whatever you'd like with your own money. I'm telling you the positives of the amp. I also told you how extremely angry I was when I first got it. If I thought it had any sonic downsides (which I did before I let it warm up, and I posted those), I would mention them as well.

I know a good piece of gear when I hear it, and I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you or anyone else. Am I the best at judging gear? I'm sure I'm not compared to many members with more experience than I have. These are my initial impressions right now, and if they change with time and it ceases to be my favorite amp, I will mention that as well. If this hinders your decision making process in any way, you are welcome to put me on ignore and not see my posts.

You guys asked for initial impressions so you could get your orders in before the promotional price ends. If you don't like the impressions offered, then don't buy the amp. It's really that simple.
wink.gif
Or, you can wait until more people have had a chance to confirm what I'm telling you or deny it.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #761 of 3,352
We don't have to lecture each other about how to be objective okay? It's silly like explaining alphabets to people. And people keep speculating about the Phoenix or this or that amp being better and making arguments out of them. Just read our opinions and make what you will of it and stop being so vitriolic. Would you prefer if we didn't even give our impressions? Sometimes I'm glad the English of certain people isn't perfect, so there's a chance they don't understand how embarrassingly immature we are being. Anyway, since I can't pit the Phoenix vs. other high end amps, no additional impressions from me will likely help inform people on the currently important topic of how it does vs. other amps.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #762 of 3,352
Well, I am going to place an order I think. I asked about the back panel labeling (I want a corrected one) and he responded that a new panel would be ready for shipment possibly by the end of July. I am willing to wait for that.

Currawong- any more impressions vs the C-2C?

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #763 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currawong- any more impressions vs the C-2C?

He needs to let the amp really warm up first. It easily takes an hour or more for the sound to really settle in, and as was my case a good 4 - 6 hours after putting your power cords on it before it settled in. (Some power cord manufacturers tell you when you disconnect a cord it will take another 80 hours to settle in. I don't feel this is true from my experience, but yes they do take a little while to settle in.)

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #765 of 3,352
Sigh....so no first impressions is the acceptable rule ? Seems rather selective in nature/application and is even less paletable considering this attention is not evenly applied to every thread posted in the amp forum (or elsewhere).

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back