Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 14, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #1,531 of 3,352
I wanted to make a laptop run the same rockbox software that was designed for mp3 players
tongue.gif
it'd certainly have a lot less cpu usage than using windows if nothing else. The rockbox software is very nice though, with a few more added functions it has the makings of the ultimate music server software.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #1,532 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to make a laptop run the same rockbox software that was designed for mp3 players
tongue.gif
it'd certainly have a lot less cpu usage than using windows if nothing else. The rockbox software is very nice though, with a few more added functions it has the makings of the ultimate music server software.

My iPod is RockBox'd, but if I'm in front of my Laptop, I'm doing things that need the OS. Anyhow, was just wondering out loud what you were referring to.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #1,533 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes have you tired Mediamonkey with the otachan ASIO driver ? I found it to be better than Foobar by a fair margin in terms of SQ.

Peete.

I'd have to ask John tucker if he's tried it. My server is not just loading up Foobar and running it. Foobar running on my Office PC or my bedroom PC does not sound anywhere near as good as my server does. I have had it demonstrated to me how the slightest change in how a system is configured has a noticeable effect on the sound. So I'm not going to mess with what is the finest source (Transport) that I've heard.

I'll try Media Monkey on another of my PC's and if I find it's user interface to be better I'll ask john to see if it's as good (Or better) than Foobar (The way he has it configured) is.

Since Moon Audio has my AH-D7000's for re-cabling I'm back to using my Phoenix as a Preamp only. I'm well over 500 hours and to be honest I have no issues with it's performance as a preamp. I'm convinced that to get something that would be a worthwhile upgrade I'd have to spend more than $5000 retail.

As I sit here listening to the Soundtrack to Apocalypto I am forced to grin, because I only spent $1164 (Shipping and paypal fee's) on this thing. I'm sure that if I looked in the dictionary under bargain that there would be a picture of the Phoenix there. If you want to hear some of the Phoenix's strengths listen to this recording. Dynamics, Bass slam and power. Awesome recording, and the Phoenix does it true justice.

I'm done fawning for now.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #1,534 of 3,352
Agreed Yikes on all counts using th Phoenix as a main system pre....I'm amazed with it's abilities. I've heard some good stuff over the years but this is new territory for me.

I'm right in the middle of the conversion of the DIY cable to balanced using Kingwa's kit. I managed to repair the flaky connector....crossed fingers (damned thing is tough to unsolder...re-solder without melting the entire blasted housing) but I think I have it...onto step 2
smily_headphones1.gif

Try out Mediamonkey with that ASIO driver (otachan 6.7 or something like that). It based on the Steinberg ASIO driver (in whole or part...more info at the otachan site). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised ...

That ST sounds like a worthwhile addition to the collection. What label is it recorded under Yikes ?

Peete.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #1,535 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<<SNIP>>

As I sit here listening to the Soundtrack to Apocalypto I am forced to grin, because I only spent $1164 (Shipping and paypal fee's) on this thing. I'm sure that if I looked in the dictionary under bargain that there would be a picture of the Phoenix there. If you want to hear some of the Phoenix's strengths listen to this recording. Dynamics, Bass slam and power. Awesome recording, and the Phoenix does it true justice.

I'm done fawning for now.

Any particular track on the Soundtrack?

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #1,536 of 3,352
Just got my phoenix and realized I don't have digital out on my new computer.Only headphone and speaker analogs.The computer dosen't recognize usb to the dac.Is a sound card with digital out my only recourse or should the computer recognize the usb.Thanks for any info.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #1,537 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my phoenix and realized I don't have digital out on my new computer.Only headphone and speaker analogs.The computer dosen't recognize usb to the dac.Is a sound card with digital out my only recourse or should the computer recognize the usb.Thanks for any info.

Not enough info. Have you gone through the control panel and going to Sound and choosing the USB Audio Codec that should show up there (Once the USB DAC is plugged in).

It really is usually Plug and Play.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #1,541 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bob, just so I'm clear, you've got it set up as follows:

Computer---(USB)--->Pop Pulse---(S/PDIF)--->North Star mk2 (coax in)------>Phoenix

Is that correct? And no joy?

Yes that's exactly right,and I've been waiting for a long time to hear music again.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #1,543 of 3,352
Bob,

Two things occur to me (When I had that North Star, the coax in was working fine):

1) What kind of cable do you have going from the Pop Pulse to the North Star? Is it a 75 ohm digital cable?

2) Forgive me if this is a simplistic tip, but have you made sure to switch the input on the front panel of the North Star?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back