Audio-gd NFB-28
Feb 6, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #798 of 2,104
Yep, just got an email confirmation that they sent me the 2014 version. They could've told me they were about to release a new version in 2 weeks and I'd gladly wait... I  suppose it's a lesson to be learned. The sad thing is that my unit is still in customs... 

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #799 of 2,104
Hi Everyone. I've been a long time lurker of Head-Fi (and this thread) and decided it was time for me start posting again. I'm very interested in the NFB-28, but am concerned about how well it pairs with the HD800 in terms of brightness. Has anyone tried this combination? Like a few others, I have had the chance to listen to the Oppo-HA1 with the HD800s and found it to be too bright/cold for my tastes. Since the NFB-28 and HA1 both use a Sabre DAC, should I expect a similar experience?

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #800 of 2,104
No, the Sabre itself isn't cold or bright.  It is however aggressive.  For the HD800 on a chip level the AKM would be my choice.  They tend to sound natural with good weight and fullness to the sound.  Pretty much what the HD800 lacks.  Hence why quite a few like the Gungnir and HD800 combo.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #801 of 2,104
I have the NFB-28 (2015) received on 5 January (Dutch Audio-GD dealer), great piece of equipment and I love the sound it produce, take's two weeks of burning in though to really shine. 

At first I had the 2014 model on order but luckily my dealer informed me about the new 2015 model :) 

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #802 of 2,104
  I have the NFB-28 (2015) received on 5 January (Dutch Audio-GD dealer), great piece of equipment and I love the sound it produce, take's two weeks of burning in though to really shine. 

At first I had the 2014 model on order but luckily my dealer informed me about the new 2015 model :) 

Wait a bit. So on January 5, they already had a consummer version of the NFB-28 (2015) and they still sold me old stock? I emailed them about it and they had the gall to tell that the only difference between the 2014 and 2015 versions is RJ45 input ("The NFB-28(2015)is add the RJ45 input,But add USD70.")

In my opinion, it's already pretty disrespectful to sell old tech when you are about to release a new one. But to sell old tech when you already have a new version on the street? That's downright offensive. If they had only informed that there was a new version, I'd gladly pay extra or waited a bit.

I think I'll refuse the package and start a dispute on paypal.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #803 of 2,104

I think I'll refuse the package and start a dispute on paypal. Including taxes, this amp is costing me roughly 1530 USD (possibly more)

blink.gif
 Geez man, what's the tax/customs fee for Brazil? That's roughly twice what I paid

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #804 of 2,104
Those customs fees cannot be blamed on A-GD.

However, if I was in your position, I would feel really anxious about not having the best. What exactly were these new upgrades anyway? It looks like price also went up so you saved some money.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #805 of 2,104

However, if I was in your position, I would feel really anxious about not having the best. What exactly were these new upgrades anyway? It looks like price also went up so you saved some money.

By all means, I'm not blaming the fees on audio-gd. By including those, what I meant is that as the total cost is not trivial I was not willing to "suck it up" and keep the amp.

About the upgrades and price, quoting fellow headfier:

I understand that you would rather have the 28 for less, who wouldn't, but this new 28 is a significant upgrade over the previous model.  

Revised dac, new amp, tweaked power supply, new volume control, shielded case. You also have to consider that the old 28 amp is from the days of the Phoenix circa 2009.  Audio-GD has come a long way since then.

That said, Kingwa is good guy.  Shoot him an email and see what happens.  It's currently $712.50 because of the sale, he might accept $680 if you're reasonable.

And regarding the 70 dollars difference, the 2014 normal price is also 750 USD and currently there's a sale that reduces  the 2015 version to $712.50. However, even if the difference was $70, I wouldn't mind paying it. My point is that they didn't tell about the new version and instead sold me the old one.

From Audio-GD site:

NFB-28 (Version 2015 )

(The best mid range DAC +amp we ever had)

What's new in the NFB-28  (2015):
1, The NFB-28  (2015) had separate the digital and analog parts, and a aluminium board between them as shield board.
2, The ACSS parts  had solder on the board directly but not the modules assemble.
3, The NFB-28  (2015) I2S input support DSD / DXD .
4, The NFB-28  (2015) had not normal high / low gain modes ,instead it had the Fast / Slow characteristic of the volume port can working as high / low gain state, the users don't need confuse which gain mode had the better sound anymore, the avoid the switch cause the sound quality degrade.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #806 of 2,104

Basically what Solude mentioned in this post was fixed:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676930/audio-gd-nfb-28/765#post_11284207

The DAC was removed from the main board, the analog and digital sections are separated by a shield, and now, to quote Solude, it is "not a lesser balanced amp to meet a price point, it's now a balanced lower power version of the 29." 

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #808 of 2,104
I'm interested in this product to use with headphones and computer speakers but I have some questions I couldn't find the answer to.

1. Are you able to use both the xlr and rca outputs at the same time?
2. When plugging in headphones, does it mute the xlr/rca outputs on the back?

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #809 of 2,104
I'm interested in this product to use with headphones and computer speakers but I have some questions I couldn't find the answer to.

1. Are you able to use both the xlr and rca outputs at the same time?
2. When plugging in headphones, does it mute the xlr/rca outputs on the back?

1. Yes, I use the XLR for my main power amp and 1 rca output for my sub
2. Yes, don't know if this also counts for the balanced headphone output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back