Audio-gd NFB-28
Feb 4, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #781 of 2,104

scizzro was operating on the knowledge of the impending 2015 version which is now.... OUT!  http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB282015/NFB282015EN.htm

At the asking price Audio-GD is really giving it away.  I'm excited =)

The extra $70 makes me sad.  :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #784 of 2,104
Exactly! Even $995 is a great price for what you get (in my system, NFB-28 was better than the balanced Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir).

Blame the Mjolnir 
tongue.gif

As fart as parts go, the NFB-28/29 is crammed to the brim though 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #785 of 2,104
Exactly! Even $995 is a great price for what you get (in my system, NFB-28 was better than the balanced Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir).

Blame the Mjolnir :p

No blaming on anyone, just because something is better doesn't make the other bad. Schiit is still a great minimalist design, unlike overkill power of Audio-GD. :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #786 of 2,104
  It shouldn't.  Just be glad it's not a more reasonable $995.

That's a ridiculous argument.  I can also be glad it's not $800 million.  The point is that it was 10% cheaper yesterday.

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #789 of 2,104

It was a lesser product yesterday too.  Just saying :p

Well they've made some changes.  But if I don't value those changes, it's not really more product for me.  I don't know if anyone is going to A/B the different versions to it's hard to say if the additions will affect the sound much (assuming you're not using the obvious changes like DSD over I2S).

My point being that, for me, I don't see much value in the additions... certainly not $70 worth... so I'd rather have the older one for cheaper.  YMMV obviously.

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #790 of 2,104
There's a 5% off sale right now, and they also added a high gain version for the HE-6. Lots going on with this update.

Also, @scizzro checked the noise levels with IEM's and says the background is black from top to bottom. Nice!

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #791 of 2,104
The changes are definitely nice... But I am really not a fan of the speed with which A-gd seems to upgrade or update their products. It botchers resale value and might make people feel like they bought the inferior version... There are 2+ updates every year sometimes.
It is enough to deter me for now, I guess.
I do applaud their passion and product development but as a customer, I am not too thrilled once I decide to buy a product of theirs. Or 6 months later I ain't 
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #792 of 2,104

My point being that, for me, I don't see much value in the additions... certainly not $70 worth... so I'd rather have the older one for cheaper.  YMMV obviously.

If money matters, the 10.33 is even less at $580 and if you prefer Wolfson, I do, it's also in that way under priced range.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #793 of 2,104

If money matters, the 10.33 is even less at $580 and if you prefer Wolfson, I do, it's also in that way under priced range.

Thanks, yes, I'm aware of that one.  I have a NFB-15 which uses the same DAC and I'm looking at this one specifically because it has the Sabre chip.

I am not sure why you're making such a big deal of a flippant comment.  Yes, money ALWAYS matters, especially for a brand that made its name being a good value for the money.  I see by your collection that you have plenty of money sunk into the hobby, and that's great.  It doesn't mean that others can't be disappointed by a not insignificant increase in price for dubious returns.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #794 of 2,104
I understand that you would rather have the 28 for less, who wouldn't, but this new 28 is a significant upgrade over the previous model.  

Revised dac, new amp, tweaked power supply, new volume control, shielded case. You also have to consider that the old 28 amp is from the days of the Phoenix circa 2009.  Audio-GD has come a long way since then.

That said, Kingwa is good guy.  Shoot him an email and see what happens.  It's currently $712.50 because of the sale, he might accept $680 if you're reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back