Audio-gd NFB-28
Dec 10, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #617 of 2,104
I'm willing buyer if anyone wants to offload their nfb28!

Haven't seen many of these for sale, they're pretty dope =)

ksc75smile.gif

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 13, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #618 of 2,104
Hi,

I'm the owner of a Hifiman HE-500 that i use with a SOTM SMS 100 mini server + Asus Essence STU (DAC). I want to upgrade my DAC/Headphone amp, the Essence STU and i think (after a lot of reading) that the NFB 28 is a great choice. I also plan to change my headphone cable by a balanced one.

So my problem is : will the NFB 28  fully work with the SOTM SMS 100?

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #619 of 2,104

Haven't seen many of these for sale, they're pretty dope =)

ksc75smile.gif

Yeah I have seen one or two and the last one I saw is the one I had bought thankfully got a nice fully balanced DAC and Amp for under 600$, especially with a good sabre dac and that it has the power to drive the hardest to drive headphones. I am very happy with this set up to be honest it ended my searching and experimentation with desktop gear. Then the dx90 and Ibasso pb2 ended my portable solution. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #620 of 2,104
  Got a quick question.  All set to order a NFB-28.  Wondering about ACSS ?.. Would a second RCA output have any real benefit or should I just stay the course and order as is ?  Im getting both tcxo upgrades and I have price and order # in hand.   Just thought I would touch this base before pulling the trigger.  I did read all 42 pages and didn't see this discussed at all.  All advise and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks 

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #621 of 2,104
  Got a quick question.  All set to order a NFB-28.  Wondering about ACSS ?.. Would a second RCA output have any real benefit or should I just stay the course and order as is ?  Im getting both tcxo upgrades and I have price and order # in hand.   Just thought I would touch this base before pulling the trigger.  I did read all 42 pages and didn't see this discussed at all.  All advise and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks 

I went with the extra RCA output and I'm glad I did because I just bought an amp with RCA inputs. The other RCA output goes to a subwoofer. In the future I may want to run two amps. The only reason I can see getting the ACSS output is if you are committed to buying an Audio-GD amp. Be sure to buy the aluminum remote - It is beautiful! Enjoy the NFB-28, I love mine!

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #622 of 2,104
I went with the extra RCA output and I'm glad I did because I just bought an amp with RCA inputs. The other RCA output goes to a subwoofer. In the future I may want to run two amps. The only reason I can see getting the ACSS output is if you are committed to buying an Audio-GD amp. Be sure to buy the aluminum remote - It is beautiful! Enjoy the NFB-28, I love mine!

Thanks catcherfly...I just wrote Audio-gd to change my order and get new  order #  for  2 unbalanced outputs instead of one in place of ACSS output.. .I'm running a couple of subs (Sb-13) with a pre amp but it cant hurt to get extra output..I went with both tcxo upgrades also..  Any clue to delivery  time ?  Im in Fl. 

Also nice that they have 5%  xmas -new year discount.. Thanks again 

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #623 of 2,104
Thanks catcherfly...I just wrote Audio-gd to change my order and get new  order #  for  2 unbalanced outputs instead of one in place of ACSS output.. .I'm running a couple of subs (Sb-13) with a pre amp but it cant hurt to get extra output..I went with both tcxo upgrades also..  Any clue to delivery  time ?  Im in Fl. 

Also nice that they have 5%  xmas -new year discount.. Thanks again 

I've ordered a few things from Audio-GD and both times took less than two weeks

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #624 of 2,104
I think I'm down to one question before pulling the trigger. Im going to use intially as discrete DAC. Can I set that from front panel or do i have to switch jumpers ? There also was something about setting volume at 50 for DAC. From my limited experience i would think set it at 80 ( highest level ) and use pre to adjust volume? Audio-gd (Grace) has been great getting quote and order # back to me and im psyched to place my order. Any information would be helpful to get my show on the road
Thanks.

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #625 of 2,104
To use it as a dac you just put it on the "p" setting on the front and use one of the outputs in the back. I actually always used mine at 65 for the volume setting without issue when using it as a pre/dac.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #627 of 2,104
I think i got similar fail to initiallize message when i change the usb port for nfb-28, but when i use same port as the 1 that i use when i install the driver the message is gone

Dear KnightThe2nd

I am using the NFB1 (2014) and encountered the same proble, while I uninstall and reinstall the driver the ASIO worked perfectly, but once I reboot the PC, the same symptom appeared, I can't imagine I have to reinstall the driver everytime I try to listen, are there any suggestion about the fix? thanks

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #628 of 2,104
  Dear KnightThe2nd

I am using the NFB1 (2014) and encountered the same proble, while I uninstall and reinstall the driver the ASIO worked perfectly, but once I reboot the PC, the same symptom appeared, I can't imagine I have to reinstall the driver everytime I try to listen, are there any suggestion about the fix? thanks

sorry for late reply, you already use the same USB port that you use to install the driver and still got the fail to initiallize message?
i never encounter that kind of error but maybe that kind of error due to error in your PC IRQ (interrup request)

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #629 of 2,104
  sorry for late reply, you already use the same USB port that you use to install the driver and still got the fail to initiallize message?
i never encounter that kind of error but maybe that kind of error due to error in your PC IRQ (interrup request)

Hi, I've been using the same port but after some trying found out the problem to be DO NOT USE the NFB-1 as DEFAULT DEVICE there are some remaining problems identified in the course to sort out the situiation:

1) ASIO not working if the NFB1 was set as default device

2) Even if DSD->PCM method was chosen, in Direct sound mode, the maximum bitrate is 176kbps, the 352kbps option only works in WASAPI mode

I have tried using different USB port as the installation, and found that if I set my internal soundcard as the default audio source, the ASIO will work perfectly.

Thanks man and hope my information will be useful to someone else.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #630 of 2,104
My apologies if this has been addressed before, but can anyone speak to the differences between this and the NFB-10.33 (or 10SE)?  I guess I really just don't understand all the technical mumbo-jumbo and I'm curious what the real-world effective differences are.  The NFB-10 is about $200 cheaper than the -28 and I suspect it can't just be the DAC that's the difference since the 15 and 11 are less than $100 apart.

I know the DAC's are different; I have an NFB-15 and the 10 series has the same dual Wolfson.   This has the Sabre DAC so it's going to sound brighter (relatively speaking).  That's about all I got.  

I ask because I have a new LCD-2 and I am considering moving to a balanced setup.  It's not my intention to cheap out here, but I don't want to spend $200 more if it's not going to be beneficial for my uses (e.g. if I'm paying for additional connections that I'll never use).  I've found A-GD to be a pretty good bang-for-the-buck and so they're the first brand I'm investigating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back