Audio-gd NFB-28
Jun 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #436 of 2,104
Here is an interesting read from official Audio-GD NFB-28 page about volume control:

The I/V conversion volume control without sound degradation

I am not saying it's not true, it might very well be. I just don't know what to believe any more. Lots of contradictions here at head-fi, enough to possibly question everything and anything [and things are questioned here on a daily basis]

Not aimed at you, just in general. Thanks for that link 
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #437 of 2,104
I am not saying it's not true, it might very well be. I just don't know what to believe any more. Lots of contradictions here at head-fi, enough to possibly question everything and anything [and things are questioned here on a daily basis]

Not aimed at you, just in general. Thanks for that link :beerchug:

The advantages of DACTs over POTs are not really of much debate even on HF.
There are people preferring POTs for their ability to set finer volume than a stepped DACT. For me the nfb28's 160 steps is fine enough for volume adjustments.

Top amps like GSX Mk2 offer the DACT volume control as an $200 upgrade over stock POTs. It is really a bargain to have it on nfb28 by default. But I guess there is no way for kingwa to include this on compass 2. Similarly, hifiman uses the stepped attenuation on its flagship hm901, but replaces it with POTs for it's little bro hm802.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #439 of 2,104
popcorn.gif
 Just bought one and want to keep an eye on this thread.

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #441 of 2,104
Currently just pairing it with HD650's, but am looking to upgrade those. 
dt880smile.png

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #442 of 2,104
Boy I've got to say this NFB-28 is one nice unit. I am currently using the HD650's with Oyaide cable. And the sound is pretty detailed yet smooth. Really liking it. 
gs1000.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #445 of 2,104
I have a NFB-10ES2 - same chip as the 28 (I am posting here since this thread has more action) and I am having issues connecting with my Mac using a 4m copper USB cable from Forza Audio Works. It used to work but at some point, I believe with a OS update, it stopped working. The computer sees the device but won't recognize it as an audio device. Occasionally I can make a connection (turning things on and off) but even then there is popping. I updated the Audio-GD firmware but that didn't help. Has anyone had any issues like this with their NFB DAC? I need a long USB cable for my setup and I wonder if anyone has had success with long flexible USB cables that work well with Audio-GD DACs. It works fine with all 1m cables that I've tried.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #446 of 2,104
  I have a NFB-10ES2 - same chip as the 28 (I am posting here since this thread has more action) and I am having issues connecting with my Mac using a 4m copper USB cable from Forza Audio Works. It used to work but at some point, I believe with a OS update, it stopped working. The computer sees the device but won't recognize it as an audio device. Occasionally I can make a connection (turning things on and off) but even then there is popping. I updated the Audio-GD firmware but that didn't help. Has anyone had any issues like this with their NFB DAC? I need a long USB cable for my setup and I wonder if anyone has had success with long flexible USB cables that work well with Audio-GD DACs. It works fine with all 1m cables that I've tried.

Just based on the symptoms you described it surely looks like a failed cable then issue on either the NFB28 or your computer.  If you're on Windows maybe you can uninstall and re-install the driver to see if that helps but it does looks like a cable issue. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #447 of 2,104
Thanks for your reply. I am waiting on an adapter for my theorem 720 so I can see if it works with another DAC - then i'll have a better sense. 4m is a long distance and some cables work better with one DAC than with another.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #448 of 2,104
I basically ordered one with the double TCXOs upgrade. Not sure if this upgrade is a replacement with better TCXOs or they will add them (are already present without the upgrade?)

Do you think that the NFB-28 used as Dac/Preamp with XLR balance output is a nice/big upgrade over the Nuforce Icon Hdp?

Thanks

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #449 of 2,104
  I basically ordered one with the double TCXOs upgrade. Not sure if this upgrade is a replacement with better TCXOs or they will add them (are already present without the upgrade?)

Do you think that the NFB-28 used as Dac/Preamp with XLR balance output is a nice/big upgrade over the Nuforce Icon Hdp?

Thanks

TCXOs are upgraded replacements.
My one cent, NFB28 exceeded expectations and battered known brand names in quality of sound.   

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #450 of 2,104

Thanks

Haven't heard the 28 nor the Icon HDP, but preamp usage seems to be a particular strong suit of the A-gd stuff. I seem to recall a couple of people mentioning how impressive the sound was with the 28 when using as a preamp, and the Master 8 I'm using is really, really impressive that way. Of course, you'll be able to tell us once yours arrives! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back