Audio-GD NFB-15.1 (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Sep 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #47 of 107
Quote:

Does the volume slider in the Windows mixer still work when using asio4all with Windows XP?  It did when I tried it.

FWIW, I ordered the TE8022 upgrade for my NFB-10SE from Audio-gd along with my NFB-15.1 (no extra shipping charge) after reading the reports of it being more cooperative with XP.

Yes, it does. But I'm not sure, if this is meaning, that Asio4all doesn't work under Windows XP, as it has other architecture, than Windows 7 or Vista.

This article expains it:
http://code.google.com/p/cmediadrivers/wiki/Bitperfect

On the software side, there are some more obstacles: in order to play multiple sounds simultaneously, a so called "kmixer" / "kernel audio mixer" (XP, 2000) respectively "audio service" (Vista) which is part of the sound subsystem of Windows mixes them together and adjusts the volume of the resulting stream. Contrary to popular belief, the kmixer of Windows 2000 and XP doesn't modify the sound and is thus bitperfect if these four conditions are met:
  • The PCM/wave volume slider of the mixer (sndvol32.exe) must be set at its maximum. Some start-up applications modify the volume slider (e.g. hardware monitoring tools from Asus).
  • The player must be compiled for the same architecture that the OS was compiled for - e.g. 32 bit player on a 32 bit OS, 64 bit player on a 64 bit OS. This is the case for the vast majority of installations because the 64 bit version of Windows XP isn't very commonly used.
  • Applications other than the player mustn't play sounds, otherwise the two output streams will be potentially sample rate converted and mixed.
  • Applications which are using the soundcard for recording have to use the same sample rate as concurrently running applications which are playing sounds - the soundcard has only one clock generator and hence this limitation arises.

I have also noticed, that when I am playing music over ASIO, and I'm using wave output (onboard audio), wave slider in windows control panel has no effect on sound. But when I play sound without ASIO, wave slider in windows control panel works normaly, and can adjust the sound.
So I think, when four above condictions are met, ASIO works under WindowsXP, and output signal is bitperfect.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #50 of 107
just received this bad boi - and i'm enjoying myself now = )

and oh me guuuud DHL was insanely fast at shipping, the order was placed the 17th september, and they knocked on my door now (21st september). Note that DHL got the package 19th september 22:05.

Internal post company (which has monopoly in Norway -.- ) would have taken 4-5days just transfering a package inside our country!

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #51 of 107
I promised that I would provide an update on my impressions of this product which I had the good fortune to win in a raffle at the recent Head-fi meet at Cambridge, UK (thank you Frank of Toxic Cables for providing this amazing prize). As I didn't buy it - I didn't even know what I'd won until I'd got it home - my comments can be taken as pretty unbiased.

I've had it for a week, used it quite a bit and played a wide variety of music though it. Throughout, the music has come from my iMac (ALAC files) via the USB and optical outlets and I've mainly used my Sennheiser HD650s, although I've also given my LCD2s and Westone 4Rs a try. I can't tell much difference between USB and optical - both sound good - but I've stuck with optical simply because it frees up a USB port. I've just used the cheap supplied cable via an adapter.

To cut to the chase, I really like this product. It connected immediately and faultlessly to my Mac and the sound was good straight from the box. I've always been a bit of an audio 'snob' and assumed that to get high quality sound you need separates and need to spend a decent amount of money (my current 'main' headphone rig is a Meridian 588 > Violectric v200 > LCD2) but this product has challenged that assumption. It sounds splendid; very 'analogue' and natural and has handled the wide range of music I've thrown at it with real authority, especially via the HD650s with which it seems to have particular synergy.

It doesn't seem to have any particularly noticeable faults and the sound is un-fatiguing in a good way - it really encourages you to keep listening. Instruments are presented naturally and it does a decent job in terms of imaging too - there's a sense of space and depth that I found really surprising and a good 'black' background. It's the sweetness of the sound that I like best and it manages to make some poor recordings that I normally wouldn't listen to though headphones sound acceptable. But don't be fooled into thinking the sound is laid back; bass is solid, sharp transients have good impact too and it can certainly rock - for example Bliss by Muse has plenty of impact.

As I mentioned it sounds great with the HD650s. To my 50yo ears this as a really satisfying combination and I could see many people being pretty happy with it. On high gain, I found a setting of around 9-11 o'clock was about right. It was fine too with the Westones, but I didn't sense any particular magic. Ditto with the LCD2s which were okay but may be just a bit too much of a challenge for the amp to really shine.

So, in conclusion, I think this is a really good product and excellent value at its price point. About the only thing you can really criticize is the construction which, while well made and solid, isn't especially refined. But I'd rather the money was spent on the sound, and it certainly seems to be here.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #53 of 107
Is anyone else having problems with the drivers? (atleast I think it's the drivers) The NFB-15.1 suddenly disappears from my pc system - and I lose all audio. When I try to reset the computer it's stuck on the "shut down" phase - forcing me to shut it down with cutting the power.
I've also had spontanious resets of the computer - However, I have not had any bluescreens.

should I downgrade the driver from 1.1 to 1.0 perhaps?

Also i'm running W7 64x home premium

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #54 of 107
Quote:
Is anyone else having problems with the drivers? (atleast I think it's the drivers) The NFB-15.1 suddenly disappears from my pc system - and I lose all audio. When I try to reset the computer it's stuck on the "shut down" phase - forcing me to shut it down with cutting the power.
I've also had spontanious resets of the computer - However, I have not had any bluescreens.

should I downgrade the driver from 1.1 to 1.0 perhaps?

Also i'm running W7 64x home premium

I believe another poster in this thread was having that issue.  I have not had any problems at all with three OSs, however I never updated the driver.  I'm still using V.1 and running great.

The only minor drawback I'm having is with Foobar and hi-rez files primarily.  I use different configs from Br3tt over at deviantArt and when I start messing with the tabs too much I get a very small delay in the music going from tab to tab.  It's very minor and I have isolated the problem to Foobar because it does not happen with iTunes, MusicBee or MediaMonkey.

I started sort of a troubleshooting thread with the TE8802 if you want to take a look...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627565/a-gd-tenor-te8802-thread-installation-successes-problems-troubleshooting

Cheers!!!

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #55 of 107
Thanks, I'll post my issue there!

Also I forgot to mention, when this problem occurs my entire PC slows down, and my processor work at 100% when i'm not running anything special (checked task manager)

I'll try downgrading the driver anyways!

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #58 of 107
Quote:
I am plugging the USB directly into the back of my pc

Ok.  Just throwing things out there to see.  I use mine with powered hubs (don't know if that is even the issue).  Brought it up because my NFB-16 (battery powered) does not like my laptop's usb port and was having the same issues you are describing (not disappearing but very sluggish).  It might be since it's battery powered, but it also has the TE8802.

Are you able to try the other inputs to isolate?  Maybe a dvd / cd player with optical or coax.

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #59 of 107
No I'm sorry, I live at a studentdorm - and I try to keep things very minimal and simple here (don't even own a tv) So I have no possibilities of trying the other outputs.

I downgraded the driver, I'll see if it happens again.

Another thing that seems to have caused it is when I leave my pc on, not doing anything (although there are a few programs up) when I come back to pc it usually has happened. Could it have something to do with the heat the NFB-15.1 produces? It gets warmer if I use it with low volume, I read it was due to the fact that it released the same amount of power, but doesn't send everyting to the cans, so the rest is released as heat or smth? something along those lines although I might be very wrong on how the heat process works!

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #60 of 107
So, it happens after several hours of use and not immediately?  Don't know about the heat.  Maybe...It does get hot but I notice it levels after about three to four hours.  When I first received it, I had it running non stop.  Yesterday, I ran it for about seven hours...Hopefully the downgrade of the driver helps...

Cheers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back