Audio-GD NFB-12
Oct 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #2,131 of 2,278
I recommend the usb over the optical. I lost a lot of the soundstaging with the optical. But as a warning I had to get another usb cable cause the one that came with the NFB-12 wasn't very good and I got some dropouts.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,132 of 2,278
Yeah, the only reason I've been using optical is for convenience sake, and because I'm running out of USB ports on my iMac. I need to get a usb hub or something. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #2,133 of 2,278
Quote:
I recommend the usb over the optical. I lost a lot of the soundstaging with the optical. But as a warning I had to get another usb cable cause the one that came with the NFB-12 wasn't very good and I got some dropouts.

Funny - with the original NFB-12 my understanding is complete opposite.  I noticed no difference in sound-stage between optical and USB, but there is apparently some treble roll-off with USB (there was a thread here quite a few months ago where it was discussed and even measured).  Can't say I notice any difference either way - I compared the two a lot when I first got the unit, and couldn't tell the difference.

I think that's why Audio-gd worked on the NFB-15 (essentially an NFB-12 with upgraded USB).

Go with what you prefer (some people prefer rolled off treble) - but my preference definitely optical in this case - simply because I can then use DSPs from my X-Fi if I'm gaming. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2,134 of 2,278
Quote:
Yeah, the only reason I've been using optical is for convenience sake, and because I'm running out of USB ports on my iMac. I need to get a usb hub or something. 

You should actually try comparing the two - and see if you can actually tell the difference.  Could be enlightening.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #2,135 of 2,278
With me I have to use a sound card with my NFB-12 Thur optical, or I get 50% volume when I got to play games. even tho the volume setting is maxed out in windows. Besides the TE7022 making the game stutter. I stil think the volume issue I have with games is a config issue on my end. Since I haven't seen some one mention that games output 50% volume from theirs NFB-12 usb connection. I don't know if it has something to do with the game using the windows sound mixer, or something else.  Interesting enough It doesn't happen when I using a music program even while using Wave out.

I would love to be able to use the USB TE7702  without using a sound card as a Digital transport for gaming if it would just output at 100% volume gaming and not 50%, so I can remove that DG out and have room for Crossfire. Yea I'd use my VIA onboard Spdif out if that wasn't full of similar audio glitch.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #2,136 of 2,278
That's interesting. Are you using an aftermarket optical cable? I tried the one that came with the unit.

Quote:

Funny - with the original NFB-12 my understanding is complete opposite.  I noticed no difference in sound-stage between optical and USB, but there is apparently some treble roll-off with USB (there was a thread here quite a few months ago where it was discussed and even measured).  Can't say I notice any difference either way - I compared the two a lot when I first got the unit, and couldn't tell the difference.

I think that's why Audio-gd worked on the NFB-15 (essentially an NFB-12 with upgraded USB).

Go with what you prefer (some people prefer rolled off treble) - but my preference definitely optical in this case - simply because I can then use DSPs from my X-Fi if I'm gaming. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #2,137 of 2,278
Quote:
That's interesting. Are you using an aftermarket optical cable? I tried the one that came with the unit.

Yep - that's the same cable I'm using.

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #2,139 of 2,278
The OS changes the way the DA outputs the audio wave. Supposedly the higher the Oversampling the smoother the waveform.

The filter switch gives you an option of differing lowpass filters. All DA's have lowpass filters to get rid of digital noise. This one just gives you the option of different ones.

It's best to try different one's and see what sounds best to you. I'm using 2x oversampling Linear phase softknee filter right now with my Sennheiser HD-545's.
Quote:
Could someone please explain to me what the OS and FILTER switches do? Is there any way to get a neutral output from this thing?

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #2,141 of 2,278
Audio-gd posted frequency response graphs of the different settings on their website:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB12/NFB12EN_Specs.htm

For me the most obvious difference between the filters is the degree of treble roll-off. All the 2X OS settings have early roll-off. The 8X OS are essentially flat within audible range. With 4X OS, you have the choice. I use the Linear phase "Brickwall" filter simply because it's the 4X OS filter with the best treble extension.

The difference between minimum phase and linear phase has to do with how the pre-ringing and post-ringing are filtered. See this.

I've been meaning to add switches to my NDB-12 so I can more easily compare the filters... but I still haven't figured a clean way to mount the switches. Just thinking about machining such big holes into the enclosure makes me uncomfortable.

These days i just leave the cover unscrewed, so that I can still change the filters without tools. Besides the treble extension, I really can't tell what else is different, even if it seems obvious from the paper I posted. I just wish I knew which one was objectively the best, the one that more precisely reproduces the original analog signal. My guess would be 8X OS, Minimum phase apodizing filter. Sad it's limited to 48Khz input though.

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #2,142 of 2,278
I tend to use 4x Minimum Phase Soft knee filter my self, some times i try 8x  Minimum phase apodizing but usually switch back.

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2,143 of 2,278
Could somebody point me to an explanation of all this "linear soft knee minimum phase brickwall" jargon? And also how each term corresponds to the switches on the front of my 12.1?

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #2,144 of 2,278
Oct 31, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #2,145 of 2,278
I can't believe I missed that. Thanks for the link.

So it looks like I have it set to 8x oversampling, linear apodising filter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back