Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 17, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #1,712 of 2,278

Quote:
No. There is a theoretical difference, but it should be far from audible.

This is your opinion, but there's a big difference in measured jitter between most a typical optical output and a good coax cable, and it does affect the sound.  That said, people perceive this with varying degrees of intensity, and IMHO there's a lot of snake-oil over-hyping jitter reduction.  It's a complex subject, though, and simple answers aren't always good answers...  

One thing is sure; you do have to have a player with a low-jitter output for coax to be better than TOSLINK, and if it's just a typical commercial player that is not likely to be the case...  You also need a real 75 ohm cable, some people just grab any old interconnect and assume it will work.  It will, but it really degrades the timing of the signal.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,713 of 2,278
This is your opinion, but there's a big difference in measured jitter between most a typical optical output and a good coax cable, and it does affect the sound.  That said, people perceive this with varying degrees of intensity, and IMHO there's a lot of snake-oil over-hyping jitter reduction.  It's a complex subject, though, and simple answers aren't always good answers...  

One thing is sure; you do have to have a player with a low-jitter output for coax to be better than TOSLINK, and if it's just a typical commercial player that is not likely to be the case...  You also need a real 75 ohm cable, some people just grab any old interconnect and assume it will work.  It will, but it really degrades the timing of the signal.

I never said there was no difference, just that - if properly implemented - the difference is not audible.
An audible difference suggests that there is something wrong with the source of the data (a CD player or computer), the cable or with the DAC itself.

I am making the assumption that the NFB-12 uses a proper implementation of both coax and optical connection, therefore there should be no audible difference between the two. If there is then it's most likely caused by a faulty cable or by an improper implementation of the connection by the CD player/computer.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #1,715 of 2,278

Finally got it! Sounds quite epic.

Anyone know how this sound thing works on Windows? If I start to listen music on Foobar, then stop it and resume video in VLC there wont be any sound until I restart VLC player.

Edit: switched to optical/spdif whatever, seems to be working now.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #1,716 of 2,278
congrats, glad you like the unit. You must be using WASPI output i assume? it stops all sounds from interfering with your music in foobar. Happens for me too, I need to switch back forth when  I want to watch a youtube video or something, I would need to stop foobar, restart my chrome in order to have sound again. Maybe someone has a solution to this or a workaround because it does get annoying if you're doing switches quite often.

Quote:

Finally got it! Sounds quite epic.

Anyone know how this sound thing works on Windows? If I start to listen music on Foobar, then stop it and resume video in VLC there wont be any sound until I restart VLC player.

Edit: switched to optical/spdif whatever, seems to be working now.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,717 of 2,278
You might be able to de-sellect the 'exclusive sound' flag in the audio driver page but I haven't bothered to play with it myself.  I know that flag will let you get computer sounds back but I'm not sure about with Wasabi.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,719 of 2,278
Jan 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,720 of 2,278
That does look like it would definitely worth $15 if you like to play around with the sound. I haven't been looking at head-fi in a long time but I just read a review that reminded me how crappy my udac-2 is and this looks like the perfect replacement product for at my computer desk that is actually designed properly and a great value.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #1,722 of 2,278
I'm Looking at buying the NFB-12 but aren't 100% sure. I'm going to be using it mainly with my AKG K702's but also with my Shure SHR440's and Alessandro MS1's. Will this amp have good synergy with the 702's and enough power? The other product that has been suggested is the Matrix M-Stage. Which do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Blake.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,724 of 2,278
I'm pretty sure it has more power than you will ever need - can't speak for synergy though but I'm guessing you'll be good.  Personally, I'd pick the -12.

Quote:
I'm Looking at buying the NFB-12 but aren't 100% sure. I'm going to be using it mainly with my AKG K702's but also with my Shure SHR440's and Alessandro MS1's. Will this amp have good synergy with the 702's and enough power? The other product that has been suggested is the Matrix M-Stage. Which do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Blake.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,725 of 2,278

go straight to 10SE, TOTL wm8741 based 
L3000.gif

Quote:

Thanks
Blake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back