Audio-GD NFB-12
Sep 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,366 of 2,278
The NFB 12 has enough power to easily blow a moving coil or balanced armature if the volume is at max and the gain is on high and you load up something with any bass at all.  It can put out a whopping 3W for low impedance cans.  High Z cans will be immune, as the power falls off at higher impedances due to voltage-swing limitations.  With about 1.75WPC into 25ohms, a set of IEMs would be smoldering.

The only real risk is not listening level power, it's having the knob get turned up by a kid, a stupid or malicious prankster, the cat, angry-ex, or whatever.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,369 of 2,278
I am quite upset that I made the purchased right before their digital filter upgrade.
They should make customer aware of the changes.  They know it is coming but still tried to sell old model.
So I paid the same price for an instant "obsolete" model.

I tried to contact them to find a solution e.g. an add-on model or something like that.
But not a single word from them.  (They usually reply within an hour.)

So disappointed with their customer support.  So be cautious with their claimed warranty.
Guess that is the last product I will buy from them.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,372 of 2,278

Quote:
I'm making a purchase soon, I just can't decide between getting this dac or the project sunrise tube amp?  I'm thinking if I start w/ the dac I could find a cheap vintage amp to use for the hp out and a set of bookshelfs.  

I'm really wondering what you guys think is the better starting point dac or amp?

This is for my laptop that limits me to the usb out.  I have many sacd rip .isos at 24/96 24/192 etc. tons of flac 16/44.1 and some 24/96 24/192 etc. Largely classical, also classic rock like led zep, grateful dead concerts, hendrix.  HPs are sony mdr-v6(for now)

Anyone?  bang for the buck, DAC vs Tube amp for first purchase?

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,373 of 2,278
Frankly I don't think these are comparable.
For a car purchase, I am aware of the model change well before the sales of new models. Manufacturers provide that information early and clearly.
In addition, I get great discounts for the model at end of its life cycle.

If I got it even a months before the new model, I have no problem at all. 
I just don't like it when it is just a few days apart.  They provide a better model for the same price just when I got it?  Do you think it is fair?  
To me, they just trying to dump the stock of old units.

In addition, when I tried to contact them, there is no single word of reply.   That is not how you treat a customer.

Quote:
Are you this upset when you by a new car only to discover a new model comes out the next year? Ask if you can exchange it, they can only say no.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,374 of 2,278

Quote:

In addition, when I tried to contact them, there is no single word of reply.   That is not how you treat a customer.

sometimes they take a couple days to respond, but they always end up responding sooner or later.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,375 of 2,278
yeh, I've been burned many a times with model upgrades..

If it makes you feel any better, i can't hear a lick of difference between the 9 different flavours..  but that said i'm only using a HD555.. 
Ive got the NFB-5 and i can switch between them instantly..

I think the difference is super small that you could hear if you had hifi headphones.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #1,376 of 2,278
im hearing the difference, at least with the 8x minimum phase apodising vs. 8x linear phase half band filter for backward

Quote:
yeh, I've been burned many a times with model upgrades..

If it makes you feel any better, i can't hear a lick of difference between the 9 different flavours..  but that said i'm only using a HD555.. 
Ive got the NFB-5 and i can switch between them instantly..

I think the difference is super small that you could hear if you had hifi headphones.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #1,377 of 2,278
You CAN adjust the filters on the old NFB-12 model, it requires lifting pins off the PCB for the WM8741chips. It's not even remotely as convenient, especially if you can't precisely solder it back on to try other settings. Before the new model was available with the filter adjustments, people were doing this to adjust filters.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #1,379 of 2,278

Quote:
I think almost everyone is using it on high. There's general consensus that low takes a lot of the life and PRaT out of the sound and there was speculation high was 0dB and low -12dB. If you haven't listened on high yet, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I haven't heard any reports of damage at high setting - where did you read this? Just take normal precautions.

Have noticed when it's on low it sounds pretty boring and very flat, But ill continue to leave it on high and hope nothing happens.

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,380 of 2,278
yeah same, now i have it on high gain, sounds better but I can barely adjust the volume on my tube amp since its so loud already. The volume is at around 8oclock right now and can barely handle it.... Are you guys using it as preamp or just dedicated dac?

Quote:

Have noticed when it's on low it sounds pretty boring and very flat, But ill continue to leave it on high and hope nothing happens.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back