Audio-GD NFB-12
Sep 6, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #1,262 of 2,278
Yes it has a dedicated DAC, and a good one at that.
In fact I use only the DAC section, and even then it's still worth the $200.

In my opnion it's more like a DAC with a 'mini' headphone amp circuit. And besides, a good amp is good for a DAC as well, since the signal needs to be amplified to line level in any case.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #1,263 of 2,278
So, it does not have a dedicated AMP?

Quote:
Yes it has a dedicated DAC, and a good one at that.
In fact I use only the DAC section, and even then it's still worth the $200.

In my opnion it's more like a DAC with a 'mini' headphone amp circuit. And besides, a good amp is good for a DAC as well, since the signal needs to be amplified to line level in any case.

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #1,265 of 2,278
Does that mean, for example, someone with an HD 650 (which is supposed to scale well) and an NFB-12 could scale to notably better sound quality by buying a better Amp to add after the NFB-12?

In other words how much does the NFB-12 Amp leave to be desired?

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #1,267 of 2,278
Would you consider the NFB-12 to be at this "Hi-Fi" level?

I don't quite understand what you mean.
Does that mean, for example, someone with an HD 650 (which is supposed to scale well) and an NFB-12 could scale to notably better sound quality by buying a better Amp to add after the NFB-12?

In other words how much does the NFB-12 Amp leave to be desired?

I notice that my Little Dot MKIV sounds noticeably better than the NFB-12's headphone output.
It's not a huge difference, but in my opinion still worth the money.

Therefore I would say that the amp of the NFB-12 does leave something to be desired, and it's worth investing in a better amp and using the NFB-12 as a dedicated DAC. Especially having future headphone upgrades in mind.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #1,268 of 2,278
I agree with Tilpo.  Based on what I've heard so far, the headphone output on the NFB-12 is nothing special - I had hoped for better.  It's usable, but it doesn't do justice to better headphones.  On bad recordings where you want to minimize the details/harshness, etc, it could be beneficial, but it's not at all revealing and PRaT isn't really there to my ears.  I haven't done any comparisons to see how it compares with the headphone outs of my Sony ES pre-amp, but I'll try that later.  Most of my listening has been with 600ohm DT880's, so I may do more listening later with low impedance IEMs to double check these impressions.

The DAC is definitely an improvement over my Sony ES built-in DACs though.  I'm satisfied with it as a DAC.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #1,269 of 2,278
There are alot of late comers to this thread. This is one of the best DAC/HEADPHONE units available. There are few DACS greater than this<$1000/Best Solid State Headphone Amp, Jump in there if you can!

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,270 of 2,278
Best solid state headphone amp? I'm curious after Tilpo and captouch's comments if this is sufficient to do justice to higher end stuff like say LCD-2's. I'm just thinking ahead in case I upgrade, but from what I'm hearing it seems this DAC is sufficient at least, but the Amp might be lacking?

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,272 of 2,278
To be honest, I think the amp section certainly does fine for this price range, if you consider it as mainly being a DAC and the amp being a bonus feature.  It's just not up to it against amps that are in a bit higher prices ($200 to $400).  I think the DAC section has goods and bads too.

I sold the NFB-12 a while ago and went to the Little Dot DAC_I and MK VII+.
Yesterday I just received the Matrix mini-i, burning in now.

I think later I'll post a comparison and thoughts about these setups.

For now I can just say if you want to get the most out of expensive headphones,
you're probably missing quite a lot you can experience if you just stick to combo units like the NFB-12..

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #1,275 of 2,278

Quote:
Best solid state headphone amp? I'm curious after Tilpo and captouch's comments if this is sufficient to do justice to higher end stuff like say LCD-2's. I'm just thinking ahead in case I upgrade, but from what I'm hearing it seems this DAC is sufficient at least, but the Amp might be lacking?

I don't think you can spend $250 and get a good DAC and something that will do justice to the LCD-2's.  There's a whole long thread on amplification for the LCD-2's, which I've heard are power-hungry.  So if you buy this, buy it for the DAC.  With coax/opt/USB and 9-way digital filters, you'll have a lot of versatility on inputs and digital filter tuning.  You can use the HP out in the interim (I agree with zenki14, look at it as a bonus), while you research the best amp choice for the LCD-2's.  As long as you do your homework/research, what you buy later as an amp will be a nice upgrade from the NFB-12 HP outs and you'll have a nice DAC feeding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back