Audio-GD NFB-12
Apr 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #902 of 2,278
tim3320070, thanks for your answers.

It's good to know that the klipsch's work well on the nfb-12, as I'll be using similarly sensitive iem's.

One more thing, how long can I expect the audio gd to last- mechanical build quality?

Ibasso d4/fiio e7 are still running perfectly after around 1 year. Fiio e9 starting to give one problem now after 6 months- slightly noisy volume knob. Nuforce udac2- well better left unsaid. I felt bad about expecting this thing to work for a day even, poor piece of junk!
All I believe are made in china..so it don't matter always where it's made from.

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #904 of 2,278
Arrived this morning.  Paid 21st Feb, shipped out 22nd April, arrived 28th April.
Not too bad considering the shortage of cases and overwhelming orders from the end of last year (however initial word from Edwin was mid March).

Pretty hardcore packing in the box.  Tape, tape, tape.

My first impressions (just USB because I'm waiting for a short coax cable to arrive).  I'm surprised with the power this compact device brings out.  It's actually beyond my imagination that burning in will brighten it up and bring out even more as others said, because it feels like this thing is kicking full guts out of my DT990 600ohm already.

Volume I like is about 12 o'clock at high gain for the DT990 which is pretty power hungry.  Synergy with bright cans seems to be true, the NFB-12 is very very neutral.  However the treble of DT990 still stings for many songs so I had to EQ it down to atleast listen for few hours.  Makes me think I won't need the Sabre DAC models if I'm staying with bright cans and only have recordings up to 48kHz 16bit.

Noise is so, so low, like nothing atleast with my PC's USB.  I used the SE535 to check, I can't hear anything when music is paused or stopped.  Excellent.

I want to proceed with burning in, but I'm wondering what to do.  Should I just let it play music 24/7 through my DT990 or speakers?  Or can the headphones be plugged out, speakers turned off while I'm not in front of the PC?

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #905 of 2,278

Quote:
Can't answer that. I have had 8 different AGD products with no issues over the last 2 years. They are not perfect but no one is, at least Kingwa takes care of things if they go wrong and he is someone I trust.

8 agd products with no issues over the last 2 years. I'm sold. Cheers.

Can wait for around 2 months by the looks of it, thats okay.

Again thanks for your clear responses. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #906 of 2,278
They used to be about a month for products to get to your door but they are growing a lot it seems and it's taking quite a while for their popular items (like the NFB12). Well worth the wait IMO. Gee, there I go again with the fanboy-ism. What I am really a fan of is good value for the buck.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #907 of 2,278

Quote:
Arrived this morning.  Paid 21st Feb, shipped out 22nd April, arrived 28th April.
Not too bad considering the shortage of cases and overwhelming orders from the end of last year (however initial word from Edwin was mid March).

Pretty hardcore packing in the box.  Tape, tape, tape.

My first impressions (just USB because I'm waiting for a short coax cable to arrive).  I'm surprised with the power this compact device brings out.  It's actually beyond my imagination that burning in will brighten it up and bring out even more as others said, because it feels like this thing is kicking full guts out of my DT990 600ohm already.

Volume I like is about 12 o'clock at high gain for the DT990 which is pretty power hungry.  Synergy with bright cans seems to be true, the NFB-12 is very very neutral.  However the treble of DT990 still stings for many songs so I had to EQ it down to atleast listen for few hours.  Makes me think I won't need the Sabre DAC models if I'm staying with bright cans and only have recordings up to 48kHz 16bit.

Noise is so, so low, like nothing atleast with my PC's USB.  I used the SE535 to check, I can't hear anything when music is paused or stopped.  Excellent.

I want to proceed with burning in, but I'm wondering what to do.  Should I just let it play music 24/7 through my DT990 or speakers?  Or can the headphones be plugged out, speakers turned off while I'm not in front of the PC?

I believe with burning in a DAC it simply has to be powered on and nothing else. You could probably get away with just unplugging headphones and turning off your speakers while playing music.

NFB-12 definitely works well with bright headphones in general. My M-Audio AV40 speakers are somewhat on the bright side as well and the NFB-12 greatly improved them for my tastes, while maintaining their high level of detail.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #909 of 2,278
Thanks for the suggestions
smile.gif

I'll see how it turns out after 200 hours..

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #910 of 2,278
Quote:
according to the website, the DI is mostly for improving on poor coax sources: [size=x-small]The coaxial input can improve on SQ from some low/mid rang coaxial output source. Like some DVD player, PC sound card, low/mid rang CDP like the Marantz CD67, ect. If the coaxial output source already quite Hi-end, don't expect the Digital Interface can improve on SQ.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]

Yeah, I was confused about that discription as worded myself.  From what I understand my Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi AP mobo and Asus D2X soundcard
COAX-OUTs are at best "Mid range" products. "already quite High-end" is Pro-Audio spec.  way above "consumer grade" that I have.

Digital Interface ver.A COAX-IN w/ regulated power, Shapes and Defines the music so exquisitely.. that I would not like the "sound" of my DAC without it.
(that statement i would have laughed at a few months ago) but the proof is in my pudding... and it tastes sooo good in my tummy!
I would be very sad without my DI ver.A, it makes that much difference to me.

Who the H*lls would've thought I'd be singing the praises of a freaking "Interface" when I have a new NFB-11 Sabre32 DAC?? 
This is a strange World indeed.....  :)

P.S. the above statements are valid for DI ver.A COAX-IN usage only !  USB-IN on both devices sound quite poor compared.

May 3, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #912 of 2,278
DHL just handed me mine right now, 15 minutes before I have to leave for class. 5 minutes later after unboxing and listening to them on my Denon and I'll be a bit late today! haha. People weren't kidding about D2000 amped vs unamped, so much fuller sounding now!!!

I don't think I need to have the XB1000 anymore from this quick listen!

May 3, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #915 of 2,278
I just looked at their website , and it said "For Order" , so that means it's not "In Stock"...  so it will take at least seven to eight weeks before it arrives at your door. If it was "In Stock" , it would take one to two weeks to arrive at your door.  It always took eight days to get to my door after I got an e-mail shipping confirmation from Audio-GD. Three times , seems consistent.

Quote:
If I were to order one tomorrow, how long would delivery be to the U.S. east coast? I would like to have one for its DAC. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back