Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #376 of 2,278

Quote:
Slaughter, you probably heard it already, but just wanted to remind you that many people think the sound will change a lot and settle after ~300 hours of use. I almost always listen for the first 10-30 hours and not do any burn-in or warm-up when I get a new gear because I think the first hours of listening is when the sound characteristics of a new gear is most apparent,  because new changes to your setup may be easier to discern, and/or because it is minimally burned in or warmed up.

Agreed.
Every one of my Audio-gd pieces sounds like you're describing before a good week of use. A little congested and lacking some detail. I am a skeptic of cables and such but I do believe the sounds refines after a few hundred hours. I have ordered this and will test it out. It will compare to my Ref-8/ Phoenix rig.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #377 of 2,278
Got the email that mine has been shipped.

Already got a HD-650 and DT 880 on the way !!

I'm starting to think that I need to get a really bad cold so I stay at home for some days ....

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #378 of 2,278

Quote:
Got the email that mine has been shipped.

Already got a HD-650 and DT 880 on the way !!

I'm starting to think that I need to get a really bad cold so I stay at home for some days ....

Which version of the DT880 did you get?
I'd love to hear your impressions after all 3 components have burned in. I've been going back and forth between buying the 880, 990, or the 650. I haven't been able to hear any of them locally, so I decided to just save up for a bit, and to enjoy the NFB-12 for a while before getting anything more.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #379 of 2,278
YES!! I just got an email that mine was sent out yesterday!! I'm in america so probably a week or so right?  DHL is usually pretty fast so I'm thinking a week is about right.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #380 of 2,278
A week sounds right. Mine was less than a week to Texas.

Quote:
YES!! I just got an email that mine was sent out yesterday!! I'm in america so probably a week or so right?  DHL is usually pretty fast so I'm thinking a week is about right.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #381 of 2,278

Quote:
I guess I should feel lucky; I got notice that mine had just been shipped out, and I waited until Dec31st to place my order!

I had been talking with them about the NFB-12 for a couple weeks earlier than that, but I don't see why/how they'd start building anything before I made the official order..

I ordered mine around the same time, but they said it would ship mid-Feb when I ordered.  I am anxious to see how this performs compared to a few home built DACs, including a dual WM8741 DAC I built.  FWIW, I think integrated gives the best signal integrity.  If only this had a relay driven R2R pot instead of the wire...but that is in their higher end offerings.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #382 of 2,278
Haven't been on Head-fi for a while, I had ordered my NFB-12 in November, and was just browsing through here checking for updates, now reading some people ordered in December and theres have shipped already, I sent an email to audio-gd canceling my order.  Was looking forward to it, but imo thats just messed up.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #383 of 2,278

Quote:
Haven't been on Head-fi for a while, I had ordered my NFB-12 in November, and was just browsing through here checking for updates, now reading some people ordered in December and theres have shipped already, I sent an email to audio-gd canceling my order.  Was looking forward to it, but imo thats just messed up.

I followed up with audio gd on my payment just to confirm that it would go out.  Did you get a confirmation email after you payed them and did your payment go through?  Who knows, maybe they're sending it out in alphabetical order or maybe they just don't like DSM's haha. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #384 of 2,278
Well I got an update with Audio-Gd, I explained to them what happened, and when I ordered.  They said they'll manage to get one shipped before the festival so that's good.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #386 of 2,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With the forward mids, deep bass and smooth top end, this might be a perfect match for the 880/600.

This is pretty much the same conclusion most other people have come to with the Sparrow/FUN with WM8741 for the DT880/DT990. With the WM8741 they're slightly warm on the sound signature and smooth over the shrill frequencies and sibilance on the Beyers, while still retaining the great level of detail that the Beyers are known for and providing a small extra kick of bass. Using my Sparrow with my T1 was very nice all around and I really had no complaints, since the T1 is more or less a super-DT880 the result should be pretty similar.

NFB-12 + DT880 600-Ohm is probably the best all-around mid-fi selection I can think at only ~$400 for the combo (excl tax and shipping).

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #387 of 2,278

Yeah, I am tempted to buy it again because it seems to address the issues I had with the 880. Mainly the bass and mids. I will wait until I have a few more hours on it to see if I am going to keep it. I also have Bottlehead Crack tube amp on the way, so I need to throw that into the mix as well.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With the forward mids, deep bass and smooth top end, this might be a perfect match for the 880/600.

This is pretty much the same conclusion most other people have come to with the Sparrow/FUN with WM8741 for the DT880/DT990. With the WM8741 they're slightly warm on the sound signature and smooth over the shrill frequencies and sibilance on the Beyers, while still retaining the great level of detail that the Beyers are known for and providing a small extra kick of bass. Using my Sparrow with my T1 was very nice all around and I really had no complaints, since the T1 is more or less a super-DT880 the result should be pretty similar.

NFB-12 + DT880 600-Ohm is probably the best all-around mid-fi selection I can think at only ~$400 for the combo (excl tax and shipping).

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #388 of 2,278
Slaughter: Nice write-up.  I'd too be interested to see how you felt after leaving it switched on for a couple of weeks.  Also as a source for the Crack when it arrives.  I'd agree though that the best match with the low-end Audio-gd gear tended to be low-impedance cans, even the LCD-2s.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #390 of 2,278
You can see my review on the previous page which included some impressions with the m50. I need to spend some dedicated time with it though. I'll update my review in a week or so. The only negative was the bass was boomy and went into the lower mids. This will hopefully tighten up. The somewhat smooth highs were nice match fir the m50. The MUDs were brought out as well if I remember correctly.

Slaughter:

Did you have a change to use it with your M50s? If you did, how did it sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back