Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #288 of 2,278
FWIW I have a Fun going to a Parasound Zamp and Paradigm Titans in my living room for family listening. It's far from as detailed as my main headphone rig, but it sounds quite good. If the NFB-12 is voiced as the Sparrow and Fun are, then it'll sound great IMO.

As for the S/PDIF cable: Indeed get something like the Blue Jeans 75 Ohm cable. Sure the RCA plugs, by their nature, can't be 75 Ohm, but it'll be close enough if using the Canare plugs. It's not a big deal though as it wont matter a great deal for gear in this price range.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #292 of 2,278
Has anyone purchased from Pacific Valve before?

I'm currently doing research on what to get for a headphone rig and this dac is under consideration although it is still new so the jury isn't out on the product yet. I'd prefer to order from a US based company due to ease of shipping in case anything happens and communication and of course the shipping. I'm also not close as I have quite a bit of research to do on various dac's as I'm not too well versed on what dac's are good or not.

This product is still new so not sure if this can be answered but how is it as an all in one unit for headphones such as the DT880/600 or any hard to drive headphone or would it be better off just to separate the dac and amp? The specs do look good but specs don't tell the whole story.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #293 of 2,278
Well if any one is driving ther DT880/600 with Audio-gd Sparrow or FUN then the NFB-12 will do it equally good.

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #294 of 2,278
Sparrow can drive the 600-Ohm beyers just fine.. my T1 on the Sparrow never went above about 10 o'clock on the volume, anything much higher than 12 was far too loud. The Sparrow is +6 gain at stock, so the NFB-12 with gain set to high (+12) should be even easier for the DT880 600-Ohm. Going to an amp over twice as powerful for 600-Ohm was a bit underwhelming as the Sparrow already drove them just fine.

The NFB-12 should have very good synergy with the DT880 as it leans slightly on the warm side which is favorable synergy with the DT880. I'm personally in belief that the DT880 + NFB-12 combo can't be beat for the price in mid-fi.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #295 of 2,278
"Has anyone purchased from Pacific Valve before?"

Yes, when I needed a replacement socket for a tube amp they wouldn't sell me one or advise where to buy it. A friend tried to get some missing screws for his remote but they had none. PV buys unaltered products directly from China and customers pay a huge markup for service they don't deliver.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #296 of 2,278
Audio-GD has promised me 3 different shipping dates and as of today, they missed the third date. Very poor service. I understand the reason for the delays, but then don't give dates. A lot of people at head-fi would be more than willing to update their English page so it is more understandable and to provide updates. Easily solution to a serious problem.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #297 of 2,278

Quote:
Audio-GD has promised me 3 different shipping dates and as of today, they missed the third date. Very poor service. I understand the reason for the delays, but then don't give dates.

I don't email them about it and don't ask for dates so I am not disappointed *yet* :)  Figured this course of action would be less stressful on myself.  I will be pleasantly surprised when the NFB-12 suddenly show up in my mailbox :)

But yes, I agree with you. I think the problem lately with them is that they felt compelled to give dates to get a little working room while consistently missing it, giving their customers an impression that they are being lied to or are fed whatever just to get them off their back.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #299 of 2,278
I ordered mine about a week before christmas and I'm hoping it gets here before the end of january.  Guess only time will tell right?

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #300 of 2,278

Quote:
Audio-GD has promised me 3 different shipping dates and as of today, they missed the third date. Very poor service. I understand the reason for the delays, but then don't give dates. A lot of people at head-fi would be more than willing to update their English page so it is more understandable and to provide updates. Easily solution to a serious problem.

I am in the same boat.  I was told a couple weeks ago that it would ship today.  So I emailed today asking for an update to which they responded - now delayed until "around Feb 15th."  Disappointing, but I guess I'll keep waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back